Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mister Protecting Jeffrey?!

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
im a little shocked. to say the least... Mister and Jeffrey get along wonderfully. Mister is 10mo and Jeffrey is 16mo. this afternoon fed Jeffrey which made the usual mess. well i had to take his shirt off of him to launder which left a delicious naked baby belly. all 10 of my fingers found a will of their own so i jumped off the couch and went to tickle the most perfect baby belly ever but i was confronted by a (thankfully) not growling but quite protective Mister!! i couldnt tell you what exactly he did to impart that he was upset abotu my action towards Jeffrey but it was a posture thing. i guess...

im not sure how to handle this. i backed off... ive always been the boss. i train him, i feed him, i am the alpha of the house(ok so my kids dont know that....), NILIF... im through the door first.... things like that.

how do i feel about it? im happy he is protective of Jeffrey. i know that regardless of what we DO abotu it, we will always have to be aware of that. im not sure how i feel about him challenging me. which he didnt really CHALLENGE me, he just made it clear that he wasnt sure of my actions??

:confused:

-ashley

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
At 10 months Mister is still learning too. That's not to say that whatever it was he did which made you uncomfortable is acceptable but I'm a little worried when you say you "backed off". What did that look like and do you think it was a good idea in retrospect ?

How would Mister have responded if you said something like "No" in a firm voice. "Sit" in an equally firm voice and picked Jeffrey up and said "Mine" and stood there for a minute or so giving him the "firm" stare?

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
At 10 months Mister is still learning too. That's not to say that whatever it was he did which made you uncomfortable is acceptable but I'm a little worried when you say you "backed off". What did that look like and do you think it was a good idea in retrospect ?

How would Mister have responded if you said something like "No" in a firm voice. "Sit" in an equally firm voice and picked Jeffrey up and said "Mine" and stood there for a minute or so giving him the "firm" stare?

backed off... i kinda jumped off the couch at Jeffrey and Mister jumped between us. i was so shocked i just sat down. i didnt say anything... but if i had he would have obeyed completely (or as well as he knows how anyway). i dont know... it was like he said "Ma, im just not so sure about that."

:shrug: i dont know. im not sure it made me uncomfortable but in the sense of i dont know what i could or should have done about it.

-ash

geoffh4
July 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
My parents have two dogs who do the same things.
IF you ever get into an argument with someone ,raise your voice, tickle someone, or cause someone to make loud noises, she goes a little "cukoo"

Shes a standard poodle, and she gets down real low and starts barking like crazy. If you run over to her and tell her its ok, she gets instantly relieved and rolls over (submissive behavior). We tried to expose her to loud laughter for a while, but we've just learned to live with it. Its a little startling at first, but if you trust your dog and have a good relationship with him, just reassure him and you guys shuld be fine :)

geoffh4
July 23rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
backed off... i kinda jumped off the couch at Jeffrey and Mister jumped between us. i was so shocked i just sat down. i didnt say anything... but if i had he would have obeyed completely (or as well as he knows how anyway). i dont know... it was like he said "Ma, im just not so sure about that."

:shrug: i dont know. im not sure it made me uncomfortable but in the sense of i dont know what i could or should have done about it.

-ash

PS: Dont feel bad about jumping back. This was a surprising behavior you'd never experienced so obviously you couldn't logic out the correct response. You reacted, and he re-reacted. No fault at all, and you've certainly not done anything to permantently mess up your "alpha status"

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
in retrospect?? i have no idea. it was a memorable exchange in his eyes but im unsure what he was thinking.

i took him out back and reasserted my place. *coughs* fetch does that. :) im still the boss... no challenging that. Jeffrey is taking a nap right now so i cant say what that situation will be when he wakes up and comes down to play.

i dont think there will be any issues but ive been known to be wrong.

-ash

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
i dont know what i would have or should have done differently. he didnt CHALLENGE me, i didnt exactly back down... if that makes any sense.

LOL i guess ill just sit on it. see what happens from here.

-ashley

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 10:36 PM
so Chris said he did the same thign to him last night. not threatening, not playful... just solid.

he said it was like he said ''i know you're the boss man but can we just not do this?"

*shrugs*

-ash

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
So you think Mister is telling you what you were doing to Jeffrey is making him nervous. That's an okay thing to do, but what I worry about is "what's next ?". For instance what happens if Jeffrey is in the same position on the couch and you have to lunge for him becasue he's about to do something harmful ~ you might even scream or Jeffrey might scream...you see where I'm going with this ? Mister needs to know ~ particularly with the baby ~ that no matter what happens either you are in complete control or you will fix it. Was the situation with Chris also something invovlving Jeffrey ?