Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange Question...

dtbmnec
July 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Umm does anyone else's cats try to climb the walls? Literally?

Pawz seems to have this obsession with attempting to climb walls. He's done it in between the Kitchen and Living Room (which could be him trying to get at the treats) but then he's also done it between the Kitchen (near where we eat) and the front hallway. He used to do it in the old place too. He'd climb up on top of the cat scratch post thing and attempt to get at the roof.

There's never any food left out. The treats are in a cat proof (I hope) container (here's hoping they don't obtain opposable thumbs anytime soon) and they can't smell them. All our plates are rinsed off (if not cleaned) and they can't get into the cupboards (thankfully) to get into anything.

He does it rather randomly and not very often but we're worrying that his little claws are going to be scratching the paint off the walls. He's always looking up as if he can see something but there really isn't anything there. So I'm lost and asking you professional cat behavior peoples :p

Megan

P.S. I'm not really really worried about it just confused/curious.

rainbow
July 23rd, 2007, 05:36 PM
My siamese x used to do that when he was younger. It was either that or the zoomies but he finally outgrew both things. :shrug:

Kristin7
July 23rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
I haven't had any try and climb the walls for no apparent reason. However, if they see bugs flying around or even a spot on the ceiling (that they think is a bug), they do try and climb. If you look up on your ceiling, can you see anything? I've had cats bounce off walls while playing with each other, that is always fun to watch. :crazy:

jiorji
July 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
yep they do

krdahmer
July 23rd, 2007, 07:29 PM
oh ya all the time, mine do it a lot when they think they see a shadow or a piece of fur stuck to the wall. they look like they think they can attack a nail hole at thats almost at the ceiling. with clipped claws though they don't get far.;)

ancientgirl
July 23rd, 2007, 08:00 PM
My walls have some little plaster marks on them which stick out. Sometimes I see my two try to get at them, but that's pretty much it. So far they don't actually try to climb.

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Do you have a prism or a piece of crystal (anything reflect that moves) which might be shooting off little dancing sparkles ? One day I heard Bridie barking in the kitchen and found her giving her "I'm not sure about this..." growl, backing up then walking forward and barking at the wall and ceiling.... I had served their water in a cut crystal serving dish that day and the sunlight was prisming off the water and through the glass. :laughing:

The only other thought I have is...do you have bugs? :eek:

Jim Hall
July 23rd, 2007, 08:32 PM
Just one more proof that cats were put on earth to drive thier keepers buggy

dtbmnec
July 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
:laughing: :laughing:

I can't think that there's any bugs up there or anything....though I can't remember the last time we destroyed the cobwebs in this house so maybe its the web that he's seeing?

I sort of have to cut the claws myself and I really only take off a small amount because I don't want to have to go into the vet if I mess up. Chances are I'm not taking off enough (like just the tip pretty much) and that isn't helping our poor poor walls. :laughing:

As long as I know its not just Pawz :D

Megan