Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

losing balance

Maria S
July 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Hello

My 19 year old female cat is having some difficulty. Last Saturday evening, I heard an odd sound- like my ironing board tipping over- and went to the front room only to find Danna on the floor, head bobbing back and forth and having trouble standing up. It reminded me of when she had come out of anasthetic in the past. It took about 5 minutes for her to find her legs and move to a new location , where she laid down.

I monitored her for the remainder of the evening and through the night. On Sunday morning, I opened the blind and watched to see her eyes react and they did. She is eating and drinking and enjoying her normal fare.

Her problem is that she is unstable in her hind quarters. I have seen older cats lose the use of their bacl legs as their kidneys begin to fail, however my daily checks of the litter confirm that she is going daily. She also poops.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions?

Maria S.

sugarcatmom
July 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Sounds like she might be due for a check-up. When was her last senior blood panel and urinalysis done? At her age, she should be going at least yearly, if not twice a year. It could be something as basic as arthritis in her hips that's causing the instability, but it would be a very good idea to have it checked out at this point. Give us an update when you have more info.

rainbow
July 20th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I agree......she definitely needs to see a vet asap. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: