Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tapeworm?

montana7103
July 21st, 2007, 06:16 PM
I have a kitten that I found and she can't be but a few months old. I took her to the vet because it looked like she had an infection in her eyes. they told me that she had a respiratory infection that was never treated and it spread to her eyes.. anyways, she is now blind but these last 2 days, she has been vomiting and has had diarrea, and just a few minute ago, she used the bathroom and a very long skinny worm came out. It was about 5-6 inches long. Is there anything that I can do for her until I can get her to the vet on Monday?

luckypenny
July 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM
This sounds like roundworm. Her blindness could be caused by an infestation of her intestines. Please take her to an emergency vet and get the proper treatment as soon as possible. The quicker you act, the better. Our dog Lucky was blind as a result of intestinal parasites when we adopted him. 3 vets later and he was properly diagnosed and treated and shortly thereafter, his vision returned. Good luck and please keep us posted :fingerscr.

badger
July 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM
She's loaded with hookworms; that would also be the reason for her diarrhea and vomiting (you may also see her vomit worms). She's probably got a nasty stomach ache.
Poor little sweetheart.
With a kitten this small, with a threadbare immune system, I would be looking for an emergency vet right now. The vomiting will have dehydrated and weakened her and she could die within a few hours.
The medicine works well but only the vet can prescribe it. Do NOT use any OTC 'drugs' - they don't work and may kill her.
Please don't give up on her now.

rainbow
July 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
I agree and time is crucial so hope you are taking her to an emergency vet now. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

kiara
July 21st, 2007, 10:37 PM
If you already have another cat, I would wash my hands well after touching it because you can transfer diseases. (It is likely tapeworm). In the meantime you can phone your vet and ask for advice. I am a bit off the subject here!!! It is unlikely ringworm, because ringworm is not a "worm", but a fungus found in the earth and is only external. And manifests itself in a ring shape with missing hair and is found on the fur, not inside the body. It is highly contagious to humans. It takes 3 months to get rid of it!! Your vet uses ultraviolet light to diagnose it. Good luck with your cat!!

luckypenny
July 21st, 2007, 10:56 PM
It is unlikely ringworm, because ringworm is not a "worm", but a fungus found in the earth and is only external. And manifests itself in a ring shape with missing hair and is found on the fur, not inside the body.

You're right, I've already edited my post. I had it mistaken with roundworm which is what Penny had at one point when we brought her home. She had vomited some up and some were found in her stool. It was sort of a transparent white with a brown line down the interior center :yuck: . Lucky had had 3 different intestinal parasites. Either way, with any type, the animal can quickly become malnourished and a host of other problems can occur. And yes, it's easily transferred to other pets as well as humans if one doesn't wash carefully.

growler~GateKeeper
July 22nd, 2007, 01:57 AM
It is likely tapeworm.

It's most likely roundworms possibly hookworms though they are not very common in cats, tapeworms are segmented & fall out as small rice sized "pieces"

Take her to an Emergency Vet, Monday is not soon enough. Time is crucial in getting this kitty to the vet for treatment, the longer the little one has these the sicker she will get - they also feed off of the food she is getting, so her nutrional intake is very small if she is getting any at all Hookworms are also bloodsuckers. Because the round & hookworms can cause intestinal blockage if the infestation is large or depending on the size of the animal it could kill them if left untreated.

Cleaning is essential because they do lay eggs in large numbers (1 female hookworms can lay 30,000 eggs per day) & the kitten can be re-infested by eggs left in the litterbox/floor/carpet/blankets/her fur etc

Good luck with your girl, please update us as to how she's doing:)
:goodvibes: :fingerscr

montana7103
July 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
I took her to the doctor and they took a stool sample and said that it came back clean (even tho I know that I watched her poop it out and it was moving!) anyways, they gave her a deworming medicine and now she is eating and drinking and as playful as ever! I'm so glad, she really had me worried! Thanks every1 for the great advice.

rainbow
July 24th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Worms don't always show up in every stool sample so glad they dewormed her anyway. How is her respiratory infection/blindness?

montana7103
July 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Her respiratory illness is gone. I was giving her antibiotics for a few weeks and they said that she was all better. She is still blind, the doctor said that she won't get her eyesight back, but she is happy and learning new stuff everyday.. She is back to her normal self (running into walls!:p and as playful as ever!)