Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible FIP??? "Simon" - back to the vet.

jowilson002
July 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Hey guys...

Despite the fact that Simon got to come home Thursday evening he started going down hill again slowly this week end. He continued to eat a little and drink (he has been visiting the litter box regularly).

He is back at the vet with an even higher temp of 107.1. He was running a temp this weekend of about 104.5. But early this morning it was very high.

He has been on oral Clavamox.

Any ideas... I am very concerned about him.

Thanks again. Jennifer W.

crazydays
July 23rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Good Morning Jennifer.
Sorry to hear about Simon and the spike in temperature.:sick: I must have missed another post from you about the problems you were having. I am not a Vet, but a RN. Anytime you receive a antibiotic and spike higher while still on the same can mean a number of things. This drug isn't completely solving the problem. Your cat is on Clavamox which is a combination of Amoxicillan and Clavulanate. I think the fact the cat has spiked a high fever could mean he needs a different combination of antibiotics. With us, if one A/B doesn't work then the strain of bacteria is resistent to it-same with animals. Maybe Simon needs a drug change. Simon ?? may need some IV A/B therapy- this way it gets in faster and you don't have to worry about the absorption of the drug. I don't know what is wrong with Simon and I am assuming the Vet thinks its bacterial.

I am not sure any of this helps you. All my best for Simon. Please let us know how he is doing ok!!:pray:

jowilson002
July 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hey there RN...Thanks for responding to my post. Last week was the first time that I have posted on this site. I teach ICD-9-CM and CPT coding...Small world..

About Simon - he is a 10 month old male kitten. I am also a multi-cat household. I take in abused, neglected or abandoned cats and kittens. I currenlty have 9 ranging in age from 8 weeks - 14 years. The others are not ill (yet). Simon has 3 sibs from the same litter who are not ill.

Simon has been ill for a couple of weeks now. Initially the vet thought that he may have FIP and I guess that is still possible. Last week his lab work showed a WBC = 37,000, Platelets were a little low at 244, and a tissue sample showed no tissue damage. He does have a URI but no fluid buildup anywhere. I was told that the other lab tests were either normal are non significant. I hope and pray that he does not have FIP. He is the sweetest cat that I have ever encountered. When other cats dislike new cats. He likes everyone from the beginning.

He spent 4 days and 3 nights at the vet last week. He was given Penicillin/Azium/Vit B12 Injection, and Amikin Injection(s). He was also given a Metacam injection Monday which gave him a boost along with the B12 and he felt better for about 12 hours then started declining again. He was also given Fluid Therapy Sub Q. I am not sure what the other antibiotics were; the vet said that she was treating him with 4different ones and I left the copy of the bill at home this morning.

Simon will still drink water and eat a little but we have to take him to the food and water. He will only get up to go to the litter box. He does not appear dehydrated. But he does not walk around at all except to go to the litter box.

Any more ideas???

crazydays
July 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
WoW your little one has really had a tough time. Sorry to hear that things are pretty scary at the moment. Good for you for keeping up on the medical hx and following a plan. I think that you have done everything you can- it sounds like a waiting game at this point. Did the Vet tell you what factors would be present for a diagnosis of feline infection peritonitis to be made?? I am definitely not skilled enough to give you any help on this. All I can do is give you my support. Please keep us informed if you like. I would really like to hear about Simon and know how you are doing.

jowilson002
July 23rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Hello again,

Just heard from the vet. Simon's WBC's are 40,000. They are taking xrays to look for tumors.

Do you know anything about very high WBC counts?

Thanks, Jennifer
Louisiana, USA

crazydays
July 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hi Jennifer- I am not a Dr/Vet so my response to you is limited.
When the blood count is very high it could indicate a major immune response to overwhelming infection or sepsis. It also might indicate feline leukemia or other benign or cancerous tumors. The wbc count is a major factor in determining how the body is fighting a stressor.You mentioned your Vet is checking for tumors. Jennifer it could mean so many things. The one thing that I can tell you from what I know is that your cat has high fever despite a artilery of antibiotics and treatment. The immune system sounds like it is having a hard time handling it. Your Vet sounds very thorough.

If you want check out Petplace.com-felign leukemia

You are really in my thoughts. Take care ok.

jowilson002
July 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Hello again,

Simon's xrays do not show any tumors. He does have fluid in his abdomin and some air pockets. I'm not sure what the air pockets mean. The vet is going to do an abdominocentesis and send the fluid to an outside lab for analysis. They are going to put him on IV antibiotics tonight and maybe he will be better tomorrow. His WBC count is now 45,000. They are putting FIP as a possible diagnosis at the top of their list but they are still looking for other things such as blood parasites. He is also becoming anemic and his platelets have dropped down to about 150. The platelets were 244 just last week.

Again, thanks for responding.

Simon's Mom...

rainbow
July 23rd, 2007, 06:15 PM
I have absolutely no advice but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear what you and Simon are going through. :grouphug: Good luck with a diagnosis and hope it is nothing serious. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

crazydays
July 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
Ok- good news re tumors/leukemia. You are giving Simon an incredible amount of support. He is in the right place and lets hope the IV antibiotics allow him to mount a fight against whatever it is that is causing this problem. The amniocentesis will provide fluid which when studied may give a clue to the type of infection or parasite or disease process. This is definitely impacting his blood system-wbc,rbc,platelets. This will be a long night for you. Big hug through cyberspace!! You are a very caring cat owner. I think it is wonderful how you find a home for strays and take in the underdogs!!!:angel: :pray: :fingerscr

jowilson002
July 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Bad news... Simon has had a couple of positive FIP test results in addition to 70 cc of fluid draw from his abdomen.

He is now being treated with Prednisone in addition to the antibiotics and is feeling better for the moment. His temp is down more and he is able to eat more. He is still at the vet hospital though.

He does not yet have any neurological signs so we are going to continue to treat him as long as he feels ok or is improving but it does not look good for him.

His brother/litter mate at home sits by a window or the door looking for him and seems to know that something is wrong.

Again, Thanks for all of your responses.

badger
July 25th, 2007, 10:36 AM
That is so sad, here's hoping little Simon can beat the odds. Thanks for your devotion; even if he passes, he won't be alone under a bush somewhere but surrounded by love, and you'll know you did everything you could.
:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

crazydays
July 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I have been wondering how you are making out. Even though it is not good-at least they found the problem. You need to try to shift your worry and try to get some rest. Prednisone is an incredibly amazing drug. It has so many effects that can help to rally a person/animal. My best friend died of colorectal cancer not that long ago. When he was put on Prednisone he got his appetite back, had new energy and his outlook on his situation changed. I really hope for your sake that Simon gets some relief from some of the symptoms he has been battling.

I will keep you in my thoughts and hope only the best for you and Simon!!:candle:

jowilson002
July 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Do you have any idea what an appropriate prednosolone dosage would be for a cat with fip?

My cat is taking 15 mg bid and this sounds like a lot for a 7 lb cat.

Any information that anyone has on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks So Much... Simon's Mom...

jowilson002
July 26th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Hello again,

Simons platelets were down to 78 yesterday but his temp was in the normal range.

His bilirubin is also a little elevated but not to a critical level. He already has a huge amount of fluid build up in his abdomen and so this will be tapped again today. He also will no longer eat. The vet is giving him prednisolone 15mg twice a day, Clavamox 2x a day, human interferon 1 time a day, and some vitamins. He was expecting some other drug that he has ordered to come in today.

Please pray for Simon if you are the type that prays...

crazydays
July 26th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Hi-Simons Mom

The prednisone dose is probably a loading dose, to try to turn around some of the effects this disease is causing: to improve his quality of life. The dosage depends on the type of disease and symptoms they are dealing with. The weight is also a factor in determining dose. I checked out some sites and the average dosing was 2-4mg/kg/day until optimal dose was found. You will have to talk to your Vet regarding the dosing and the strategy he/she is taking with it. I am really hoping that Simon starts to feel better.

You are in my thoughts,
Kathy

krdahmer
July 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I am and I will. :pray: :grouphug:

jowilson002
July 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Kathy,

Thanks so much again...I must sound like a crazy person but I love this cat.

I have found out that this is an acceptable dose of Prednosolne to begin with. My vet is great and I know that he is very competent. I just seem to be questioning everything and looking for more answers in a desperate attempt to save Simon - although I do not want him to suffer needlessly.

