Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My pup - too much peeing, water and moping around!

SEVIIN
July 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Hey guys, I have an 8mth old German Shepherd X Siberian Husky and for the past few weeks since it's been really warm and muggy out she seems to be drinking a lot of water. She seems to be slowing down the last couple days but I'm wondering if it's the heat? She will drink so much sometimes that she will have to pee once every 2 hours and sometimes as soon as she stands up she'll just go by mistake and then stop herself so she can finish outside.

During this time since it's been warm also, she seems to lose interest in a lot of things now. She loves going for walks but today she wanted to go home sooner and lagged behind a bit (it's also very hot today). She never wants to end the walk but today she just doesn't have as much excitement about anything except her breakfast lol. I've been noticing over the last couple weeks that when I call her to come to me she mopes and walks slowly over. We have a rule never to tell her to come to us whenever she's being bad but only to make it a good thing so that she knows she's not in trouble and we trained her this with treats. We did this while training her re-call. I have stopped giving her treats for coming to me so do you think that might be why? Should I give her a treat now and then so she isn't bored with coming to me and thinks she's going to get nothing out of it? She is treated with more love imaginable and we would never harm her. Now, I'm just worried that people are going to see how she acts while coming to us and that they might think we do hurt her and the very thought of that makes me want to just die :sad: She's making us look bad, HELP! How can I cheer her up!

We are going to be taking her to the vet this coming week just to get her a check-up so I'll find out more then but until then .. what do you think? :) Thank you!

mummummum
July 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I think I would count on bringing a urine sample and having her blood tested while she is at the Vet. While it's normal for dawgs to show lethargy in the heat and to drink more water, you are also describing increased output of urine (which she wouldn't be doing if she was thirsty due to the heat, she would be panting more and expiring and exces through panting), incontinence and signs of depression (the moping, not interested in what's going on around her or you). If your dog spends most of time outdoors, you may want to bring her inside for the majority of the day to ensure she stays cool and comfortable all the same. Let us know how you make out at the Vet.

SEVIIN
July 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks mummumm (cute name). Yeah she's inside more of the time than outside. But we make sure she's out for a bunch during the day with us for daily walks etc, so she doesn't get too used to it, don't want her to be a burb lol.

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll try to get back on this site so I can keep you updated on how it goes at the vet. We actually just got back from the beach and she did wonderfully, full of energy but she had about 3 small pee's, so I think she might have a urinary infection :( I'll make sure to get her anything she needs from the vet, she's such a good dog, she deserves to be healthy (well even bad dogs do, but you know what I mean ;) ). The thought of knowing she might be uncomfortable upsets me so hopefully all goes well. Thanks again.

SEVIIN
July 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Update - Well we took our dog Rayne to the vet this morning and just to refresh her problem for you, she is only 8 months old and has been losing weight noticeably in her rear and tummy, drinking water obsessively and peeing a lot, she has also lost a lot of energy and seems quite depressed.

So we got blood tests done for her this morning and the vet told us she has a high chance of having diabetes and if it's not that, then it's Cushing's disease but he said most likely Diabetes. He said her glucose levels are supposed to be around 4 - 7.9 and they are at 27 :eek: Last night before I brought her in she was bloated in the chest area so I called emergency and they told me to give her 2 tablespoons of corn syrup. I asked the vet if that could effect her glucose levels today and he said it's possible so he's asking us to take her in again on Thursday for another glucose test and if it turns out that she does have high glucose levels again, he will need to keep her for a few days to monitor her while he does her insulin levels. After that he will show us how to give her the insulin shot every day and what diet to put her on.

I'm so worried about her, I told my dad and he feels bad for me but he thinks because she is young to take putting her down into consideration and I don't think my boyfriend and I can do that, it breaks my heart. He brought up questions I need to ask my vet like, how long she can live, what she can and cannot do, the expenses etc, because he is worried I won't be able to afford it. I'm not taking price into consideration because she is my baby and I feel that if you have a pet, you take on the responsibility of knowing things like this might happen and you deal with it. It's just unfortunate though that it happened so early, like I said she is only 8 months old. She is a German Shepherd X Sib. Husky, so does anyone have any ideas of how long a large breed dog will live with diabetes if kept healthy and can she be happy? Also, is there anyone here with a pet with diabetes? Some advice would be really nice right now, I'm feeling pretty terrible at the moment :frown: Thanks

chico2
July 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I had a cat who was diabetic,he lived happily to 17 yrs of age,when he died of cancer,of course he was not diagnosed until he was 10yrs old,but with daily injections he was doing fine.
The insulin is really not expensive once you get him on a proper dosage,I would not ever consider having an animal put down because he/she is diabetic and I know you don't want to.
The initial testing etc,might be a bit expensive,but I am sure Rayne will be fine for several years.
Good Luck and please keep us posted.

sugarcatmom
July 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Awww, sorry to hear about Rayne having diabetes, but guess what?!! It's totally treatable and most assuredly not something to euthanize her for. I've had a diabetic cat for the past 4.5 years and while there have been some challenging times, I don't regret it for a second. Looking after a special needs pet can be very rewarding. The bond between Aztec and I has become incredibly strong and I pray that he lives at least as long as chico2's cat did.

Treating a diabetic dog is a bit different than a cat, and in some ways can actually be easier. Insulin dose is often determined by a dog's weight (not so with cats, which can make it hard to find the right amount). Dogs also tend to have Type 1 diabetes, while cats have Type 2, Type 1 being a little more stable and predictable. As well, dogs often do fine with one insulin injection a day, while 99% of cats need at least two.

One of the biggies to watch out for with diabetic dogs is how quickly they can lose their eyesight from the development of cataracts, so it's important to start treatment as soon as possible. Here is a really great website (Canine Diabetes) (http://www.caninediabetes.org/) that I urge you to start reading, it has lots of stuff that you're going to need to know. It can be a steep learning curve at first, but very soon it will all be second nature to you. I can practically test my cat's blood glucose and give him an injection in my sleep!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

SEVIIN
July 24th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I had a cat who was diabetic,he lived happily to 17 yrs of age,when he died of cancer,of course he was not diagnosed until he was 10yrs old,but with daily injections he was doing fine.
The insulin is really not expensive once you get him on a proper dosage,I would not ever consider having an animal put down because he/she is diabetic and I know you don't want to.
The initial testing etc,might be a bit expensive,but I am sure Rayne will be fine for several years.
Good Luck and please keep us posted.

Thank you Chico, that is really comforting to hear. My boyfriend and I could never put her down for that, she means too much to us, I don't care what my dad or anyone says. We've been doing our research on it all night and there is no reason she can't be healthy and happy for a long time to come. It really isn't that expensive no and that's good, it wasn't my main concern because I will do anything for her but it can be stressful thinking about it at times. I can't wait till she's herself again, I miss it when she teases the cats :rolleyes: I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderfully long time with your cat, you're very lucky!

SEVIIN
July 24th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Awww, sorry to hear about Rayne having diabetes, but guess what?!! It's totally treatable and most assuredly not something to euthanize her for. I've had a diabetic cat for the past 4.5 years and while there have been some challenging times, I don't regret it for a second. Looking after a special needs pet can be very rewarding. The bond between Aztec and I has become incredibly strong and I pray that he lives at least as long as chico2's cat did.

