Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

disposal of dog poop

crazyforcats
July 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
I scoop the poop from my yard a number of times a day, and put the poop in a little kitchen-type of garbage can in the yard. The problem is the flies. Even though the garbage can has a lid on it the flies still get in there. There seems to be flies all over my yard now.

Is there anyway I can control the flies? Maybe something I can put on the poop in the garbage can to repell the flies? Thanks.

badger
July 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Do you use a green garbage bag in the can? I use double bags and scrunch them closed when I add anything. Getting the can out of the sun helps, the heat makes it decompose faster - this is my theory anyway - which releases more gas, making it more attractive to flies. I ended up putting mine in a locker on my balcony. No smell - until garbage day :yuck:. - and no flies either.

I tried air freshener blocks but they are no competition. As Paris Hilton says, 'it is what it is', which is the new 'whatever'.

mummummum
July 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Just a thought... all poop is compostable. I personally would use it on non-edible flower beds rather than on my edibles. If you used a well-sealed composter along with a little bit of compost accelerator and veggie scraps etc. you shouldn't have an odour or fly problem and you would have fantastic "black gold" for your garden beds !

Frenchy
July 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
I have the same problem. With 3-4 dogs , coming and going out of the house when they want to , I don't pick up right away. I do it once a day. That gives time for the flies to drop their eggs on the poop. Then it makes small worms once it's in the garbage bag.:yuck: M3X has a good idea , my vet told me to dig a 4 footh whole and drop the poop in there, but I still have to get infos because he did tell me you have to put some products once every week in the whole. :shrug:

What I don't get is I never had that little worms problem before. And I did have my dogs tested 4 times this summer so I know it's not coming from them.

mummummum
July 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Some "bathroom" reading material :laughing:

http://www.plantea.com/dog-waste-compost.htm

http://www.uaf.edu/ces/compost/dogs.html

http://www.cityfarmer.org/petwaste.html

chico2
July 22nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Frenchy,the little worms are maggots:yuck: I get them on my garbagebags in the summer,although they are kept in a closed container and I don't even have dog-poop in there.

Frenchy
July 22nd, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure they're maggots , they start off so tiny , I put the poo in another bag so I don't get any in the regular garbage. I really don't understand why I suddenly have this problem this year , never happened before :confused: :yell:

t.pettet
July 22nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
I also pick-up once a day and have started spraying Zodiac Flea Carpet Spray to coat/cover each day's pick-up. Because my dogs are small I can use the same bag for 3 days before putting it in the garbage can without any flies hanging around.

shannonxj
July 23rd, 2007, 11:36 PM
LOL! That happens to me every time especially when our dog was jsut a puppy. I really hate it when the dog put some land mine inside our house! It irritates me especially in the morning when i wake up.The, I decided t put the dog outside the house at night to avoid the land mines every morning.:laughing:

filox
July 24th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure they're maggots , they start off so tiny , I put the poo in another bag so I don't get any in the regular garbage. I really don't understand why I suddenly have this problem this year , never happened before :confused: :yell:

Global warming... thats why...

new spicies of flys....;)

mummummum
July 24th, 2007, 07:43 PM
LOL! That happens to me every time especially when our dog was jsut a puppy. I really hate it when the dog put some land mine inside our house! It irritates me especially in the morning when i wake up.The, I decided t put the dog outside the house at night to avoid the land mines every morning.:laughing:

:offtopic: but I think properly housetraining your dog might be a better option than forcing him outside all night. :2cents:

Catzig
July 24th, 2007, 08:50 PM
We installed a Doggie Dooley (like a small septic tank) in our back yard and use it for most of the year. For the few months when it gets too cold to use it, it's cold enough that the poop doesn't stink, grow mold or breed bugs in the little can we use until garbage day - every two weeks.

We have an 80 lb GSD and sometimes a foster dog as well, so plenty of poop. After the initial purchase, it costs almost nothing to keep up. The digester powder was about $30 and will last us for several years. We use a bucket or two of water once a week and pretty much ignore it the rest of the time.

If you want more info, try here http://www.doggiedooley.com/

Frenchy
July 24th, 2007, 09:36 PM
If you want more info, try here http://www.doggiedooley.com/

That's looks pretty cool , but a little too expensive for me. Would it be weird to ask for one for x-mas ? :p

Frenchy
July 24th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Global warming... thats why...

new spicies of flys....;)

So now we'll have to get new bugs to get rid of the new flies :laughing:

Catzig
July 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM
That's looks pretty cool , but a little too expensive for me. Would it be weird to ask for one for x-mas ? :p

It was my birthday/anniversary present :laughing: I couldn't have received anything better!

clm
July 25th, 2007, 08:05 AM
We've made a doggie poo composter in the backyard....buried a plastic garbage can in the ground. Drilled holes all around the can sides and bottom (not in the lid), lid is level with the ground. Put the waste in, a small layer of grass clippings or any weeds you've pulled on top every time you put in the dog waste, keep the lid on and no flies.

Cindy