Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy paralysis - seeking info

Airbourne
July 22nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
I have been to the vet, several times, with no conclusions. I am now seeking info from anyone this may have happened to. My 9week old Catahoula went from a healthy active pup , to still as far as the vet can tell healthy pup with no movement of her hind legs. She has no swelling of joints, broken or fractured bones, no blood infections (bacterial or fungal) She is on meds for parasites, but it is a shot in the dark. The breeders, me and the vet are baffled and seeking any info that might help! Thanks :confused:

mummummum
July 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Has she had a CT scan or MRI as yet ?

Airbourne
July 23rd, 2007, 10:45 AM
we do not have access to ct scans or mri's in our area, but she seems to have all the signs of something called coonhound paralysis. thank you for you intrest in our problem

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
That's at least hopeful ! Keep us posted on how your puppy does with therapy and support. Here is a link for anyone who is interested in knowing more about acute idiopathic polyradiculoneuritis

http://www.bobmckee.com/Client%20Info/Neurology/Polyradiculoneuritis.html

geoffh4
July 23rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
I have heard multiple stories of puppys/dogs developing paralysis as a result of a tick bite.

Ticks can carry paraylsis causing bacteria, which when removed, will instantly cure

Be careful, it affects humans too.

The lower legs is a good sign if this is the disesase. It always starts with lower legs, and slowly moves up the body, as its a neurotoxin and affects the most distal appendages (in this case, the hind legs)

heres an article: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001359.htm

Tick Paralysis is caused by a neurotoxin found in tick saliva. An infected pet will show signs in five to nine days after tick attachment. The typical symptoms are general loss of neuromuscular function, starting most often from the back end of the animal and then moving forward. Diagnosis of tick paralysis is usually based on clinical signs, presence of ticks, and ruling out other causes of paralysis. Luckily, the clinical typically resolve soon after tick removal.

Airbourne
July 23rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
we have ruled out ticks as there is none on the island were we live but we have checked her for them anyhow and mites. They say this coonhound paralysis is often mistaken for ticks as it has many of the same symptoms.