The vet is adding some new drugs today that he has ordered and is also withdrawing the fluid from his abdomen again. He has not suggested putting him to sleep yet.

Simon come home last night to visit and to see his brother/litter mate but he had to go right back this morning. Until Simon got sick he and had to start making his many trips to the vet he and Gabriel were contantly together.

Again thanks so much...:fingerscr

jowilson002
July 26th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Crazy Cat Lady...

Thanks for praying for my Simon...Nice to meet you.

"Simon's Mom"
:pray: Jennifer

jowilson002
July 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Hey Guys,

I just got off of the phone with my 20 year old son who just spoke to the vet.

The vet is thinking that Simon may possibly have liver disease instead of FIP since the symptoms are so similar. He is sending off more abdominal fluid today for analysis.

Between the two possible diagnoses we would prefer liver disease because it is more likely to respond to treatment.

He also said that if it was liver disease he could possibly live for 7-8 more years so I am praying for liver disease instead of FIP...

Thanks...

jowilson002
July 27th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Bad news this morning. Simon has fluid around his lungs and seems to be getting worse. It must be FIP and Liver Disease. :sick: :pray:

crazydays
July 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I am glad you got to bring Simon home for a visit. You really are on a rollercoaster of emotions. You have alot on your plate this am. I am thinking and wondering about how you are coping today. I wish the best for little Simon:pray:

Jim Hall
July 27th, 2007, 09:49 AM
:pray: for simon

bendyfoot
July 27th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Oh gosh, what a terrible time for all of you. Big hugs and healing thoughts being sent your way.:sorry:

jowilson002
July 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Hey Kathy, Jim, and Crystal,

Thanks so much for thinking of us. You are definitely right about the roller coster of emotions. Just when things look up they begin to go the other way.

The vet has put Simon on Lasix injections in addition to the other 5 medications. The fluid around Simons lungs is apparently a gel like substance and cannot be drained so the vet is hoping that his body will reabsorb it with the Lasix injections.

Simon won't get to come home tonight and possibly not the weekend either but I go and visit him every day except Sunday when the office is closed to visitors.

Thanks again from Simon...and Simon's Mom...:candle: :sick: :pray: :fingerscr

krdahmer
July 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM
:pray: :grouphug:

jowilson002
July 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Hello everyone...Its been a long weekend but Simon is still with us.

The vet has tube fed Simon for 2 days and when I woke up this morning he was cleaning himself which he hasn't felt like doing for a while.

I am trying not to get my hopes up but he has not needed another abdominocentesis since Wednesday of last week and the fluid around his lungs is going away. The vet said that his breathing is much better.

Also, there was a lab result that came back..not sure which lab test but something was supposed to be above 7000 to be FIP and Simons was only 4000...They are running more tests today.

Also, Simon ate a treat this morning.

Please keep your fingers crossed and keep praying...:fingerscr :pray: :candle:

crazydays
July 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
You have certainly been in my thoughts. Wow- Simon is one tough dude. Things do sound more positive and it sounds like he is still battling some of the demons and winning. While he isn't out of the woods, he is much more able to handle all this!!!!

Good for you. Keep us informed ok!

krdahmer
July 30th, 2007, 04:00 PM
:goodvibes: :grouphug: What a trooper!

chico2
July 30th, 2007, 04:25 PM
JoWilson,Simon just has to make it,with a wonderful caring owner like you:pray:
I understand the love you feel for Simon and he seems like a really tough kitty,I hope you will both be rewarded with a wnderful outcome for Simon:fingerscr

jowilson002
July 31st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Hello everyone,:grouphug:

Simon came back home yesterday evening but wasn't feeling well. He had been doing better and I was concerned so I called the vet at home and left a message for him; he called back about 30 minutes later.

He (Dr. Lefebvre Jr.) met me at the office, examined Simon, took x-rays, gave him some fluids sub q, an injection of Lasix and then took Simon home with him for the night. He is really fond of Simon too... Have you ever heard of a kinder vet? He said that Simon was just a really good cat; I assume he means that he is well behaved.

Anyway it turned out that he had a lot of fluid in his abdomin which the Lasix helped and he also had a little flatulence which apparently resolved itself.

