Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fallen out of love with my Littermaid, any good litter recs?

ancientgirl
July 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
When I first got my Litter Maid, I loved it. It was nice not having to deal with emptying the litter box daily. Unfortunately, after a few days the truth came out. This while does take away a good 75% of the work, is not perfect.

The rake gets stuck if you fill it with too much litter, but not enough litter will leave clumps stuck in the bottom. I don't know about you guys, but I've got a major league digger on my hands.

Vlad thinks he must be digging to China or something, whereas Oksana, just barlely gets her little paws dirty.

The poop is broken up half the time, and so are some of the clumps. So you have to scoop out bits of clump all the time.

So I'm switching back to regular litter. Which means that while I"m at work and while we sleep, litter will have STUFF in it until I dig it out.

Right now I'm using Fresh Step for mulitple cats, which seems to work well, but I don't know how well with fermenting stuff in it all day.

I read about something called Swheat Scoop, which seem to have good reviews. Has anyone ever used this? Also, I see a lot of ads for Feline Pine. Has anyone here used any of these?

Any recommendations?

Ideally that Cat Genie looks great, and I'd love to try it, but I don't have $600 to buy two of those, because that's what I'd need.

rainbow
July 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM
Maybe these posts will help:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36859&highlight=cat+litter

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34027&highlight=cat+litter

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31151&highlight=cat+litter

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28776&highlight=cat+litter

ancientgirl
July 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks! I'll read through those. I need something different, and if I'm having to scoop litter anyway, why bother using a litter maid?

rainbow
July 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah....I'd sooner have a maid that would scoop the litter. :D

Dracko
July 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Years ago I had a LitterMaid with plastic type rake prongs. It worked really really well for a number of years. With 3 cats it got a workout. I updated it to a newer model when I moved and the new ones have metal type prongs. SUCKS. As you said, if you don't put enough litter it gets stuck on the bottom and too much jams it up. I hated it. The prongs seemed to just break the poop up in to tiny bits it woudn't scoop.

I am back to doing it myself each day but would love something that would work like my first LitterMaid so the cats wouldn't have to step in anything when they go.

I tried those white crystals for a while and they were horrible. Also tried the expensive stuff that they recommend for the LitterMaids and the stink was terrible right away. Smelled like peed on saw dust.

growler~GateKeeper
July 22nd, 2007, 12:51 AM
Never used a littermaid cuz I had heard the not so good reviews.

Years ago I tried the white crystals because it not supposed to spread everywhere but I didn't like the idea that the stuff soaks in #1 & it stays there plus some of it is a bit sharp/rough on their paws. Duffy wouldn't use it either.

Last year I tried Duffy on the Swheat Scoop because it's supposed to be enviro friendly & flushable but she wouldn't use it. She sat outside the box meowing & would only go in with lots of encouragement & with me sitting right beside the box. Plus the guy @ the store told me some cats will EAT :eek: :yuck: the litter because it is wheat (food source) based:eek: :yuck:

Based on her reaction to the Swheat Scoop & crystal stuff I don't think this picky girl :cat: will want any other type in her box so I'm stickin' w/Johnny Cat Clumping Clay Litter & Baking Soda to kill any left over odours. I scoop after everytime she goes, & she usually only goes once occasionally twice while I'm @ work.
The problem I have w/clay litter is it tracks everywhere!:frustrated:

ancientgirl
July 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
I haven't tried Johnny cat, I'll have to look for it. I'm going to try just what I use now, with some baking soda, along with a regular litter box, for a while and see if it works. I've got to scoop anyway, even though I've got the litter maid, so may as well just use a regular box. At least with a regular box I can fill it up its not so easy for Vlad to dig down to the very bottom, which is where one of my problems lie with the litter maid.

NoahGrey
July 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
I don't mean to be rude, but it takes 2 mins to clean a litter box.

One of my friends had a self cleaning litter machine. (sorry don't know the name of it) I believe she got it at petsmart. She found it to noisy and the cats were afraid of it.

She spent like $70 on it. She has 2 cats. I told her the same thing. It takes what a total of 2 mins to clean the cat litter...just scoop it yourself.

I don't understand why people would pay more money, when they can just so it themselves.

Having cat(s) and changing the litter daily, comes with having a cat.

But, this is just my opinion.

ACO22

ancientgirl
July 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
I have a self cleaning box, because I would rather have it cleaned as soon as its used than to have it sit there all day with dirty litter, where my cats can step on it and track it all over the house.

Vlad plays in his litter, its something he's done since he was a kitten. He, for some strange reason, also likes to lie in it. So I thought by buying a Litter Maid it would at least keep the box clean throughout the day while I'm at work, and at night while I'm sleeping.

As it is, it doesn't do what it's supposed to and makes the litter even worse by breaking their waste into small clumps that are bypassed by the rake, which are harder to sift out.

So, just in case you were wondering, I got them the Litter Maid for their benefit, so they could use clean litter, not because I didn't want to spend 2 minutes to clean it. It's pretty hard for me to do that when I'm gone for 8 hours a day.

NoahGrey
July 22nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
I agree, you made some good points. No hard feelings.