Treating a diabetic dog is a bit different than a cat, and in some ways can actually be easier. Insulin dose is often determined by a dog's weight (not so with cats, which can make it hard to find the right amount). Dogs also tend to have Type 1 diabetes, while cats have Type 2, Type 1 being a little more stable and predictable. As well, dogs often do fine with one insulin injection a day, while 99% of cats need at least two.

One of the biggies to watch out for with diabetic dogs is how quickly they can lose their eyesight from the development of cataracts, so it's important to start treatment as soon as possible. Here is a really great website (Canine Diabetes) (http://www.caninediabetes.org/) that I urge you to start reading, it has lots of stuff that you're going to need to know. It can be a steep learning curve at first, but very soon it will all be second nature to you. I can practically test my cat's blood glucose and give him an injection in my sleep!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you Sugarcatmom, I really appreciate the information. We checked out that site and it is very helpful. I like that you says that you can practically test your cat's blood glucose and give him an injection in your sleep lol, that honestly comforts me a lot because I'm was scared to give her a needle. A good few years ago my sister was getting me to help her give one of her horses a shot (I don't remember for what) and she showed me how to do it, she said, just pat his neck a few times in the spot where you will be injecting and then POP push it in ... and I stood there with the horse for about 5 minutes just going PAT PAT PAT .... nope not ready .... PAT PAT PAT .... nope still not ready ... PAT PAT PAT .... AHHHH FORGET IT!!! Then I just gave up cuz I couldn't bring myself to do it :D So now that's all I've been thinking of and you saying that it's easy really makes me feel better about it and I appreciate that. Thanks again!

sugarcatmom
July 25th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Thank you Sugarcatmom, I really appreciate the information. We checked out that site and it is very helpful. I like that you says that you can practically test your cat's blood glucose and give him an injection in your sleep lol, that honestly comforts me a lot because I'm was scared to give her a needle. A good few years ago my sister was getting me to help her give one of her horses a shot (I don't remember for what) and she showed me how to do it, she said, just pat his neck a few times in the spot where you will be injecting and then POP push it in ... and I stood there with the horse for about 5 minutes just going PAT PAT PAT .... nope not ready .... PAT PAT PAT .... nope still not ready ... PAT PAT PAT .... AHHHH FORGET IT!!! Then I just gave up cuz I couldn't bring myself to do it :D So now that's all I've been thinking of and you saying that it's easy really makes me feel better about it and I appreciate that. Thanks again!

The main thing to remember when giving animals a shot is that they don't have the same needle phobias that people tend to have. There's no anticipation of pain, they just feel a tiny sting and that's it, all done, no big deal, where as people get all anxious leading up to the whole procedure, building it up to be more painful than it actually is. It's a mental thing. Just be calm and confident (easier said than done at first, but it will come!), and know that you're doing a great thing for Rayne.

Pets are also very forgiving of our clumsy first attempts, especially if there's a treat in it for them. Is there something extra special that Rayne loves, a piece of freeze-dried liver or maybe some fresh chicken chunks? I find a favourite treat given only at shot or test time ensures it will be a positive experience. My cat actually comes and asks me (or wakes me up!) for blood tests so that he can get some freeze-dried chicken. As well, many people find it easiest to give shots while their pet is distracted by eating. You'll quickly figure out a system that works best for you guys.

Just one last thing: you might have to ask your vet about home-testing Rayne's blood glucose. Many vets don't want to overwhelm their clients with too much info and risk scaring them off the idea of treatment, and some don't even realize that you can test the animal's blood at home with a human glucometer, but it really is a hugely valuable tool in the management of this disease. If the vet isn't able or willing to help you with that, look on the Canine Diabetes website for more info.

Again, all the best to you and Rayne.

SEVIIN
July 25th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Thank you very much Sugarcatmom, This is good advice thank you. I tell ya I don't know what I would do if a place like this wasn't on the net, it's very important!

Last night I was so worried about her I couldn't stop crying because her breathing was especially fast, about 2-3 breaths for every SUPPOSED to be one breath. You know the ridiculous thing about this city? .. the nearest emergency vet is over an hour and a half away and when I called them the other night, the only advice she could give me was to give Rayne 2 tbsp's of corn syrup. She even told me she couldn't take her because they didn't have an x-ray machine?!?!?!?!? What the?? What kind of place is this?? I'm so frustrated because what if something happens to her at midnight or whenever and I can't either they can't do anything about it or I don't get her there on time. Or what about if animal here gets hit by a car or needs emergency help, they have to drive over an hour, possibly risking their pets death on the way?? It should be law that there is an emergency vet in EVERY town or city. Our city is classified a city but it's closer in size to a very big town, I just moved here a year ago and I think it's weird.

Sorry, I just had to rant there for a second because I've been really upset about this and the worst for people and myself keeps going through my head. Can't diabetic dogs/cats go into shock or seizure?? I heard something like that on tv and this womens dog started to seizure so she grabbed whatever she could that was sugary and started giving it to the dog and the vet apparently told her if she hadn't have done that her dog possibly wouldn't have come back. This was awhile ago so I'm not sure but is this something I should find out from the vet if it does happen? Because I want to know what to do if she goes into one and I want to be prepared for it.

I'm definitely going to give her a treat during shot time to make it more pleasant, she's kind of wimpy so wouldn't want to discourage her from shot time. At the vet yesterday she even gave a teeny yelp when he put the 'ear checker' (?) in her ear. He didn't hurt her, she just didn't like it. So I'll have to avoid those reaction. Thanks again for your advice sugarcat, I'll make sure to ask him about testing her blood glucose levels at home. We still have tomorrow to find out for sure if this is what it is, it's so frustrating not knowing, she's just laying on the floor right now with a bony little butt and I feel so helpless. Just want all this waiting to be over and for her to be back to normal again :sad: I'll keep you posted on what exactly is wrong with her, Thursday I should know. He said it's high chances because of her tests that it's diabetes but it could even be Cushing's disease but he said thats highly doubtful. I just wish I knew!!!!!!!! :fingerscr

sugarcatmom
July 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Can't diabetic dogs/cats go into shock or seizure??

Yup, that is a possibility from getting either too much insulin or not enough food, called hypoglycemia. This is taken from the Petdiabetes (http://www.petdiabetes.org/hypoglycemia.htm) website (another great one you should check out):

The most serious side effect of too much insulin is hypoglycemia, or low blood glucose. Hypoglycemia can be a life-threatening, even fatal condition.

Classic signs of hypoglycemia

lethargy (lack of energy)
weakness
head tilting
"drunkedness" - wobbling when walking, unbalanced
hunger
restlessness
shivering
ataxia - usually lack of muscular coordination, but maybe changes in head and neck movements
disorientation
stupor
convulsions or seizures
coma

The occurrence of signs depends on how far the bg drops and on how fast the blood glucose drops.

