Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bailey loosing his hearing... what now?

erykah1310
July 22nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
I have never dealt with a deaf dog before, perhaps dealt is not the way to put it, however, lets just say, Im very unfamiliar with it.
He can still hear, but not so well. I thought at first he was just starting to ignore us, but when he was sleeping last night, I started saying his name, nothing.. until I was using a definate "outside" voice. At camp last night he followed his nose around a bit and wandered a little away from the camp. Both my parents, me and Guy were walking around calling him... He was at the neighbours in the brush, but didnt return until we set off the truck alarm. He came running and barking at who ever was "stealing" the truck.:shrug:
Poor Ol B.
Now what do I do? I am working on some sign language for him. Obviously, he has to be kept on lead again, full time.:sad:
Does anyone have experience with deaf or dogs with some hearing loss?
I really need some pointers, and tips.
Thanks.

mummummum
July 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Have you see this site ?
http://www.deafdogs.org/training/

Tai (my last dawg) lost her hearing with age as well. At first I was able to clap sharply and she would respond but eventually I found I had to be within her visual range to get her attention ~ I live in a cement structure. You live in a stick-frame house though so you should be able to stamp on the floor as an attention-getter and pair that with training commands. The other thing I found is I had to figure out was where in the range her hearing loss sat ~ High pitched sounds or low-pitched sounds? As her hearing loss allowed her to hear the deeper range, I made sure my voice was "profundo basso" when I spoke with her, that I always faced her when speaking so that the sound did not get lost on soft surfaces or bounce off the hard surfaces and that I spoke extremely clearly/ distinctly and more slowly than nmormal to separate the sounds.

erykah1310
July 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
thanks mumx3
Its so sad to see them losing things with out control over it.
Aging, so sad for all species.

mummummum
July 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM
ya got that right ~ aging is not for the faint of heart (that's why they don't let the youngsters do it ;) ) The other thing I remembered is using lights (on/off) to get her attention and always carrying a lit flashlight at night when we were at the park. Declan seems to be heading in the same direction ~ he keeps losing me in the park, doesn't hear me calling and gets nervous/ panicky until he spies me. :sad:

Hunter's_owner
July 23rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Ohhh Erykah, that is too bad.
Our dog we had while growing up lived to be 15, almost 16 and she became deaf towards the last 5 years or so she was alive.

We used signs a lot, and lights. In the night time we would use a flashlight and blink it a couple of times to let her know to come in.

Good Luck