Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my puppy has sore foot, therefore cant evercise and is now a nightmare

siestam
July 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
I am not sure what to do. I have a 5 month old hound mix who has been the best behaved puppy ever. Now all that is turning. I think I ran him too much as a small pup(APROX. 1 mile /day) and now he has a limp. been to vet, had meds. Still imps, i cant keep him off of his foot. we live in the woods he watches his lil' sister play in the woods all day and has begun to behave badly, b/c he doesnt get exercise. HELP, Mike in Fl

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
Swimming is an excellent alternative to hard-surface play. What was your dog's diagnoses ?

siestam
July 24th, 2007, 01:32 AM
my dogs was not clearly diagnosed at the vet. They gave him some ibuprofen, and told me to keep him off of it. He is only limoing after a nap or in the AM after a goood day of playing.
Swimming has helped, but he tends to want to run more.
thanks for the info-

OC_Spirit
July 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Do you feed kibble or raw? If kibble, take each meal, soak it in water for a bit (till it get a bit mushy), stuff it in a kong and freeze it. The stuffed frozen kong will keep him busy for a while and work his mind. If he is mentally tired it will help keep him calmer. I did this when my boy got neutered and had to stay quiet. Worked like a charm!

siestam
July 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
good idea, i'll try it

mummummum
July 24th, 2007, 07:39 PM
The next time you are at your Vet you may want to talk about arthritis and other joint health issues to see if you can get to the source of the problem and look at some remedies. :2cents:

siestam
July 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I purchased something called "Conquer k9 early years JOINT CARE".
He is only limping when he wakes up from a nap or in the AM. I think it was a severe sprain that I never let completely heal, b/c I have had the same injury and same symptoms.
I just need to keep him off of it for another week, as my taking the other puppy for long walks w/o him has given him a severe complex.
Thanks for the help!