ACO22

ancientgirl
July 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
None taken. I just wanted you to know, some people don't do it out of their own convenience. I don't care about scooping litter. Ideally I'd love to get them a cat genie, which looks more hygienic than anything else out there. I hate thinking they're stepping in clumped up pee or poop all day, but the cat genie is way out of my price range.

krdahmer
July 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
I use Sswheat and it is great. I have 6 poopers, only scoop it once a day and all of my guests compliment me and say they could never tell I had 6 cats. I have 2 big rubbermaid boxes and two covered boxes and I use 3 40lb bags to fill them, it lasts 2.5-3 Months! months!! The clay stuff started to stink after a week or less! And I have never had a cat eat it, although it is safer for them when they do (it gets ingested when they clean their rear end or feet). I find it alright to scoop, of course I also invested in a large metal scooper. I would highly recommend it and I've also heard good things about pine, I however am allergic to pine so can't try it myself. Corn litter also worked well but Fagan turned out to be allergic to it.:)

ancientgirl
July 22nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the recommendation! I've been thinking about using this, because I've noticed now and then, Vlad chomping on something near the litter box. Oksana doesn't lie in it or eat it, but for some reason Vlad is a typical little boy, who likes to get dirty LOL.

I'm going to definitely try this. If it works with you and you have 6, it should be no problem for my 2.

growler~GateKeeper
July 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
I use Sswheat and it is great. And I have never had a cat eat it, although it is safer for them when they do (it gets ingested when they clean their rear end or feet). :)

krdahmer lucky you they will use it, when I tried it, Duffy did lick a wee bit from the box, but still wouldn't use it:rolleyes:

As for the clay remaining on feet after coming from the box - most of the time she scratches the cardboard scratchy-box after she goes or she manages to dislodge any bits on the carpet long before she feels the need to clean her feet. Sometimes I wonder if she wipes her feet on the carpet when I'm not looking:rolleyes: She's also short-haired & keeps her behind & tail well above the litter when she's in the box so I've never seen anything stay there.

AncientGirl hope the Swheat scoop works for you - sounds like it may be a better solution for your "typical little boy"

Wishing my old girl would accept something more eco-friendly - but that's not likely:frustrated:

ancientgirl
July 23rd, 2007, 09:52 AM
I hope they take to it also. I don't like the thought of either one of them snacking on litter! At least this stuff is natural and won't hurt them if they do eat it. I'm going to get some this week, and start to transition them before I move into the new place.

Dracko
July 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but it takes 2 mins to clean a litter box.

One of my friends had a self cleaning litter machine. (sorry don't know the name of it) I believe she got it at petsmart. She found it to noisy and the cats were afraid of it.

She spent like $70 on it. She has 2 cats. I told her the same thing. It takes what a total of 2 mins to clean the cat litter...just scoop it yourself.

I don't understand why people would pay more money, when they can just so it themselves.

Having cat(s) and changing the litter daily, comes with having a cat.

But, this is just my opinion.

ACO22

For me getting one was cuz I have 3 cats and travel a lot for work. My nephews lived with me but I couldn't count on them scooping all the time. Plus if I wasn't away overnight I was often away for 8 - 12 hours in a day. It was reassuring knowing that they weren't walking in poop each time they had to go.

ancientgirl
July 23rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
For me getting one was cuz I have 3 cats and travel a lot for work. My nephews lived with me but I couldn't count on them scooping all the time. Plus if I wasn't away overnight I was often away for 8 - 12 hours in a day. It was reassuring knowing that they weren't walking in poop each time they had to go.

That also was my reason for getting the Litter Maid. But it seems more trouble than its worth, and honestly, doesn't clean the litter up that great. I'm going to look for a nice big box, that's deep, so The Dynamic Duo, 1. have plenty of room to move around in, and 2, have enough litter so that when they dig they don't reach the bottom so easily.

I hate the thought of them stepping in poop too, but I've noticed that the Litter Maid sometimes leaves their poop behind, and doesn't even get the clumps stuck on the bottom.

krdahmer
July 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Man if I had the money, ech one of my babies would have a self cleaning box... and ya it's cause I'm lazy, oh ya and I don't like poop!:laughing:

Each night it takes me 20min to 1/2 hr to clean the boxes out. (Longer if someone missed the box!:rolleyes: ) I envy you 2 minute scoopers....;)

ancientgirl
July 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
I'm waiting for that cat genie to go down in price a bit. I'd love to try that.

heather17021977
July 25th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Ancient Girl,

Our kittens use the Sweat Scoop and it's great. We have 2 litterboxes for 3 kittens and we only scoop once or twice a day and it doesnt hardly stink at all. Only when it's been a couple of weeks and it's time to completely change it. We don't flush however, we still scoop into a bag for the garbage. I don't trust that it won't eventually clog the pipes.

Our kittens have never eaten it. It doesnt clump that well for urine but it definitely scoop-able once it dries. It's also a little more expensive but well worth it. I hate pine smells and this is smell-free :)

ancientgirl
July 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Ancient Girl,

Our kittens use the Sweat Scoop and it's great. We have 2 litterboxes for 3 kittens and we only scoop once or twice a day and it doesnt hardly stink at all. Only when it's been a couple of weeks and it's time to completely change it. We don't flush however, we still scoop into a bag for the garbage. I don't trust that it won't eventually clog the pipes.

Our kittens have never eaten it. It doesnt clump that well for urine but it definitely scoop-able once it dries. It's also a little more expensive but well worth it. I hate pine smells and this is smell-free :)

I wouldn't trust flushing the stuff either. I was thinking of just getting a little garbage pale with a top, just for their "stuff." It's good to hear it doesn't smell though. I plan on having two boxes, one in my upstairs bathroom, and one downstairs. And the downstairs bathroom is right near the door, so I don't want that to be the first thing people smell when they come in.