Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neutering My Gs

heidiho
May 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM
I am gonna get my gs neutered,what if anything besides health wise will this change about him???? I heard it will calm them down,but some people said i should wait til about 18 months/////

cedes
May 10th, 2004, 07:07 PM
some people say they don't mature enough (grow) when they are neutered earlier in life. don't know how true this is, i've always thought neutering earlier is a good thing. Yes in my experience its does calm them a bit.

mona_b
May 10th, 2004, 09:49 PM
PLEASE don't wait till he is 18 months.Some vets neuter as early as 8 weeks....But the majority will do it between 4-6 months of age.

cedes,there is no truth in that....My 2 GDS's were neutered at 6 months..They are a happy healthy 100lbs+..... :D

heidiho
May 11th, 2004, 10:01 AM
That is what i thought also,why wait til 18 months?? I have him scheduled to go in june 8...Thought it would be a good thing for him,help with the attitude while eating i dont know??

Bill & Bob
May 11th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Yup, it could very well help with the agro behaviour around the old food bowl. I got Bob from the SPCA, and he was about a year old and he'd been fixed about three days before I got him. My understanding is that you won't find significant differences right away as the male hormones will take some time to even out in the system. I didn't know Bob before he got the snip, so I couldn't guage the change in behaviour.
Not to put a price on the boys yarbles, but I've also heard it costs more as the dog's weight increases as well. So, the younger the better within reason.

heidiho
May 11th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah,i agree,with the food deal,this might make some people mad,but i will say it anyway,i think i was not giving him enough food,BAD MOM I KNOW,so what i am doing is feeding him more,gonna wait a couple of days and see if that was why he was getting so pissed at me...Hey !! I am a new mom gonna make a few mistakes.....Bye the way when we are in the parking lot i will tell him,Damien find my car and he will go to every car and when he finds mine he jumps up to let me know.I am blown away by how smart he is,had to tell someone my boy is a genius..