Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dutch Ovens

want4rain
July 21st, 2007, 12:47 PM
so im not a bit kitchen person. whats the deal with the different numbers on dutch ovens?? it seems to span brands? why are vintage ones so inexpensive? whats a self basting? griswold a good thing? how wrong can a dutch oven get if you buy inexpensive?

(im shopping for a stinkin dutch oven *sigh*.... anyone else ask questions about unimportant things like that??)

-ashley

rainbow
July 21st, 2007, 05:28 PM
I didn't know there were so many types of Dutch Ovens. :o I only use the one that came with my cheapo pots and pans set to make soup or pasta. :laughing:

want4rain
July 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM
thats what im saying but i picked up the Better Homes and Gardens cook book and they said i need a stinkin Dutch Oven so im on the shop for a Dutch Oven. i wanna make chicken and dumplings. *sigh*

-ash

joeysmama
July 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Mine is Calphalon and I love it !! I use it ALL THE TIME.

You could go into Willimas Sonoma, tell them how much you want to spend and ask them to show you a few different brands. That's where I got my set. But I've seen them at Linens and Things also I think. And I'm sure major department stores like Macy's probably carry them.

I've had mine for 16 years and I don't know what they cost back then, or what they cost now. But I do love cooking in Calphalon and wouldn't mind a second set.

Lukka'sma
July 22nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Maybe a cooking forum would answer all your questions. Try this one, I am a member and I love this site
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f37/pull-apart-roast-36671.html

want4rain
July 22nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA a cooking site would kick me out. my oven would secretly get on there and tell them all of the terrible noxious things i put in it!!!!

a 6qt dutch oven at William Sonoma is damaging around $300 (YOWZA!!)

in all seriousness.... i will probably join a cooking forum if only for just my cooking questions. :) *sigh* i just dont want ANOTHER forum to keep up with!!

THANKS!

-ash

joeysmama
July 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
What questions do you have? I'm a fairly decent cook and can give you some easy, foolproof, recipes if you want. My boss has included some of my recipes in her cookbooks so I promise I won't steer you wrong. You want casseroles, pasta, meat dishes, desserts? Hors doeuvres?

I love to share !!!:goodvibes:

rainbow
July 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
thats what im saying but i picked up the Better Homes and Gardens cook book and they said i need a stinkin Dutch Oven so im on the shop for a Dutch Oven. i wanna make chicken and dumplings. *sigh*

-ash

If you're only going to make chicken and dumplings all you need is a cheapo one or a big soup pot or stock pot IMO. :shrug:

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
rainbow.... who the heck knows where my cooking adventures will take me. :) im hoping to get a little better at this. i was sooooooo excited to make peanut butter cookies a few days ago. :rolleyes:

joeysmama, i would *love* recipes!! do you want to email them to me? or post them on here??

-ashley

Hunter's_owner
July 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Oh Joeysmama...I would love for you to post them:o
I am trying to become a better cook, and would love some recipes:highfive:

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
I am trying to become a better cook, and would love some recipes:highfive:

well dont touch me, come near me or associate with me in any way. i make other folks bad cooks by PROXIMITY! :laughing:

BTW Hunter's Owner- your quote made me cry. it sure is the best deal we ever made. too bad they didnt ask for a guarantee.

-ashley

Kristin7
July 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
You might try one of the cast iron Dutch ovens made by Lodge:
http://www.lodgemfg.com/ They make them pre-seasoned which is definitely a plus (the Pro-Logic series) and you can get the 5 qt for $60 or the 7 qt for $75 off their website. Probably could find it cheaper elsewhere but this is still not bad esp when compared to the one you describe for $300.

I am not sure what you mean about the numbers, but these cast iron ones are great, I have a skillet of theirs and love it. The iron heats up nicely, stays hot with even heat, and also gives you some extra iron in your diet. Minuses: you're not supposed to make a lot of highly acidic foods in them (like dishes made with tomatoes for instance), but chicken and dumplings would be no problem. Oh, they are also quite heavy! And they can rust if stored wet. I haven't had any problem w/ my skillet, but did w/ a Dutch oven I used for camping (my own fault, as I didn't clean it right away). Good luck!

Also, as mentioned above, if you have a good stockpot, you can probably use that for many dutch oven recipes (i do).

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
as a woman, i can always use more iron.

do i need a big one and a little one or will a 7qt do fine??

-ashley

jesse's mommy
July 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
I consider myself a pretty good cook, but I seem to need some help here. Isn't a dutch oven just a big pot with a lid or is it something different? I'm a bit confused now. :shrug:

Kristin7
July 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure. If there is a store near you that carries these, you could go look and see how big they are. My stockpot is pretty big, probably more than 7 qt, and it seems fine for most everything. If you have a family, bigger is probably better, though keep in mind it'll also be heavier.

Yup, it is a big pot with a lid. If it is a stockpot, generally it is not as heavy duty as the dutch oven, and probably can't go in the oven as well as on top, like a dutch oven can. They pretty much look the same though. Maybe the lid has a different shape? Do dutch ovens have an inverted lid so that moisture will drip back into the pot (vs evaporate out the crack)? I am no expert...

jesse's mommy
July 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks Kristin. I appreciate that. Then yes, I do have one of these. It came with my Caphalon set and can go in the oven. :highfive:

And yes, joeysmama, you need to post some recipes.

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
im not sure. i think thats called a self basting dutch oven. (maybe im a little obsessive??)

from what i gather, the seal between the pot and the lid is suppose to be very tight where a stock pot its less important if a bit of moisture escapes.

-ashley

Kristin7
July 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven

More than you may want to know about Dutch ovens... apparently the tight seal is important!

