Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Your Advice Regarding Dog with Hip dysplasia

Ginger2007
July 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Hi,

I have a 7 year old golden retriever who was born with Hip dysplasia, has arthritis in her back legs, and also suffers from epilepsy. Currently she is in very bad shape and can hardly get up. I hate to see my dog in this pain and am not sure what my options are at this point (I am not working so I can not afford a hip replacement operation). I would really hate to have to put my dog down but I don't know what other choice I have and it is not fair for her to be in this severe pain. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I live in the Greater Toronto Area. Many thanks!

Hunter's_owner
July 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM
Have you spoken to your vet about your options???

Maybe look into supplements, like Glucosamine and Chondroitin:shrug:

So sorry to hear:sad: Good Luck:goodvibes:

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
You might want to have a look at this thread

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=455305&posted=1#post455305

and this http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32964

I have a dog who is dysplastic in both hips and there are MANY options to giving your dawg a high quality of life pre-surgery BUT you should ensure that your dog has not already dislocated a hip with a physical exam by your Vet and an xray if required.

erykah1310
July 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
I Have a displasic boy, and for him, he is on meds as well as glucosamine,condrotin and msm pills daily. Added to that, milk thistle for his liver due to the meds the vet has him on.

Keep them moving, is key here ( Im not familiar with arthritis in the back though) for Puppy swimming is the best form of excercise for him.
He has a memory foam cover on an old trailer bench cushion, we keep him away from stairs and try to keep him from "running" as his weight is also a concern.

There are alot of options for displasia but it gets tricky when there is arthritis or other problems accompanying it.
Sorry to hear of what you are going through.:grouphug:

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
I know you mentioned you aren't working but there are a couple of therapy pools in Toronto. Swimming in a heated pool or using an underwater treadmill would be terrific for both the arthritis and the dysplasia (and no worries about the water being at a temp. so high as to trigger a seizure).

ChancesMom
July 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM
For the arthritis, I would recommend Yucca Intensive -

http://www.1800petmeds.com/pdetail.asp?SK=10850

We give this to Chance for his Intervertebral disc disease. It is an anti-inflammatory so it must be taken with food or it will upset the tummy. We give it to him in a dog biscuit - 1/2 dose in the morning and 1/2 dose at night. If he is having a hard time we give him another 1/2 dose mid day, but this hardly happens at all.

The bottle is only $15 and it lasts a long time.

I also do recommend Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

Good luck!

Dr Lee
July 24th, 2007, 09:53 PM
If the supplements are not gaining the level of pain control that you need; then in addition to the nutriceudicals you may want to ask your veterinarian regarding pain medications. Common medications are in the category of NSAIDs such as Previcox, Metacam, and Rimadyl. All are once a day a require blood testing and follow up blood testing for patient safety. One of my pets has been on an NSAID daily for several years in addition to all natural supplements. She also swims almost daily. Doing well for an arthritic 12 year old rottweiler.

If the supplements and NSAID medication is still not solving the pain all the time, then tramadol is a wonderfully safe and inexpensive pain mediation which they can do well on. Reason why it is not a first line pain medication - unlike the natural supplement and anti-inflammatories, tramadol does not help the joints in any way - just an opioid pain reliver. (One of my clients is an ER doctor and has his mother on this medication for her head aches. She says it works well). Due it being an opioid, it can be addictive.

I think multi-modality pain relief is the best. Using different medications/remedies with different mechanisms of action allows for better pain control, better reduction of inflammation, which in turn leads to slowing of the disease.

Some other options are accupunture, physical therapy, magnetic therapy and non-invasive K lasers. All can help improve circulation, relieve pain and improve quality of life.

Good luck. :pawprint:

bendyfoot
July 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Have you considered getting your pup a cart? It's like a wheelchair for dogs, and it takes the pressure of the sore legs by supporting the body's weight. They make them for dogs having problems in 2 (rear-support cart) or 4 legs (quad cart). I've got links to different suppliers on my pup's blog:
http://jaidasjourney.blogspot.com