Owners of diabetic dogs have also reported observing these signs:

- sweating - check the nose and the paw pads.
- lip smacking or licking
- getting physically "stuck" in a place where the pet normally could get itself out (for example, behind a partially closed door that a pet would usually nudge open.)

Treatment for hypoglycemia involves trying to get the blood glucose back up, either with food or, if it's urgent (and definitely convulsions would be considered urgent!) using sugary things like corn or maple syrup. That's why I think being able to test your dog's bg at home is so important, it will help you figure out if some of the symptoms like 'hunger' or 'restlessness' are actually due to a low bg or not (takes a lot of the guesswork out of this whole process).

He said it's high chances because of her tests that it's diabetes but it could even be Cushing's disease but he said thats highly doubtful. I just wish I knew!!!!!!!! :fingerscr

I don't know a huge amount about Cushing's, but I do know that it's caused by a tumor on either the pituitary or adrenal gland. It tends to occur in older dogs, which is probably one reason why your vet doesn't think it's as likely as diabetes.

Good luck on Thursday!

SEVIIN
July 25th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks, god that hypoglycemia sounds scary. I'll do all the research I can to keep from that happening. I'm worried that when she goes to the vet tomorrow and once he starts her on the insulin, if that might happen to her. I really hope he just starts of slow with a little right away. I'll keep you posted!

SEVIIN
July 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM
So we took our Rayne to the vet again today. We were going to wait until tomorrow but the vet that we had gone to, something just seemed off with him and he was highly pricey. I like going to vets that seem like they WANT to be in it for the pet, not the money. He left us in the dark with our last visit and didn't really tell us a whole lot. So we made the decision to travel an hour out of town from now on to an excellent vet. She's really great, my boyfriend met her, I didn't but he said she provided him with so much information, showed him how to do everything, along with the insulin shots and provided him all of his answers without him even needing to really ask.

The previous vet was going to charge us $40 for a vile of insulin that would last 15 days and on top of that, the supplies, regular check-ups and food. This new vet, was highly recommended to us. We spoke to a bunch of people who say to go to her over ANY of the vets here and even when my boyfriend met her, she didn't really go into detail but she said she heard a lot of things about him and many people end up leaving town just to find different vets, not just her. Anyway, she is charging us $29 per vile and they last about 2 months, she is also going to bring her medication and food into the city for us because her parents live here! I thought that was great that she offered that because she knew how far it is to drive there. So she figured if she comes here regularly, she might as well save us a trip. So how about that, a great vet with excellent reviews, highly knowledgeable and experienced with diabetic animals and she's in it for the animal, not the money.

It still is sad that our baby is diabetic but we have great confidence that she is going to live a long, healthy and happy life. Just can't wait for her to come home now. She's at the vet until tomorrow because she wanted to keep her over night. I'll keep posting about her progress over the next couple days/weeks and any advice is always welcome, cuz we're gonna need it :rolleyes: Thanks again to anyone who's helped me out with this, it's great knowing there are others going through the same thing. :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
July 25th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Yay, it sounds like you found a real gem in the new vet! That's so amazing that she's even willing to deliver "the goods" to you guys. What a difference it makes when you have a good raport with the vet, after all they'll need to be closely involved throughout this process.

I'm interested to know what type of insulin (is it Caninsulin??) and how much Rayne ends up getting, so do keep posting back here. I'd like to learn more about canine diabetes along with you.
:thumbs up

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Seviin,I am soo glad you found a dedicated vet who understands your worry,a good vet is half the battle.
With me and my Peppi,the beginning with insulin was difficult,but it soon became part of the day,same as feeding them.
I don't remember much,it was sooo long ago,but I am glad Sugarcatmom has been helpful with info:thumbs up
Good luck and don't forget to keep us posted:dog:

SEVIIN
July 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Yay, it sounds like you found a real gem in the new vet! That's so amazing that she's even willing to deliver "the goods" to you guys. What a difference it makes when you have a good raport with the vet, after all they'll need to be closely involved throughout this process.

I'm interested to know what type of insulin (is it Caninsulin??) and how much Rayne ends up getting, so do keep posting back here. I'd like to learn more about canine diabetes along with you.
:thumbs up

I know I'm so happy that we found her. I don't know, it just makes the whole process so uncomfortable when you don't feel completely safe with your other vet and have doubts. It's like going to a doctors office for yourself, you want someone you are comfortable with and you guys just 'click', that's important to me. Like you said we'll need to have her closely involved the whole time and so we need someone who we know we can trust and like. You are so lucky you are in Calgary now, they have some excellent vets. I just moved to NB about a year ago from Calgary and I'm surprised at the limited amount of animal care there is here (in my city anyway, like I said, the nearest emergency vet is over and hour away:eek: )

It is Caninsulin and she is going to be getting 2 shots everyday, we just don't know how much yet. Rayne is coming home later this afternoon so she is going to give my boyfriend all of the information that she found out over night. I was surprised that she would need 2 shots a day but I guess it's because some types of insulin only has a certain period of time that it works for, others go all day, so it allows for her insulin levels to be even all day? I don't know, that part confuses me, I'll have to get him to explain that one to me again !!

I'll know more tonight, thanks for wanting to go through this with me, that gives me a lot of encouragement actually :o

SEVIIN
July 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Seviin,I am soo glad you found a dedicated vet who understands your worry,a good vet is half the battle.
With me and my Peppi,the beginning with insulin was difficult,but it soon became part of the day,same as feeding them.
I don't remember much,it was sooo long ago,but I am glad Sugarcatmom has been helpful with info:thumbs up
Good luck and don't forget to keep us posted:dog:

You are exactly right a good vet IS half the battle and they are tough to find. We had to travel an hour out of town just to find her. I had to call our previous vet back last night to cancel Rayne's appointment for 8am, so I left a message just saying that we found another vet that is more convenient. Which definitely is NOT the case lol, she's just better, more knowledgeable, likable and cheaper.

How long has your little Peppi been diabetic for? Is that your cat in the picture or is peppi someone else? It's comforting to know it just becomes part of your day. I checked out that Canine Diabetes site sugarcatmom provided to me and it helped too because I'm afraid I'm going to do something wrong or forget to give her the shot! But our vet told my boyfriend that we need to be very regular with it and if there is ever a time where we are not sure if one of us gave her a shot or not, then NOT to give her another one, it's better none than too much because then that's when they can go into coma, seizure etc. So that made me feel a little better, knowing that none isn't going to kill her and if we are worried that she didn't get any and don't give her a shot, then just do a blood glucose test to make sure she's ok to not have one.

It's helpful because my mom is diabetic also, so she's been coaxing me through this too and I think she is going to be just as important to my dog as my vet is. So much to know in so little time! Thanks for sticking by me, I really appreciate your help in all of this. :)

mummummum
July 26th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Have you started yet Sevin ? I, for one would like to know more about this so please update us on what it's like, what you have to do, how your doggie does with all of this, changes you notice in health and appearance etc.

SEVIIN
July 26th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Have you started yet Sevin ? I, for one would like to know more about this so please update us on what it's like, what you have to do, how your doggie does with all of this, changes you notice in health and appearance etc.

Hey mummummum, no we start tonight. She comes home later this afternoon so we will need to give her a shot tonight. She had her first insulin shot at the vet yesterday and I'm not sure when she got her second one today. I will definitely keep you posted on how she improves and how it all works. The vet said that after a few days we will start noticing her energy level improving and she should start putting on weight and by the next couple of weeks she should start to look healthy again. She's very skinny right now in her rear area and her skull shows a little bit :sad: , she lost about 5 lbs since I weighed her 2 weeks ago. She was at 33.8 lbs I believe it was and the vet weighed her in at 29lbs when she should have been over 35lbs. So I will let you know how she comes along. Thanks mummum :pray:

sugarcatmom
July 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM
But our vet told my boyfriend that we need to be very regular with it and if there is ever a time where we are not sure if one of us gave her a shot or not, then NOT to give her another one, it's better none than too much because then that's when they can go into coma, seizure etc. So that made me feel a little better, knowing that none isn't going to kill her and if we are worried that she didn't get any and don't give her a shot, then just do a blood glucose test to make sure she's ok to not have one.

That's right. Not enough insulin will do damage over the long-term, but too much insulin has the potential to do damage in the short-term. Definitely better safe than sorry. One way to avoid confusion when multiple people are involved in a pet's care is to designate just one person as the insulin giver, unless that person isn't home. That's what I do at my house. Others make up a spreadsheet or calendar for the fridge door that gets initialled by whoever gives the insulin (although the problem with that is what happens if they forget to initial the sheet?). Basically it comes down to good communication between those involved. I'm sure you and your boyfriend will be able to work out a good routine.

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Seviin,my Peppi died about 10yrs ago at 17 yrs old,but not from beeing diabetic,he died from cancer,he too was white like Vinnie in my Avatar,but he did not have different colour eyes.
Good luck tonight giving the first injection:fingerscr
I wish I had had the internet when my Peppi was sick:sad: he was a wonderful cat,now buried in my backyard.

SEVIIN
July 26th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Chico, I'm sorry to hear about Peppi. It's sounds as though he had a wonderful life though if he lived till 17, you are fortunate to have had that time with him and I'm sure he knew you did everything you could for him, having the internet or not :) Your Vinnie is a beauty I absolutely love the eyes! :lovestruck:

---

So when I got home from work today Rayne was home from her new vet after being there over night. The vet did all of her tests throughout the day and got her insulin levels figured out. So my boyfriend showed me all of our new 'goodies' the glycometer, test strips, vein pricker and PAPER oh lordy the paper work. I was sick to my stomach looking at all this new stuff we have to get used to. Hey showed me how to prick her ear to get a little blood for the test strips, it read 19.6, so it was high but he said that was good compared to what the vet said she was at last night.

So we fed her and then he showed me how to give her the shot. I was so scared, the vet told him that a teeny bubble won't harm her because it's not going into the blood stream but to make sure we at least try to get all of them out. So he gently rolled the vile to mix the insulin and I watched in horror as he gave it to her :eek: it really wasn't THAT bad but it was his 2nd time giving her a shot because the vet did it yesterday and then showed him how to do it with saline solution so he would at least know how. So he was very nervous too I could tell but he handled it very well and I was pretty impressed. I was calm also but I felt flushed, my face was hot, my heart was pounding and my eyes were just wide. I think I was holding my breath the whole time or something.

She's doing great though so far, she has about 50% of her energy back and she's not peeing in the house and drinking near as much water as she was. I was shocked as to her improvement after only 2 days actually. Now the nerve wracking part is that I have to give her a shot in the morning and I've never done it before and I'm going to be all alone because my boyfriend has to work. I remember everything he told me though and I think I'm going to do ok. I just have to remember to keep my nerves calm because I don't want to be shaking when I do it or stress her out either.

She has a big tuft of skin around her neck because of her breed so if I pull up that skin into a hollow and then put the needle in, is there a big chance of hitting a vein? He said that is why you pull the skin up so you don't get one but I've heard two different things that I'm not sure about. When I put the needle in do I HAVE to pull the press of the needle out just slightly to check if any blood enters the insulin (if it hits a vein) or can I just push it right in without checking? I'm going to call my vet in the morning to get her to guide me through it but just an opinion if you do it too would be nice but I think I'll ask her again in the morning cuz I wasn't there for her to show me so I'm still pretty nervous about it. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning. :fingerscr :pray:

EDIT - Just thought I'd mention it...

I guess at the vet, Rayne was VERY talkative so they decided to take her out of her kennel and let her hang out with them all day in the back. They even gave her a nice pedicure :rolleyes: I thought that was really nice of them.

chico2
July 27th, 2007, 06:49 AM
SEVIIN,How did it go this morning???
Soon you'll be a pro at giving shots,especially when you see her improvement.
Yes,my Peppi had a wonderful long life,he was an angel:angel:

sugarcatmom
July 27th, 2007, 07:05 AM
When I put the needle in do I HAVE to pull the press of the needle out just slightly to check if any blood enters the insulin (if it hits a vein) or can I just push it right in without checking?

Nope, you really don't have to pull back on the plunger to check for blood. It just complicates the whole procedure and when you're doing subcutaneous injections like this, it's completely unnecessary. It's much better to just be as swift and efficient as possible. The chances of hitting a vein are nil to none. In fact, I'd like to see someone actually TRY to hit a vein doing this!

So ya, you're doing great kiddo!! And to already be doing the blood glucose testing, that's fantastic! Yay team Rayne!!!

SEVIIN
July 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Alright so heres the story. I just gave her a shot about 1/2 hour ago and I was scared to death. But I kept my nerves calm and didn't shake. I was completely beginner though and clumsy as all get out. I pulled a tuft of skin like I was told from her shoulder, put the needle in (she gets 17IU) let the skin go and as I was pushing it in she pulled away :eek: NOOO Rayne, I didn't yell I just gasped for a second. Then I tried again and the insulin just wouldn't go in when I pressed the plunger, then the 3rd time it went in fine. Oh god, 3 times, I felt so bad for her. But she's alright and I'm really happy I got to do it.

I called the vet and told her about my horrible first attempt and she said it's natural but I'll get used to it and so will Rayne. I couldn't sleep last night knowing I had to do it and so at 2am I decided to test her blood glucose on my own and I ruined a couple strips cuz I didn't do it right, I don't think I got enough blood. So I didn't want to try again because 100 strips is $80! I told my boyfriend and he said he'll do it for me next time so I know. We'll get the hang of it, the 3 of us are obviously dummies about everything right now but it really wasn't so bad this morning and I know it will be better the next time around.

