Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat loves chocolate

kathryn
July 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM
I know its poisonus to them but I read cats don't even like it anyways, but mine does. Doesn't he know its poisonus? I do not delibertly hand him chocolate, he steals it.I'll be sitting there eating a pastry or some candy nad he will just run up and bite it or start licking the chocolate off it.

is this weird? oh and he's gotten a large bite before and has never gotten sick so thats good... but i don't know why he does it ... he can smell it from a mile away it seems. i'll sit down to eat a tastykake and he will run out of nowhere and just rip it out of my hand and start eating the chocolate off it.

how much is too much? just curious. i guess it depends on the cat though. hes a little boy, maybe 6 pounds. at the most. i wonder why he hasnt gotten sick..

it's maxwell by the way. he likes people food too much =/

mummummum
July 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM
This is a good post... If memory serves choclate is worse for cats than dogs though :yuck:
see dogownersdigest.com for an article on that sounds like it shouldnt be too serious is it was a small amount

How Much Chocolate Is Deadly?
If a 50-pound dog eats a teaspoonful of milk chocolate, it's not going to cause serious problems. However, if that same dog gorges himself on a two-layer chocolate cake, his stomach will feel more than upset and soon it's likely he'll be vomiting or experiencing diarrhea.

To answer the question "How much is too much" is not simple. The health and age of your dog must be considered. Obviously if your dog is aged and not in top shape, his reaction to a plate of chocolate is going to be different from a young healthy dog of the same weight.

Another fact that must be considered is this: Not all chocolate is the same. Some has a small amount of theobromine; another type has a large amount and still another contains an amount that is somewhere in between. The quantity has a relationship with the weight of your dog. Small dogs can be poisoned, it is easy to understand, from smaller amounts of theobromine than large dogs.

Which chocolate is the safest, relatively speaking? White chocolate. It has the least amount of theobromine: 1 mg per ounce. Far on the other side of the spectrum is baking chocolate, which has a huge 450 mg of theobromine per ounce!

Here are a few other chocolates for you to ponder: hot chocolate, 12 mg of theobromine per ounce; milk chocolate, 60 mg/oz; and up there near baking chocolate: semi-sweet chocolate with 260 mg/oz.

You might try using this to remember these chocolates from least to most toxic: What Happy Moose Says

growler~GateKeeper
July 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
kathryn you are not alone Duffy :cat: is a choco-holic even tho she doesn't get any. She too will smell it from across the room & even comes to the sound of the wrapper. She will even try to lick the empty wrapper:rolleyes:. Hard to fend this girl off when chocolate is around!

Frenchy
July 21st, 2007, 11:13 PM
Doesn't he know its poisonus?


:confused: Cats can't read about it :D

I would hide the chocolate if I was you.

ChancesMom
July 22nd, 2007, 02:44 AM
I think that cats can have carob. If you want to treat her, you could look into this for her.

Take care.
:pawprint:

kathryn
July 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
Ohh okay. Well I figured cats would know what they can and can not eat.. but I guess now :P

I hide it good in the cabinets but he knows how to open the cabinets anyways but everything is sealed up good or on the counter where he can not get it. He still smells it though and always wants chocolate.. its annoying when someone is eating chocolate ice cream he will attack you untill you are done then will steal the bowl from you and lick all the sides clean.

Lukka'sma
July 22nd, 2007, 08:48 AM
Ohh okay. Well I figured cats would know what they can and can not eat.. but I guess now :P

My hubby is always telling me that animals know what they can eat and what not to eat. What a load of crap that is. If they were that smart about it not one dog or cat would go near antifreeze and rat poison would have no effect because it would never be consumed.

kathryn
July 22nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Maybe its just out in the wild..

I was eating a tastykake ealier and was trying to keep it away from maxwell and he actually stuck his tounge in my mouth and stole the chocolate right out of my mouth when I was chewing!

He's insane!

krdahmer
July 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Kitties can be very persistant when it comes to food they like.... even if its bad for them. Palomine will sit there all sweet like,waiting for a scrap then suddenly he gets tired of waiting and slaps it outta your hands!:eek:
And my Windy is such a mommy's girl she loves cookies and cakes etc... always trying to lick what I'm eating (of course they are also bad for me so maybe i should just not have them altogether!).:rolleyes:

mummummum
July 22nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
... of course they are also bad for me so maybe i should just not have them altogether!).:rolleyes:

I'm glad you said IT ! :laughing: :laughing: