Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potential puppy cat intro problem - not what your thinking

geoffh4
July 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
So new puppy came to meet the 2 cats. Whats the problem? The puppy completely ignored the cats! Its like she didn't even see them.

The cats were curious, but not at all scared (this is even stranger, because they are scared of everything!)

When introducing the newest cat (now 1 year old) to the older cat (now 2 years old) it was an arduous process taking at least 2-3 weeks to perfect. The older cat was TERRIFIED of the younger cat, and wouldn't even let us touch him for a week.

I don't know whats going on with this dog-cat introduction. Im worried they will get complacent and she will go for them or something. Is this unusual? Do they detect something non-dangerous from her? Why aren't they at least smelling each other??

In the puppies foster home, the cat of the house let her know he was the alpha, and she respected him. Im worried my cats will never have to assert themselves, and then she will surprise them one day. Is this totally illogical?

Ford Girl
July 23rd, 2007, 04:53 PM
They will work it out themselves, honestly, and in the cats mind - the cats will be the boss regardless of size. Mine fight like brother and sister, they growl and hiss at each other, they swat each other! Yes - Pubert tought Dazy how to swat!! They tattle on each other! The dog flips the cat over just for fun - from behind when he walks downt he hall way, the cat eats his kibble in front of her and drops one tiny bit on the floor to tease the dog...the only time they get along is if I am handing out treats!! Pubert will lay in front of her kennel or pen or the door, so she has to cry to get in or out, he will only move if I shoo him, she can even bark in his face and he lays there giving out dirty looks. And sometimes the dog will go up to him and lick him so he's soaked!! He growls at her, she does it even longer!

They have never hurt each other but they sure like to bother one another. it's cute!! When we brought Dazy home she was the size of the cat, she is now 60lbs and jumps when her little brother says so! :cat: :dog:

Here's 3 pics of them up to no good! I have posted these before, but they are cute! I posted them in order of how the action went...lmao! 1. bother kitty by gettign in his face!! 2. he gave her a gentle warning - a left hook!! 3. step away from the kitty - I guess he was serious!!

badger
July 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Count your lucky stars!! I can't see this changing, the dog has had his education and knows his place :) Lesson learned. And if things should change, the cats will know what to do.

Kristin7
July 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hilarious pics, Ford Girl! :laughing: I'm sure deep down they really love each other... :D