Thanks again!

hazelrunpack
July 27th, 2007, 08:55 AM
You did a great job! :thumbs up Kept at it and finally got it right! You'll get used to it Seviin! :grouphug:

I totally relate to your flushed feeling and not being able to breathe. I get that way when they take my blood, as well as when I have to give a dog a shot! :laughing: hazel is a mess when it comes to needles--but it gets so much easier the more you do it, so just hang in there! :grouphug:

Glad to hear that Rayne is doing better! Soon she'll be 100% :goodvibes:

SEVIIN
July 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks Hazelrun, I'll definitely get used to it. Everything feels very overwhelming right now just because of everything we need to know but I think after a couple weeks we will have the hang of it. I'm just happy that shot is over with! She gets her 2nd one tonight and then I have to do the morning one again. So hopefully it goes better the 2nd time around.

bendyfoot
July 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Hey SEVIN,

hang in there, it gets easier. When we got Jaida home she was on injectable antibiotics for about 7 weeks. It felt really hard and scary for a few days, but got easier. Like you, we had problems with Jaida moving forward while we did the shot when there was only one person around to do it, but here's what we did to solve the problem (you might laugh, but hey it worked):

We got a Kong and put just enough peanut butter in it to keep her occupied for about a minute. Then I'd sit on the floor with her between my legs, facing away from me, and I'd hold the Kong between my feet to hold it still. She'd dive into the Kong and be totally oblivious when the needle went in. It was easiest if she was lying down during this, so the skin at her neck/shoulders wasn't pulled tight, but if she refused to lay down, I'd just hold the Kong up on a footstool, so her head was high enough and still. That particular move took some flexibility, but it was worth it!
If there's two of you it's even easier. Just get one person to hold the Kong tight against either the floor/chair/stool (so she won't move her head all over the place getting at the treat), and the other person can do the injection. After a week or so (other than the odd time that the medicine wouldn't go right in for some reason :shrug: ), it only took about 10 seconds to get set up and do the shot.

Hang in there!:highfive:

TeriM
July 28th, 2007, 11:25 PM
So sorry to hear of your poor pup :frown: but I'm glad you've got a diagnosis and some great tips from the others. Good luck :goodvibes: .

SEVIIN
July 29th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Bendyfoot, as funny as you think that sounds. I think that is a great idea! She loves her kong. I don't know if I can put peanut butter in it though, our vet told us not to give her anything until she can approve it first, so I might wait. We did go out and buy her some Freeze Dried Liver treats though, they are ONLY liver, lower in carbs, high in protien and one ingredient, like I said just dried liver. She only gets 2 a day, one for each shot time. Thank you very much for the tip, I'm going to crumble one I think and put it in her kong!

TeriM, thank you for your kind thoughts. I know, everyone has been wonderful helps to me. I couldn't have asked for more on this site, it's truly the best source for information and help available for your pets because there are so many different opinions and ideas that they all sort of come together to create one solution and VOILA the vet has a better clue lol. Thanks again!

SEVIIN
July 29th, 2007, 12:14 AM
So today was a VERY scary day. I think our vet might have told us to give her too much insulin. She told us to giver her 17IU of insulin 2 times a day. So last night we did that and this morning she was at 4, which means her blood glucose must have been really low over night and it is not supposed to go lower than 4. So we didn't give her the morning shot because it would have brought her right down below into the 'hypoglycemia' zone.

We went to the caninsulin site and it said for her weight in kg, she should only be getting between 7-9 IU's 2 times a day. So we checked her blood glucose level a bit later and the metre read HI - meaning she was over 27.7!!! So because of her 2nd meal she shot right up. So instead of giving her 17, we did what the caninsulin site and gave her 8 and added 3 more IU's to bring it down just a bit more because it was so high, I don't even know how hi because after 27.7 it will just read HI. Her levels went from over 27 to 21 in about 3 hours and she is doing really well now and it's been about 6 hours. We even double checked with our vet about everything because we've been so paranoid about everything and she said 17 iu's twice a day, she even wrote it down. She's getting us to give her the DAILY dose 2 times a day :eek: I thought I was going to be sick and I'm not kidding I was nauseous, it could have killed her.

She was in severe hypoglycemia over night because it HAD to have been under 4 if she was at Four this morning. Then because we didn't want to give her one because it would have gone right down, she was good all day until she ate and we had to give her her shot about 1/2 hour early I think it was. We also had to go out and buy new food because the food she told us would be ok for her was not, it had glucosamine, sugar etc in it which is one of the main reasons her glucose levels shot up so bloody high today. What the hell, why can't any of my vets get there damn facts straight? I'm sick of hearing all these mixed answers and I told my boyfriend today that I'm "diabeticly" warn out, I feel like I am so emotionally drained from this and I broke down today because I was just scared that everything is being done wrong.

Rayne is doing really well right now and I think everything is going to be ok from now on, we have done so much research and I swear I don't think we've talked about anything else but her for longer than 20 minutes a day, this is all we can focus on, I can't sleep, I can't eat. I'm frustrated!! I just want her to be ok and I want the hard part to be over because I'm just scared I'm going to lose her because of an error in information. You what, in the world of Vets and Doctors etc, there is no room for a simple error like this. It takes research, look in your text book again if you're not sure, don't guess or assume!

I'm sorry, my post 'personality' has completely changed since my other ones, I'm just because I'm scared for her more than ever. What a scary thing for her to have to go through, poor little girl. :sad:

TeriM
July 29th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I think peanut butter would be fine. I know it is recommended for people with diabetes. Just make sure you get the "natural" kind with no added sugar or salt.

SEVIIN
July 29th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Oh that is good to know, thanks Terri, appreciate that :) I think we will go out tomorrow than and see what we can find.

TeriM
July 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM
We even double checked with our vet about everything because we've been so paranoid about everything and she said 17 iu's twice a day, she even wrote it down. She's getting us to give her the DAILY dose 2 times a day I thought I was going to be sick and I'm not kidding I was nauseous, it could have killed her.

That is horrible :frustrated: , she must have meant to split the 17 iu's in half but obviously did not relay that info correctly. I'm glad Rayne was ok.

It must feel so overwhelming but I'm sure you will get it all stabalized and into a routine soon :goodvibes: . Can I ask what you are feeding her now?

SEVIIN
July 29th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Well we did have her on Purina ONE and she said that is an excellent brand and one of the top commercial foods but this particular type of Purina ONE wasn't good for her. At first we were feeding her P-ONE Healthy Growth & Development, then we slowly switched her to P-ONE Large Breed for puppies. The Healthy Growth did not have any glucose in it, we just found out today that the Large Breed formula did. So we went out and bought her a Hollistic food today that has no sugar in it and the main ingredient is Lamb.

I'm very sick to my stomach right now though because her levels are really high now again and I don't know what to do. There are no vets open until Monday and no emergency vets near us. The last emergency vet we called last Monday said she couldn't help up because she didn't have an x-ray machine and that didn't make sense to me (this was before we knew she was diabetic), then she told us to give her two tbsp of corn syrup in case she was diabetic. However she was VERY wrong because our dog had high glucose, so why she would tell us to give her more is beyond me.

I'm trying to find an emergency Diabetes help number. If anyone can help me find something like this or knows of one can you please post it here, I don't care what Country it's in, I just need an emergency number because I really don't know what to do. We tested her levels at 8pm before we fed her and gave her her evening shot and she was at HI (over 27), then we tested her at 11pm, she went down to 21, then I tested her at 2:30am and she was back to HI again. It's 4 o'clock in the morning right now and I can't give her more insulin or it will mess her up for the morning and will bring her really low. Right now she is in Hyperglycemia (Too High) and this morning when we woke up she was 4, which means she was too low possibly in Hypoglycemia level while we slept. I wish I was a vet right now.

