Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ralfs Up All But Chicken And Fish

want4rain
July 22nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
duh.... so Hunter eats only chicken and fish. im assuming since we are suppose to feed a variety this is probably not so good??

of course i should also say he barfs up that too but only about once a week as opposed to every single time he eats it.

we tried beef for a week but it all came right back up. pork didnt happen... we havent tried rabbit yet because we dont have a deep freezer to keep the bulk meat in but turkey and cornish game hen both came up too. even organ meats from other animals come back up within 2 hours.

vet didnt seem concerned when this happened on his kibble/wet diet. im not even going to bother since its a raw. he also coughs on occasion. sounds like he is working up a hair ball. vet doesnt seem concerned about that either. says he probably has hair he is working around.

any big red flags there??? there is a holistic cat vet in the area but we are poor country folk and cant afford it unless its dire... and i mean DIRE.

-ash

mummummum
July 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'll qualify this with the reminder that I nothing about :cat: but I don't think there's a problem with just fish and chicken. Chicken heart and liver would be great if you can chuck (sorry couldn't resist:D ) them in too.

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 09:11 AM
oh so PARTS of each of those are great. i make sure i put int he head of the fish which they crunch through to get at the yuckies.... chicken liver, gizzards and heart, oyster also goes down well... not able to find a whole fish... so no fish PARTS. go figure. :) its just not a lucrative business to package fish spleen.

-ash

erykah1310
July 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
My cats can only hold down chicken rabbit and fish :shrug:
Raw feeding for cats is a whole different book than dogs. I have a good site somewhere, I'll try to dig it up and post it.

pigfoot
July 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I read that its fine to keep cats on chicken (or other foul), fish and rabbit and to actually avoid beef if possible, that it is harder on their systems than the small prey animals. makes sense, since the natural diet for wild cats would be small prey animals. I read that they do tend to actually puke up beef, so thats no surprise. I wouldnt worry too much unless they start puking everything up...

want4rain
July 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM
yeah i wouldnt have thoughbt too much of it but the little sucker was ralfing up turkey and cornish game hens too. im not sure what much of the difference is really. :)

-ash