He reportedly feels better this morning and ate just a bite of food.

We are concerned about Simon's platelet count because it has dropped to 10 thousand. The vet said that his platelets may be clumping and so the machine may be reading a clump of platelets as just one platelet. He is going to send a sample for a manual count to see if this is the case.:fingerscr
There are no bruises evident nor is there any evidence of petechial hemorrhage.:sick:

Simon's bilirubin is not very good either; if he were human he would be yellow.:frown:

Simons WBC count is finally dropping it is now 35,000 but just last week it was 85,000.

I appreciate all of your words of encouragement for myself and for Simon.
The vet and I will do all that we can for Simon.

Till next time,

Jennifer W.
"Simon's Mom":pray:

chico2
July 31st, 2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know what to say,obviously Simon is a fighter,you still do not have a proper diagnosis,right???
Your vet taking Simon home,was a wonderful gesture,it is soo important to have a vet who understands your feelings.
Hopefully he is also very knowledgable:fingerscr
:grouphug: to you and Simon:pray:

jowilson002
August 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Hello again,

The vet feels pretty sure that Simon :pawprint: does have FIP but he is not ruling out other possiblities yet. The vet is young but he is in practice with his father who has been in practice over 30 years. I am confident in both of their abilities. The vet also seems to love Simon. One of the vet techs told me that he held Simon during a staff meeting yesterday. I know that he is trying anything that he feels may help.

The vet is also considering a chemotherapy drug; cylophosphamide.

Simons bilirubin is up and his skin is yellow. :shrug: He is so weak that he can hardly stand but he nudges me with his head to be petted. I go and visit him everyday when I leave work. I sit and pet and groom him. He loves to be brushed with a flea comb although he does not have fleas.

If Simon's clotting time is at an acceptable level, the vet is going to place a tube in Simon's neck so that we can feed him more easily. This should reduce some of the stress on him.

I hope that he gets to come home soon for a visit.:candle:

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers.:pray:

Jennifer W.

jawert1
August 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM
Bless you for giving this little guy all the care he could possibly need. I was glad to read through the thread and see he's improved. You've done a great thing, and I will be keeping you guys in my thoughts. :pawprint:

BTW, your kitty's name caught my attention, I too have a Simon, albeit a dog, and my first name is Jennifer, last name starts with a W as well.

jowilson002
August 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
Hello,

Simon's :cat: platelets were adequate yesterday for the feeding tube to be placed in his neck. He can now be fed and medicated without discomfort. Hopefully he will get stronger.

Simon seems to get more yellow everyday and I am very worried about this. :sick:

Simon is down to 7 pounds but he was about 14 pounds so he is very malnourished and extremely weak despite the previous tube feedings twice a day. Hopefully with the feeding tube he can be fed more often so that he can get stronger.

Since I don't have a scanner to add a photo of Simon I will tell you about him. :cat:

First of all Simon was found drowning in a puddle during a rain storm by my son last October with his 6 other litter mates. They were about 5-7 days old. Despite vet care only 4 survived past a few weeks. We named the four remaining kittens Gabriel, Simon, Bagherra, and Mary. All four of the cats are solid black with bright gold eyes. Two have very long hair (Simon and Gabriel) and two have very short hair (Bagherra and Mary). :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

Simon of course is at the vet medical center but the other three are at home with a few other adoptees. They have the run of the house and are quite happy although they miss their brother.

Please keep Simon in your thoughts and prayers for me...:pray:

Hello to peachesnsimons mom another JW. Nice to meet you.

Thank you...Jennifer W.

sugarcatmom
August 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Hello,

Simon's :cat: platelets were adequate yesterday for the feeding tube to be placed in his neck. He can now be fed and medicated without discomfort. Hopefully he will get stronger.

Simon seems to get more yellow everyday and I am very worried about this. :sick:

Glad to hear that the vet was able to put an E-tube in place, that should definitely make things easier. I'm a big fan of feeding tubes when circumstances warrant it (I've had to go the PEG-tube route on three occasions with my cats over the years - they can be a lifesaver!). I realize Simon is probably on a lot of different meds at the moment, but are any of them for liver support? Denosyl (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/animal/liver/liver.asp) (aka SAMe (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_same.html)) is often used in the treatment of liver disease, as is Milk Thistle (silymarin) (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Brochures/Marin%20Brochure.pdf).

Here's hoping that things start improving quicker now and Simon can come home. Good luck!

jowilson002
August 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Hi,

Simon :cat: is not on either of the liver support meds that you mentioned. I am going to ask the vet about them and also do a little research on my own. Thanks for the info.:) I have never had a cat this ill :sick: with the exception of very young kittens. Simon is 10 months. I really appreciate all of the information more than you know...

I just got off of the phone with the vet and he said that Simon's liver is functioning and that the jaundice should begin to reverse itself now that he will be getting adequate nutrition and fluids. :confused: The vet put an IV in Simon last night in addition to the feeding tube. He is still very weak though.

The meds that Simon :pawprint: is on to my knowledge are: Prenisilone 15 mg 2x/day, human interferon, amino b plex, clavamox, pentoxiphylline, and antibiotic drops for his eyes.

Thanks again...Jennifer W.:pray: :cat: :pray:

jowilson002
August 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Question???

Simon also has ulcers on both of his eyes and a sore on his skin on his left side which the vet said is a skin necrosis. He said that it would get bigger and then eventually heal. There does not seem to be any infection.

Simon also has ulcers in his mouth.

Is anyone familiar with this? If you are new to reading about Simon; he also may have FIP.

Any information would be appreciated:shrug:

chico2
August 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
jowilson,everyone here knows I love my cats and would do just about anything for them,to keep them with me.
But I don't know if I would let any of my cats suffer through what Simon has to live through,it just sounds like a terrible ordeal for this little guy.:cry:
What is the vet saying? What are his chances?
The jaundice is probably from liverproblems,I had a cat once he was diabetic, on insulin,unfortunately also got cancer,he was a white cat and the yellowing was very noticable,he eventually could take no more and was put to sleep,unlike Simon,he was 17yrs old.
I am not critizising you for doing what you feel you have to for Simon,I just hope you know when this little kitty has had enough,of course I hope he will do well and will survive,we all do...:pray:

jowilson002
August 6th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Hello,

We let Simon go on Saturday Morning. He was just too ill to make it.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers.

:cat: Simon::angel:
:rip:

crazydays
August 6th, 2007, 09:14 AM
joWilson-
What an incredible fight you have been through. You must be exhausted! Simon was very courageous. The little one is at peace; and you must feel a sense of peace knowing he was given every last chance to live. I would try to look on it as "it was his time" to go.
Take the time to grieve -very important for getting the balance back in your life. Grieving people repair themselves so they can meet the next challenges in life.

All my best-Kathy

chico2
August 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Jo,as heartbreaking as it is for us all to loose a much loved friend,you did the right thing for Simon.
He is at peace now, sending you thank you's and kisses from the bridge.
:rip: little boy:candle:

sugarcatmom
August 6th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Oh Jennifer, I'm so so sorry about Simon. You gave him the ultimate, most loving gift. Please accept my condolences, and take care of yourself. Do come back and post when you're able, Simon has no doubt taught you a lot and it would be a great legacy to be able to share that with others. :candle:

krdahmer
August 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM
:cry: :grouphug:

jowilson002
August 7th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words...But, I still feel like I killed my kitten...:cry: :cat: :angel: :rip:

badger
August 7th, 2007, 02:19 PM
You gave him every chance; his reserves just ran out, as with every living body. It must be terribly disappointing to have fought so hard and then to lose him. I don't know what the vet said but it sounds like some kind of systemic condition, maybe one of the viruses, which are so difficult to get on top of.
Bless his little heart and bless you for seeing it to the end.

chico2
August 7th, 2007, 03:44 PM
JoWilson,we all feel that way,guilt and remorse,even though we know it was the best for the kitty....I have 4 cats buried in my backyard,I still talk to them at times,say I'm sorry and cry a little.
Simon without a doubt had the best owner,who did not spare anything to try to save him,but it was just not to be:sad:
Give yourself time to grieve,cry until you can cry no more,but always remember he knew you loved him,his little body just could not take it anymore.
Take care and come back and talk to us :cat:

jowilson002
August 10th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hello again,

Thanks for all of your words of encouragement.