TeriM
July 29th, 2007, 01:48 AM
What about giving her a small dose now and an extra handfull of food to help offset the effects? possibly set your alarm to give a handfull of food in the middle of the night?

SEVIIN
July 29th, 2007, 01:54 AM
It's already 4 in the morning though. She is due for her next full shot at 9 so only 5 hours. If we give her one now she will overlap and get too low when we give her one at 9 and when it's too low she could go into severe hypoglycemia. I can't sleep! :frown:

TeriM
July 29th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Sorry, I'm on the west coast and it is before midnight. What about a short walk, I read that exercise uses up glucose as a form of energy.

Here is a forum for people with pets with diabetes, you might have better info there.
http://p092.ezboard.com/bpetswithdiabetes.html?

SEVIIN
July 29th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Yeah I could give that a shot. She is really lethargic right now and doesn't want to move too much, I'll just walk her around the house and get her to keep moving. Thank you for the site and for sticking by me tonight.

chico2
July 29th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Seviin,sooo sorry about all yours and Raynes trouble,I am sure your nerves are ready to explode from worry:sad:
Wish I could help you..
One thing I've learned on our Forum,there is always an outpouring of love and understanding and often vital information,you might not think so at the moment,but you WILL get this under control..:pray:
Is your vet available in the weekend??

SEVIIN
July 29th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Hi Chico. Unfortunately there are no vets available here on the weekends and my vet isn't either. I stayed up all night! I joined a chatsite last night for people with diabetes, depression etc, so that I could get some help right away. A girl on there helped me through it last night for about an hour. She was actually incorrect because she told me she looked on the Caninsulin site and it said to give 17 IU's but that's a DAILY dose for dogs, not 2 times daily. Cats need it 2 times, most dogs need it once and in Rayne's case, she gets 2. So my vet was overdosing her.

I managed to stick it out and just keep an eye on her until shot time this morning and before I gave it to her she was down to 12.8 from over 27. A huge sense of relief came over me and just prior to that I created a new dose for her. On the Caninsulin site and pamphlets we have it says not to change the dose by anymore than 10% (20%) in severe cases. So last night we gave her 12, when it needed to be higher because her body was conflicting with the food we had her on. The food she said was ok for her was actually high in glucose. Purina ONE is good but we were feeding her Large Breed blend for puppies when we should have just kept her on Healthy Growth & Development blend for puppies because it doesn't have glucose or sugar. We also went out last night and bought her a bag of Hollistic food instead and it has no sugar at all and the main ingredient is Lamb. This morning we gave her 10 IU and tonight we are going to give her 8, then we willl slowly fluctuate the dose until she stabolizes. She is doing wonderful this morning, playing and everything! Oh and "I" gave her the shot this morning, my boyfriend held a freeze dried liver treat tight in his fingers for her to lick until I gave the shot and I did it in one swift shot! Whew!!! :highfive:

sugarcatmom
July 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I managed to stick it out and just keep an eye on her until shot time this morning and before I gave it to her she was down to 12.8 from over 27. A huge sense of relief came over me and just prior to that I created a new dose for her.

She is doing wonderful this morning, playing and everything! Oh and "I" gave her the shot this morning, my boyfriend held a freeze dried liver treat tight in his fingers for her to lick until I gave the shot and I did it in one swift shot! Whew!!! :highfive:

Sorry to hear you had such a rough night, but yay for small victories as well! Yes, treating diabetes and all of the various worries that go along with it can be SO scary in the beginning. Here's a quote from the Feline Diabetes (http://felinediabetes.com/newdiag.htm) website that I go to:

Your Emotions Will Be Raw.

Caring for a diabetic pet can be frustrating and emotionally stressful for everyone involved. At first, you wonder how much you are upsetting or hurting your pet by giving pills or injections, feeding a new diet, and doing all the other things you will have to do. The changes are difficult at first, and your pet may be upset or not acting as lovingly as usual. But these new activities are life-saving necessities and they soon become part of daily life, both for you and your pet. With all the extra attention and care that you give your pet, you will probably find that the bond between you and your pet becomes even stronger.

There may be times when your pet's diabetes is uncontrolled, or when other illnesses arise. The extra effort and commitment you give to your pet makes these set-backs even more heart-breaking and stressful. Every health crisis can be an emotional drain. Exhaustion, frustration, anger, sadness, fear, and guilt are all normal feelings that are part of caring for an animal with a chronic health condition. Don't ignore these feelings, but don't dwell on them either. Be sure to take some time for yourself and rely on your friends and family for emotional support. The bad times usually pass quickly and you learn to cherish the little things even more. And don't forget to celebrate the progress that you make, even if it is just a small step forward. I believe that animals are very perceptive of our emotions, and the healing power of love should not be underestimated. Never lose sight of the joy that your pet brings to your life.

Now, about that 4 bg reading yesterday morning: it doesn't absolutely mean she went lower during the night (it might have been her "peak" for the day), and even if she did, there is some leeway before truly severe hypoglycemia occurs. Usually, in an otherwise healthy animal, their liver will compensate for too low of a blood glucose by converting stored glycogen back into glucose, sending the bg back up (in simplified terms). This can result in what's called a Somoygi effect (http://www.caninediabetes.org/somygi.html), or "rebound". I wouldn't panic too much about getting a 4, but you were right not to give insulin then!! Perhaps if it happens again, you can feed Rayne and retest in an hour or two to see how fast her bg is going up, then decide on an insulin dose at that point (if someone is home, that is). Anyway, you did good, this is all still very early in the game. :)

chico2
July 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Seviin,I am glad you had some relief and Rayne is doing better:thumbs up
When I had Peppi,he had 2 shots/day,but I never had any testing-kit at home,he had to be checked at the vets...don't forget this was a long time ago.
I also think your vet was wrong in saying Purina One was the best food around,it definetly is not,there are lots of bettter foods out there.
Rayne probably needs to be on a special diet,but P One is loaded with fillers and not good for your dog stuff.
My vet says Hills and Science Diet is the best for my cats,mostly because they sell it and I know from just reading the ingredients it's really crappy food.
But first things first,Rayne needs to be stabilised and get the right dosage first.
It seems you are doing great:thumbs up :dog:

SEVIIN
July 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I agree it's not the best food around, I've been trying to find an excellent holistic food for my pets and was going to switch Rayne to 'Go Natural' when she hit a year old and then switch the cats to it as well. She didn't say it was the best food around, just one of the best 'commercial' foods because of it's high protein, fibre and it's vitamin E preserved etc and so far, we have been told to stick her on a commercial diet. Says that in some pamphlets we've picked up in various places and the pamphlet for Caninsulin also recommends a commercial diet. They say quote:

"...Although less ideal, a diabetic pet can be fed other types of food but make sure it is a commercial diet as it will be more uniform in its choice of ingredients as well as for the recipe.".

I switched to 'Holistic Blend' anyway, I was going to a long time ago but because she is a puppy there was too much protein in the foods and large breeds shouldn't grow especially fast cuz of the hips. But she is nearly full size now so I think she will be ok. Well, she's also going to have to be because she's not going back on Purina ONE. Once the pet shop we go to gets the 'Go Natural' in I will be switching to that though. This food that we got her for now is all natural, no sugar and recommended for diabetic pets and others with different illnesses or issues. It's sold in only one store in town here so we got lucky finding it.

Also, Rayne is doing excellent today. I started her on 10 IU's this morning with 2/3 of a cup of food, then at 3pm she had a 2nd meal 2/3 cup and then at 9 she will get her last meal and a shot of 8 IU's. So far we have tested her blood glucose once every 2 hours today and she has stayed between 6 and 10. It's still high but she's balancing out now and I feel so much better. She has a lot of energy today as well. Thank god we didn't continue to give her what our vet said, we would have OD'd her and could have lost her.

chico2
July 29th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Awww Seviin I am sooo happy for Rayne and you,it was heartbreaking to read about the trouble you had....it's so scary,you feel so inadequit(sp?)not knowing everything,but you are certainly on your way,just great:thumbs up

sugarcatmom
July 29th, 2007, 06:43 PM
So far we have tested her blood glucose once every 2 hours today and she has stayed between 6 and 10. It's still high but she's balancing out now and I feel so much better. She has a lot of energy today as well. Thank god we didn't continue to give her what our vet said, we would have OD'd her and could have lost her.

That's fantastic, especially considering you just started all this a few days ago. Do you need any log book templates for keeping track of the various bg numbers and insulin doses? I find it really helps to write down what's going on, so eventually as you gather more data, you can see the bigger picture or look for trends of what works and what doesn't. If you're interested, I have a few links somewhere that I can post.

As far as the high dose that your vet came up with, it could've been a result of stress-induced hyperglycemia that sometimes occurs when pets are away from the comforts of home, which is why regulation rarely occurs in a vet clinic. That's also why hometesting is so useful. It might seem expensive to have to buy those pricey little test-strips all the time, but it's considerably cheaper than running to the vet for every test, not to mention the peace-of-mind in being able to see immediately what the bg is. What glucometer are you using? Sounds like it might be a One Touch Ultra, based on the $80 test-strip price. If money is tight, you can often find good deals on eBay (http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=one+touch+ultra+test+strips&sacat=26395%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&floc=1&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&sadis=200&fpos=T2M+0E5&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=).

bendyfoot
July 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Rayne is doing really well right now and I think everything is going to be ok from now on, we have done so much research and I swear I don't think we've talked about anything else but her for longer than 20 minutes a day, this is all we can focus on, I can't sleep, I can't eat. I'm frustrated!! I just want her to be ok and I want the hard part to be over because I'm just scared I'm going to lose her

SEVIN,
I understand this feeling. It's kind of like caretaker's fatigue. You live, sleep, breathe, eat, the illness your pet is suffering from, you're reading as much as you can about it, you're watching her like a hawk and worrying and stressing and living on edge because you're fearful you may miss an important cue or sign that something might not be going well. It can feel like this even after a crisis has passed or when things appear to be ok. We've experienced this feeling a lot since February. We've dealt with life-threatening pneumonia, a very scary incident involving raging fever and hospitalization (and never found out the cause), and two major surgeries, both with complications. Sometimes it feels like it's never going to end and you'll never get into a "back to normal" feeling.

It passes, I promise. Incidents like what you experienced yesterday are horrible, and they give you that terrible sinking, helpless feeling. But eventually, those moments start to give way to the old, good feelings when you're simply enjoying your dog. You may even eventually catch yourself not worrying, and feel like it's a remarkable thing. You'll notice when it happens, because you'll be breathing easier and laughing more. All the medical "stuff" will eventually just become part of your daily routine, and small "blips" will also become part of the norm, and you'll become more conident about dealing with them.

You're doing really, really great. Diabetes management is not for the faint of heart, and you're coming through with shining colours. Be proud of yourselves, keep educating yourself (as you obviously are). You're well on your way to "back to normal".

Hugs!:grouphug:

SEVIIN
July 30th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Thank you so much you guys,

Sugarcatmom, Yeah I do need log stuff. We have a few charts that we fill out and a log book that we stick very faithfully to. We write down from morning till night what her levels are ever 2 hours, her exact food intake and treats, exercise and how much insulin she is getting.

I do agree, the high dose could have been from her being at the vet and the stress level from being from home. When she was home she was just too uneven on her levels all week and I couldn't control it. On the caninsulin site it says a dog is supposed to have half of what she recommended in a day. She was giving double the amount and I think if we had have continued on that, she would have gone into severe hypoglycemia and we would have lost her. I'm going to call her today and let her know what's going on to. So because she needs two shots a day in her case, we cut the dose down slowly to half that, morning and night and it's working like a charm. :highfive:

As for the glucometer, it is a 'FreeStyle Freedom'. It needs the least amount of blood. I don't really know what other glucometers look like but I like that this is small and very easy to use. We actually were looking in the paper yesterday and there is another glucometer that we can get and the strips are a little cheaper but I don't remember what it's called. It's in the car so I'll get it tonight. Thanks again though for your support:thumbs up

bendyfoot, yes it is hard and I know I will get used to it. I stayed up all night, night before last I was so worried and so all day yesterday I was a zombie. I was happy yesterday her levels were really good though so I didn't have to be a stressed zombie cuz then I don't know what I would have done. I appreciate you encouragement and kind words. It helps me remember that we can get through this and that we really are doing a good thing for her. Thank you.

SEVIIN
July 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM
So here is how it's going. Rayne is doing great! We slowly cut her insulin dose from the recommended 17IU's 2x a day to around 8IU's in the morning and 7IU's at night. We changed her food to 'Holistic Blend' all-natural food, it has no chemicals or sugar and the first ingredient is lamb. We give her 2/3 cup in the morning with her first shot, 2/3 cup at around 3pm and then 2/3 cup at night. So she gets 2 cups a day as recommended on the bag. Well actually the bag says 1 3/4 cup a day but it just seemed like so little so we added 1/4 of a cup more. She's doing great on it and she LOVES it. We bought her freeze dried liver for treats so she still gets some enjoyment out of her day!