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 08:52 PM
*scoffs* now what kind of dork am i?? why didnt i look at Wiki??

somebody smack me.

-ashley

Frenchy
July 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
So they're pots ? I tought it was a kind / brand of oven :laughing:

Stacer
July 23rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
I saw the title Dutch Ovens and immediately thought of the bedtime manouevre of farting under the covers then pulling them up over your partner's head and trapping them under there - classic dutch oven.

But I see that you're talking about cooking:frown: and I'm no good at that. I can't help you out, unless you want some techniques for ambushing your partner.:D

Frenchy
July 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
:eek: Stacer !!!! :laughing:

wdawson
July 23rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i thought the same thing stacer:laughing:

Stacer
July 23rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
It's too bad that's not what it's about, the discussion could be much funnier.

:offtopic: ahem...now back to pots and pans

joeysmama
July 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Yay !!! I love to share recipes. :thumbs up

I'll give you a couple really simple ones right now. How about champagne chicken, sauteed asparagus and stuffed oranges? These are really easy, you don't have to measure anything and people are impressed and think you're a gourmet.

CHAMPAGNE CHICKEN

For the chicken you just lay out boneless skinless breasts. I put a stick of butter on a small plate and throw out what I don't use (cross contamination)

You want to put a few small pats of butter on the chicken. (maybe about two teaspoons) Then sprinkle a heaping Tablespoon of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs over top and roll it up from the short end. I make one for each person. Place them seam side down in a 9 x 11 pan. Then pour a cup of champagne over the chicken. then add a pat of butter on top of each and sprinkle with more breadcrumbs.

Bake at 350 for about a half hour, depending on how thick the chicken breasts are. (less time if you use the extra thin ones--I've don't think you would want to use them for this recipe anyway)

SAUTEED ASPARAGUS

Wash fresh asparagus, trim the ends of the stalks and chop in two inch pieces. Heat a sautee pan and when hot add a Tablespoon of olive oil. As soon as the olive oil is hot add a clove of chopped garlic. Watch it very carefully and when it just begins to cook add the asparagus and stir for about 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is tender. (If it looks as though the garlic is going to cook too much or turn brown just take it out of the pan) Sprinkle with sea salt and a few splashes of balsamic vinegar (the vinegar is optional)

STUFFED ORANGES (I love these !)

Take a few naval oranges and slice off the "navels". Take off about a half dollar size slice. Then scoop the orange out of them. (you can save it for juicing if you want) Then add about a third of a cup of orange sherbert to each one, and then a couple Tablespoons of raspberry sauce and put them in the freezer for a half hour (in a casserole or some kind of sided dish to keep them upright)

Then spoon orange sherbert almost to the top but leave enough room for more sauce to come to the top of the orange.

Back in the freezer until you want to serve them.

Right before you serve them put them on a cutting board and slice through them with a large knife. The kind you would use to slice a watermellon. You want to cut from top to bottom so that when you open them up the sherbert and the sauce make stripes.

RASPBERRY SAUCE

1 bag of frozen raspberries, thawed and mashed with a hand masher.
4 Tablespoons of sugar (more or less--depending on how sweet you like it)
2 Tablspoons of Gran MArnier or other orange flavored liquer (more or less depending on how much "kick" you like---I use more;) )

Stir together in a small pot until the sugar melts. Let cool before making the stuffed oranges.

I just told these--I didn't really lay them out like a recipe with ingredients and all. I can do that if you want. Let me know.

Oh here's one more.

SUPER EASY PB COOKIES

1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup peanut butter

Mix all ingredients together with a fork and drop by Tablespoons on cookie sheet. Flatten a smitch with a fork (they're very sticky- just do the best you can) Bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes. They're kind of crumbly if you don't get them off the cookie sheet right away. And they don't make a big batch but you can be eating them 10 minutes after you decided to make them and there's almost no clean up. One bowl, one fork, one cookie sheet.

joeysmama
July 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
LOL Stacer !! I never heard it called that--and I grew up with all brothers. Gassy brothers !! But I can tell you the my son's room is a "Dutch Oven" most mornings !!:yuck:

want4rain
July 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM
I saw the title Dutch Ovens and immediately thought of the bedtime manouevre of farting under the covers then pulling them up over your partner's head and trapping them under there - classic dutch oven.

But I see that you're talking about cooking:frown: and I'm no good at that. I can't help you out, unless you want some techniques for ambushing your partner.:D

right now i know soem of THOSE recipes!! first ya get pregnant, then ya eat horrible horse pills for a few weeks.... then live off of apple sauce and cheerios for about 5 days... THEN you let them simmer over night. then you crack the lid to let out a bit of steam. dont forget to close it quickly!!! preferably over a head.

joeysmama those are getting printed out tomorrow to go into my cook book. i just might try those cookies after i do my moms sugar cookies with cream cheese frosting. she doesnt believe trans fat is bad for you. i told her "ma, lemme cook some stupid cookies for you. mine will taste better anyway... and dont take any to work!!"
half of my complaint with PB cookies is they dont taste PB-ie enough for me!! betcha those are pretty PB-ie!!

and those stuffed oranges sound fantastic!! im a big citrus person.

-ash

glasslass
August 6th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I used a cast-iron dutch oven for years and, yes, it was self-basting. When I moved though, I got an electric stove with a glass top. I can no longer use the cast-iron for fear of scratching it. My brother was happy to inherit it as he has an appreciation for cast-iron. The self basting is a result of the pattern of ridges cast into the bottom of the lid. The steam condenses against the top and, instead of running back down the sides of the lid, they drip back down over the meat. The thickness of the oven retains the heat and cooks evenly without scorching. When camping, you can set the pot right into the coals, literally becoming an "oven"