After loosing :angel: Simon over the weekend, I told my son to take Simon's brother :cat: Gabriel to the vet to make sure that he was ok. He was running a fever. I was shocked. He has been acting and eating normally. The vet has kept him for the day so that he can run some tests.:shrug:

I sent my son home to get the other two cats from the same litter and take them to the vet also. I haven't heard yet how that is going. The other two are Bagherra and Mary.

:pray: Please wish us luck. I swear that these are not neglected cats. One of my coworkers said that she would like to be a pet at my house because I spoil my cats so much. I just don't know what is happening to my 10 month old kittens.

We do have two 3 1/2 month old kittens who check out ok at the vet (they were taken in on Monday). We also have a 13-14 year old and a 3-4 year old who are also well.

Thanks again,

Jennifer W.
:pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

crazydays
August 10th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Jennifer- Good on you for following up on the other kittens! No thought ever crossed my mind that you were neglectful of your cats-on the contrary you are completely devoted to their well being. Hope you are recovering as best as you can from Simons death. I have all my fingers and toes crossed re the others!

krdahmer
August 10th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Aw... you have a houseful!:lovestruck:

:pray: That all the rest are healthy and that Gabriel recovers quickly.

jowilson002
August 10th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Yes, I do have a house full. I never planned on having my own personal cat:cat: shelter but I can't stand to see neglected or abused animals. I have neighbors who bring cats home and then don't feed them or spay or neuter them so I do the best that I can. The police don't seem to care even when I call them.

I currently have 8 felines that I consider my cats. All have been spayed or neutered except 2 that are a little too young. They will be spayed though as soon as they are old enough.

I also feed 8 strays/neighbors cats. :cat:

We have taken the cats to the vet but one. I will take her in the morning (she was wild and will not let anyone else pick her up).

So far Gabriel and Bagherra are ILL:wall: . Five others are healthy and we will check on the other one in the morning. Mary the female of the litter is very healthy according to the vet.

:sick: Gabriel and :sick: Bagherra's WBC count is high just like Simon's was.

Please pray:pray: and keep your fingers crossed...:pawprint:

Thanks again,

Jennifer W.:shrug:

chico2
August 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
OMG Jennifer,why do these things happen:sad: we will:pray: for Gabriel and Bagherra.
As with the others,it never entered my mind that you would be a neglectful owner,you so obviously love yours and others cats.
Please,please let the 2 kittys be ok:pray:

growler~GateKeeper
August 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I'm sorry for your loss of Simon :angel: & the sickness of the other kitties :cry:

I'm also sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Any cat that has or is suspected to have Feline Infectious Peritonitis needs to be isolated from all other cats, unless they also have FIP. It is very contagious - transmitted through any bodily fluids most common sneezing, saliva, cat fights & can also be transmitted by inanimate objects such as bedding, blankets, shoes etc.

I am not a Vet but here are some clinical signs of FIP:

-affects many organs
-fever
-lethargy
-pain on palpitation of the abdomen
-yellowing of the gums, eyes, skin & conjunctivitia (eyes)
-weight loss
-dehydration
-anemia
-depression
-breathing difficulties
-fluid in the lungs
-abdomen looks bloated

Often FIP & Coronavirus Enteritis (mild intestinal diesase) can be mistaken for each other through blood test only, however because you have had Simon back into the house w/the other cats PLEASE have all other cats in your care tested for FIP, most Vets will have the " FIP Titer snap test" so results are generally known quickly.

I read through the whole thread & it sounds like you have a good vet but I can't believe they allowed Simon to come home w/out explicit instructions to keep him isolated from all other cats & with strict hand washing/cleaning instructions :sad:

This site has great information regarding FIP
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=681

:pray: for good results :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug: :pray:

rainbow
August 11th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about Simon. :grouphug: :candle: Sending lots of good wishes for Gabriel and Bagherra. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

jowilson002
August 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Hello again,

My son and I took all of our cats to the vet. Simon's other litter mates; Gabriel, Bagherra, and Mary all had a fever despite showing no other signs of illness.

Gabriel and Bagherra's WBC were elevated at 35,000. Mary's lab work was normal.