We test her blood every 2 hours and will do that for the next week just to watch what is going on with her. After we have her settled, we will test her once twice a day and then slowly move down to once ever 3 days after a couple months. She had so much energy yesterday. Her levels fluctuated between 6mmol/L and 10mmol/L all day and today she was at 5.6 at 9am and 5.1 at 11am, so she's dead on where she is supposed to be. I'm feeling so much better and I just hope it stays like this. I'm still expecting the unexpected though and we will be monitoring her very closely for awhile yet. But this is a nice break on my nerves! :eek:

chico2
July 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Seviin that's great to hear,soon you'll say,gosh what was I sooo worried about,Rayne is doing great...:grouphug:

bendyfoot
July 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Can we have a picture, please?:dog:

SEVIIN
July 30th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Wow what a coincidence. I just finished Rayne's blood glucose test and I took pictures of the whole thing. Then I sign on here and you ask for one JUST as I was saving them ... :highfive: great minds think alike! :p

Here she is, feeling 100% better. You can see that her butt is still a little bony but she'll gain her weight back very soon, she's already starting!
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/SEVllN/RayneJuly30.jpg

Getting ready for her blood test, she already knows the routine...
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/SEVllN/RaynePriortobloodtestJuly30.jpg

The ear poke :sad: she handles this very well!
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/SEVllN/RayneBloodPrickJuly30.jpg

The strip test ... sometimes they can be a little tricky :fingerscr
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/SEVllN/RayneBloodGlucoseTestJuly30.jpg

SUCCESS! Perfect Level :highfive:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/SEVllN/Rayne58July30.jpg

... and of course, a liver treat to make it all worth while!
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/SEVllN/RayneTreatJuly30.jpg

I'll put up a couple more pics of her getting her shot later, have to get my boyfriend to take them though, I don't think I can hold the camera, hold her still, hold a treat in front of her nose AND give her a shot at the same time. Unless of course I learn how to use my feet too :D

chico2
July 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Awww,what a good doggie she is,great to see some pics of her,she is beautiful,hopefully more pics to come:lovestruck:
I am sure we are ALL proud of you and the way you handled this ordeal,clear sailing from now on,good job:thumbs up

SEVIIN
July 30th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks chico :) I feel a lot better about it and she's so good when I do her tests, she just lays there very calm and the only time she will move is if the needle prick hurts but she doesn't do it often and she only moves her front paw and just brushes her nose with it. The last couple needles she has handled really well too, I didn't have my boyfriend to give her a treat this morning but I managed to do it quick enough that she didn't have time to go anywhere. There is definitely a lot of improvement that's happened here in the last few days and I'm already starting to feel comfortable with everything. I just hope it all stays the way it's been going, level wise. :fingerscr

sugarcatmom
July 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM
She's sooooo pretty! And what a good patient. Give her a belly-rub for me.

Wow, those are some great bg numbers you're getting. How awesome is that!!! Looks like you guys are well on the way to a happy healthy routine. Here are some links to various styles of record-keeping templates, in case you ever need them:

http://www.petdiabetes.org/recordkeeping.htm
http://www.gorbzilla.com/updated_toc.htm
http://felinediabetes.com/schedule/schedule.htm

And here is a link to a great "one-stop-shopping" resource of all things related to pets and diabetes: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

All the best to you and your family, and I look forward to more updates as you go along. :D

SEVIIN
July 30th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks sugarcat for all the helpful sites. They've got some good ideas to go by. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with her readings lately. The lowest she's been is 4.9 and the highest has been 12.8 over the past 2 days but that was only once each and most of her other readings have been in the 5's and 6's. :thumbs up

SEVIIN
August 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, I have a question. We have been very regular about Rayne's shots and haven't missed anything but tonight I fed her and forgot to give her her shot. 2 1/2 hours later I freaked and remembered and her levels were over 27. I gave her a shot and took her for a quick run to bring her levels down. She should be going down now but is a shot without food okay? Like I said, I fed her 2 1/2 hours ago. Anyone with diabetic pets let me know as soon as you can cuz I might need to give her some. The only reason I'm not right now is because her levels are very high and food will bring them higher. Thank you.

BTW ... Rayne has made a 100% recovery and is very energetic and getting her health back again. Thanks again for all your support and I will keep you updated still.

:pawprint: EDIT::pawprint:
All is okay, it's about 2 hours later and her levels are going down and I took her for another walk to bring them down a bit more. She should get down to her lowest point of about 7 or 8mmol/L around 4 am or so and then for morning she'll be fine. So no worries, thanks though :)

sugarcatmom
August 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Hey guys, I have a question. We have been very regular about Rayne's shots and haven't missed anything but tonight I fed her and forgot to give her her shot. 2 1/2 hours later I freaked and remembered and her levels were over 27. I gave her a shot and took her for a quick run to bring her levels down. She should be going down now but is a shot without food okay? Like I said, I fed her 2 1/2 hours ago. Anyone with diabetic pets let me know as soon as you can cuz I might need to give her some. The only reason I'm not right now is because her levels are very high and food will bring them higher. Thank you.

Hey, life happens, and the occasional high numbers aren't the end of the world. If you can test her again tonight to see how rapidly she's dropping, maybe you can make judgement call then about the food. I don't know how Caninsulin works in dogs, but with a bg of 27 there's quite a long way to go down before you're in danger territory. I'd think you're probably okay with the meal Rayne ate 2.5 hrs ago. If you're in doubt, maybe a small handful of treats would be a good compromise.

BTW ... Rayne has made a 100% recovery and is very energetic and getting her health back again. Thanks again for all your support and I will keep you updated still.

I'm so thrilled to hear that! There are very few things as rewarding as seeing a loved one regain their health and vigor. :highfive:

TeriM
August 5th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I'm so glad that Rayne is making such a good recovery :thumbs up .

growler~GateKeeper
August 6th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Seviin so glad she's doing good :grouphug:

What did the Vet say when you mentioned the error in the dosage and the amount you are giving her now?

SEVIIN
August 9th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to respond.

Sugarcatmom thanks for the reassurance. I was a little worried about her levels getting too high but she was fine thank god. She just drank a lot of water but she didn't act differently at all which is good. Her levels did end up going down and I made sure she stayed active that night too. I felt a lot better reading your message though.

TeriM - Thank you for your kind thoughts, I'm so happy she's doing better now too. It's a lot less stressful around here and we're accepting this as a way of life now and it's getting so much easier. Well, easier, we still have some adjustments to make to get her fully stabilized but she's made a brilliant recovery and it's getting a lot better.

Growler - Thank you also for your kind thoughts. As for what my vet said. I never even spoke to her personally, every time I call her she is in surgery so the assistant vet told me to hold the line each time I called her so she could ask the vet. Our vet said it's okay that we are giving her less and the reason they were giving her such a high dosage is because Rayne might have been really stressed from not only being there but just being close to death and losing so much energy. But she said she did need that much to come back though because she was getting to the point where she was lifeless, didn't move more than a few steps then lay down again, I had to carry her outside for pee's or she would pee laying down. It was just awful watching her go through it and lose all her weight at the same time :sad:

Like I said though, she's made a 100% recovery and she's very happy now! The support on this website has been incredible too! :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 08:39 PM
SEVIIN I'm so glad she doing better, it will become easier, a way of life so to speak.
I know sometimes their levels are way off @ the Vets as compared to @ home ~ all about stress.
It's also a good idea, if you can, to have a watch w/timer-reminder on it specifically for her dose times

:goodvibes: for more continued success w/the cutie

TeriM
September 6th, 2007, 01:39 AM
any updates on Rayne?

Roscoe's Mom
October 1st, 2007, 07:47 PM
Sugarcatmom sent me a link to your postings. I also have a dog who was very young when diagnosed with diabetes. How are you coming along with everything? It can be overwhelming at first, but don't despair - you will get the hang of it and be an old pro in no time!

Roscoe's Mom