Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seeking advice with picking a breed of dog...

anonymous3117
July 23rd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hey everybody! I am hoping to adopt a dog but not sure what kind to get. I already have a 6 year old cat who is kinda a diva. And she doesn't really like other cats, but not sure about dogs. So I was thinking about a dog that isn't generally a hunting dog. Any suggestions?

rainbow
July 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
I would go to your local SPCA/Humane Society/shelter and adopt one from there. The staff at those places will know which ones are good with cats.

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Excellent advice Rainbow ! You can also try dog rescues in your area. Bear in mind that it may not matter whether a dog is a hunting breed ~ what you don't want is a dog with a high prey drive who can't distinguish a cat from "fair game". By adopting an older dog, the staff and volunteers caring for them will know whether your dog can tell a cat from a rat. :D

Frenchy
July 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
If you go on rescues websites and fill out an application , you will find very good questions that would help you find the right dog for your lifestyle.

Questions like : how much time will you be exercising the dog

How much time do you want to spend grooming the dog

Where do you live , city ? Suburbs , etc.....

anonymous3117
July 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys! :pawprint:
I'll look into it.

gtexan
July 23rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Animal planet has a good questionare that will lead you to about 50 appropriate bbreeds, ranked in order.

About 90% seem to be pretty rare, but its at least a strting point!

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselector.do