Our vet is sending blood to an outside lab to see if what the FIP Titer shows.

It's weird that only the litter mates show signs of illness and not the others.

We are waiting to hear back from the vet but in the mean time I am keeping a close eye on the others.

Thanks so much,

Jennifer Wilson

chico2
August 14th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Jo,we are all hoping to hear some good news soon,please keep us updated:pray:

cpietra16
August 14th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I just came across your thread....You are an angel and a saviour to these poor souls. I wish you all the luck with the litter mates and your own cats. I hope they make it through this...:fingerscr

jowilson002
August 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Hey Guys,

Bagheera and Gabriel had FIP titers of 1:166; and 1:360. Mary's titer has not come back yet. Does anyone really understand these titer scores? :confused: I do not.

Last week Mary's WBC's were within normal range.

Gabriel and Bagheera's were around 35,000 each.

Other than high WBC's all of the other lab results for all three cats was normal. The vet said "textbook" except for the WBC count.

We have had all three cats on Clavamox for a week; Gabriel and Bagheera have also been on Prenisolone, Amino B-Plex, and Denamarin for liver support since that was an issue with Simon. Thanks for recommending the denasyl and the marin. The vet was happy to add this as a part of the treatment protocol.

New lab work this week on all three cats shows that their WBC's have all dropped at least 1,500 points even Mary's which was high normal last week.

All three cats are behaving normally; have normal activity levels and are eating very well. Gabriel has actually gained weight since last week and he was a little plump to begin with. I will worry about his weight more when he is well. Simon stopped eating and so the vet said it was ok to leave food out at all times for these kittens (10 months old).

Mary has a slight temp at 103F. The boys have normal temps.

I am trying not to get too excited but they seem ok physically and their lab results have improved. :thumbs up

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, etc? And, does anyone understand the FIP Titer's?:shrug:

Thanks again,

Jennifer W.

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I've never had to have the FIP Titer test done so I can't give a def answer but to my understanding the 1:166 & 1:360 means your cat has 1 part antibody in 166 parts blood & 1 part antibody in 360 parts blood the higher the last number means there is less antibodies present which is what we want - that means the virus is not present or not as virulent.

According to VeterinaryPartner.com:
1. Lymphopenia (<1.5 x 106/Fl)
2. Feline coronavirus antibody titer of $1:160
3. Hyperglobulinemia of > 5.1 g/dl

if a cat is showing signs & ALL test results show as above, the cat had a positive predictive value of 88.9% for FIP. Other vets on the site dispute the validity of the predictive value

I'm unsure about the WBC results your vet gave you because the results I get here the units & reference range look like this for a normal reading:

White Cell count units: amount x10.9/L (10.9 WBC per Litre of blood) & normal reference range: 4.0-16.0 meaning 4-16 wbc per litre of blood

so it's hard to convert the 35,000 without knowing how much was taken & what the range your vet works with

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=230

Hopefully one of the Dr.s here will jump in to give you a medical explanation - you could always PM them (to be sure they see this) & ask that they give you some advice

:thumbs up on good test results so far :fingerscr for Mary's results

Thank you so much for having all the cats tested :grouphug:

jowilson002
August 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Hello,

As you know I recently lost a cat to FIP. Now Simon's litter mates are ill.

They were taken to the vet for a checkup and had a low grade fever and WBC count in 35,000 range.

The 10month old kittens were placed on Clavamox and Prenisolone. It has been a week now and they are not running any fever and their lab results show a drop in their WBC count of at least 1,500 pts per cat.

The vet had them on 10 mg prednisolone bid and now he is reducing gradually until we get to 5 mg once a day. I am afraid to reduce the prednisolone but willl do as vet says.

The FIP titers were around 1:160 and 1:300.

When my other cat was ill his lab work was worse every week. The only abnormal lab work for these kittens is of course the FIP titer and the WBC count; everything else seems to be normal.

Any ideas?

Thank You...Jennifer W.

chico2
August 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Jennifer,I wish I had some ideas,but I've never experienced this with any of my cats,I just hope your little guys will be ok:pray:

jowilson002
August 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks again,

I always enjoy hearing from you...

Jennifer W.

I am going today to get some vitamin supplements that my vet said would be ok.. Vitamin C and E.