Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any help would be great; Tapeworms :(

Athanzia
July 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
We just found out our puppy may have tapeworms; the rectangular segments were noticed in her feces this morning by my boyfriend. The soonest our vet can get us in in an emergency slot is 2 days from now! We live out in a very rural area.... any idea or advice/past experience with a happy ending? The other day she vomited up a dead mouse, but we didn't think anything of it because she we have some barn cats that kill mice around the house. She's been a bit lethargic so we originally thought it was her food as she's been switched from puppy to adult and she doesnt seem to like it as much (we're in the process of getting her new food today). I'm rambling, I apologize... I'm just really worried.

Hunter's_owner
July 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
I don't have any advice, other than to see the vet on the next available appointment. The vet will give you something to clear it up.
Good Luck.

Tapeworms are always a concern when a dog or cat eats a mouse, or other rodent.

clm
July 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
I get enough pills from the vet to worm my big indoor/outdoor cat Max for the whole year....he's forever killing and sometimes eats voles, mice, birds, rabbits, and then he hits on me for 3 or 4 cans of food a day and a bowl full of crunchies too:laughing: I usually have to give him the pills every 3 months, as soon as I notice the segments, he's a black cat so it's pretty noticable.

Cindy

geoffh4
July 23rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
My cat had tapeworms, I took her by the vet, she got a shot, and it was cleared up in less than an hour. Its easy to treat, you don't even need an apoitment most of the time!

Athanzia
July 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
wow, that's so relieving to hear. Thank you so much for the replies. We did a bit of research online and found a good tapeworm medication. we gave her the recommended dose so hopefully that will work. If not, she still has her appointment on wednesday. I just feel so bad for her....poor thing obviously has a belly ache from them... and she doesn't want to eat. We had to coax her quite a bit to eat half her meal today. Poor thing. :(

rainbow
July 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
I would check with your vet about the medication you bought online. If he/she approves then I would keep a supply on hand and worm her regularly since she is a hunter. :)