Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

skin cream for a sharpei cross

Hogansma
July 23rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
I volunteer at a local shelter and there is a young adult female sharpei (spelling?) cross there. Her general hair condition is not good but that may be due to diet and will come around as she eats better quality food. I bathed her today but she still doesn't look very good. The skin on her face and especially around her mouth is rather leathery looking and am wondering if there is a skin cream I can get over the counter that may help her but will be okay in the wrinkles too. Has anyone had any experience with this?

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Has she had a Vet check at the shelter to make sure she doesn't have a skin fungus or infection Hogansma ? I imagine that something like vaseline and bag balm or anything with lanolin would be a no-no because it would act as a barrier trapping moisture and bacteria ~ which as you know is a no-no with Shar-pei's crinkles. Howz your old doggie doing btw ?

Hogansma
July 24th, 2007, 12:26 AM
She goes to the clinic soon to be spayed so I'll ask the staff about her skin too but often they are busy with much bigger problems and skin is not high on the priority list. Her coat is in really bad condition so she hasn't been looked after very well. I don't know much about sharpei's but enough that they need a lot of care for the wrinkles and cleaning. I'm bringing her food from home too.

Thanks for asking about my old girl, Bailey. She gets better every day! My son calls her a "little ray of sunshine" and I agree. I've had her about a month now and she seems so much more alert and even younger than when we first took her in. Her arthritis is better cause she gets a lot of exercise just following me around the house and she smiles continously. What a sweety.