Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Golden Tail....

Ford Girl
July 23rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone, hope you had a great weekend! Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

We went camping this weekend where there was a huge river to swim in, humans and dogs swam all weekend...we camp in the back woods, so it's off leash the entire time...

You know how goldens like to swim and be in the water...and you know how hairy their tails are...well when Dazy's tail gets wet it's hard for her to hold it up, it seems heavy...after 2 days of swimming and tail wagging and hard playing...it looks as tho her tail is broken!!! I don't think it's actually broken, it just looks that way...it's hanging straight down, she still tries to wag it, but it looks limp...but it isn't botherign her. Has that ever happened to anyone else's pooch? Should I be concerned? I touch it, she doesn't flinch, or cry, and it doesn't seem to be bothering her....so I just assumed it's sore from being heavy and wet and wagging it for 2 days...the river had some current..and I would assume they kinda use the tail as a rutter too? If it was broken, it would hurt her right? Would I be able to tell?

This morning it was a half raised tail, wagging in an odd way... :crazy:

Would you be concerned? I kinda think it's funny...I was going to give it until Tuesday am before I call the vet or worry. What do you think? I was also thinking I should trim the tail hiar to a much shorter length... so she can hold it up when wet.

Otherwise she is her golden self.....but very very tired. :thumbs up

Frenchy
July 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
It's called swimmer's tail , :) really ! Happens a lot to goldens because they love to swim. It should be ok in a couple of days. I don't know if it would help to trim the tail for next swim , but I would try it. Good luck :goodvibes:

Ford Girl
July 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks Frenchy, I was just waiting for a fellow golden owner to say it was a common thing, I worry about her but didn't want to call the vet if it's just a sore muscle. There is a lot of hair there, very bushy...I might try and trim it, altho I love the way it looks...the wiggle bum just doesn't look the same without raised tail!!!

Of course, she isn't complaining!!! :angel:

Frenchy
July 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
You're welcome. I just pm you with some more infos.

BTW , you don't post enough pics of Dazy :frown:

Ford Girl
July 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks, I was also just given this link on the Canadian Golden's site, and it sounds exactly like what's happening!!!

http://www.working-retriever.com/library/cwtail.html

Are you serious? hahah! I take like 100 a week of her...I can post more if you want..I have so many. We didn't get in until almost 10 last night, so I didn't have time to download this weekends pics, but I will tomorrow.

She loves the camera. :crazy:

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
I'd like to see a picture of her tail ~ I've heard of this but have never seen it "live". Funny :fingerscr that neither Ceili nor Bridie who have MAJOR tails have never got the "droop" :fingerscr .

Frenchy
July 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
I've heard of this but have never seen it "live".

Seems it happens to a few men too , maybe you met one ? :eek: :D

:sorry:

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
:sorry: :offtopic:
Oh my DAWG !
Frenchy-fried youz baaad ! :eek: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Seems it happens to a few men too , maybe you met one ? :eek: :D

:sorry:

*SNORT*

-ashley

chico2
July 23rd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Oh Frenchy you're sooo badhttp://bestsmileys.com/lol/19.gif

TMac
July 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
...I can post more if you want..I have so many.:

Yes please!! Can't get enough golden on this board if you ask me! :crazy:

Ford Girl
July 24th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Hi! This morning when we woke up her tail we about 75% better!! It's now sticking straight out, not quite a full 1/2 moon over her back, but straight out, looks hilarious!!! hah! :thumbs up

She had no problem clearing the coffee table off with it. ;)