Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sore ear (not an ear infection)

skeetsh00ter
July 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
So Zoey has had a sore ear for the past 4 or 5 days. By sore i mean when i try and pet/touch/pull on her rt. ear she whimpers.

I took her to the vet today b/c i though for sure that it was going to be an ear infection. Wrong.

He said that apart from being a little dry her ear looked fine. He couldn't even get her to whimper we he played w/ her ear. I thought "thats great" maybe it just got better or something.

Well we got home and just got back from a run and now it's hurting her again. Not only is her ear hurting, but she just did something that really freaked me out. She was just standing beside me, then her right leg started shaking/quivering and then the others started shaking a little too and she had trouble walking for about 15 seconds. We live in GA, so it's fairly hot and humid and she hadn't eaten since breakfast almost 10 hours before so i thought that maybe she was just tired. I offered her food and she ate it all and now she seems fine.

So I don't know if the leg shaking is a fluke or not? Anyone know of how these two things could be related? Any ideas on just the ear?

Thanks everyone!

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Some dogs are quite stoic at the vet--so it may well be that she displays pain at home, but won't admit to it at the vet. Very frustrating! :rolleyes:

Can you feel any swelling in the flap? She may be developing a hematoma which is essentially fluids collecting between the two layers of skin in the flap. In its early stages, this can be very difficult to detect by touch unless you're looking for it. If you start to feel swelling, contact your vet again.

As for the trembling, it might be something you want to mention to your vet. We had a dog that had a grand mal seizure due to low blood glucose levels--it had been a long time since he ate, and since he was having fun running he didn't want to take any treats. His blood sugar levels plummeted and he had the seizure. The good news is he never had another one--we always made sure he stopped and had something small to nibble on if he was expending a lot of energy. This might have been the sort of thing your dog was experiencing, only not quite as severe.

Regardless, I'd at least mention it to the vet and certainly, if it recurs, I'd have her in for some bloodwork and another once-over.

I hope she's better soon :fingerscr

Dr Lee
July 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
There could be a lot of reasons for the discomfort of the ear. Bug bite may be an easy answer as why there may be some pain of the ear. Occasioinally early ear infections may be painful but difficult to detect. Middle ear infections are less likely than external ear infections but could be a cause. It could even be referred dental or neck pain.

If the signs continue I would continue to pursue it with your veterinarian. Good luck:pawprint: