Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need info!

Hellblazer
May 10th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Hum i dont know if any of this ever happened to you but all my female cat that i have had always came to get me before giving birth. And when I ever toucht the baby they always started to purr. No fuss or anything never on the protected side. Is this normal?

Also my big male cat is strange. He is from the first litter from my old cat called Misty. ADn when she had her secound litters she became to aggresive toward him (way after the second litter like 6 months) so i had to have her put to rest as she even attacked me. But the odd thing is that SIberian ( the male i'm talking about) always came around her while and after she was giving bitrh. Heping her wash the kittens and cleaning the mother too. Now that the present female i have is starting her labour Siberian is still coming from time to time cheking her out and cleaning her and she never tried to stop him or enver hiss at him while she was in labour or right after she was done she always pured when me or Siberian petted her and the new born babies. IS this even close to be normal?

Also i think he is kind of messed up hes always trying to "put" my other male cat lol. What can i do beside giving the other male cat away, to make him stop( and beside neutruring him)?

Bill & Bob
May 10th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Why wouldn't you neuter him?

And by the way, if you thought it was bad when your cat attacked you....

Hellblazer
May 10th, 2004, 02:42 PM
because the only male i had neutured changed. He kept to himself never wanted to be approch while before i had him neutured he was quite the oposite. And yes i found it strange for her to attack me when she never did it before. Keep in mind that i'm talking about the attack 6 month after her last litter. She used to be quite docile even with my 1 years old nefew that kept trying to pet and take her up.

Spoiled
May 10th, 2004, 06:39 PM
There is no tempermant change between neutered and unutered cats. We had one neutered (of course) and he was even more affectionate than before. The world is full of cats. We don't need more to be put in the shelters. Are you neutering the kittens that your cats have? Why would you want to make more kittens in this already overpopulated world? :confused:

Lucky Rescue
May 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Please do the responsible thing and have your cats spayed and neutered.

One unspayed female cat, her mate and all their offspings, producing 2 litters per year, with an average of 2.8 surviving kittens per litter can total:

12 cats after 1 year

67 cats after 2 years

376 cats after 3 years

2,107 cats after 4 years

11,801 cats after 5 years

66,088 cats after 6 years

370,092 cats after 7 years

2,072,514 cats after 8 years

Bill & Bob
May 10th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Oh my god it's getting exponential! I knew it. Cats are going to take over the world. Little buggers. I can just picture us dog people and our pets being enslaved like Planet of the Apes! I can just see Charlton Heston saying "Get your hands off me you filthy cat!"
Not to make light of the issue, I just thought the numbers were funny. I wonder if the first two cats have problems buying presents for the grandkids at Christmas. We humans have it easy from the looks of things.
But yeah, get the little fellas fixed.

Karin
May 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM
I have posted before about the spay/neuter programs in my area. I know the same programs are in place all over the country.
The feral cat population growth in the Orlando, Fl area has become such a nusience that the city has begun a mass round-up/euthanasia program . Of course this does not go without protest, but no one stood up to take responsibilty for the thousands + homeless cats that are, (for the most part), testing positive for FELV & FIV. The only way to stop the spread of these nasty diseases is to do just what Orlando is doing sad to say.
And for all others to do the responsible thing and spay/neuter their own.
I cannot stress this enough, if you love 'em, spay/neuter 'em...this makes a healthier, happier roommate.

Hellblazer
May 10th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Well the only male i had neutur completly changed. And beside most of the kittens i have I donat to the local pet shop. We dont have much of a cat problem here in montreal. I guess thats because right from the start our Spca (canadian animal protction services) started the euthenesia program for the cast they couldnt give away after one year. As for neuturing the kitten i leave it to the pet shop or the future owner to decide if they want to do it or not.

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Well the only male i had neutur completly changed. And beside most of the kittens i have I donat to the local pet shop. We dont have much of a cat problem here in montreal. I guess thats because right from the start our Spca (canadian animal protction services) started the euthenesia program for the cast they couldnt give away after one year. As for neuturing the kitten i leave it to the pet shop or the future owner to decide if they want to do it or not.

We don't have much of a cat problem in Montreal? OH MY GOD! The SPCA euths them after one year??? Where did you get this information please?

How about 3 days? Wrong wrong wrong. HUGE numbers of cats are killed in shelters and die outside every year. Why?? Because people are too irresponsible to get them spayed and neutered. That is the ONLY reason. Peolple just like you.

Do you have any idea how these kittens might end up when they are sold to anyone who has a few dollars, in a pet shop? Do you know how many will end up dead in the shelter, or wandering the streets, starving, injured and having litter after litter in the winter and freezing? You are responsible for every kitten you breed.

Why do you have cats if you care so little about what happens to them? PLEASE do not add the problem. Since you are breeding cats, you really need to learn some facts, and get your cats fixed.:(

kasher+tazz
May 11th, 2004, 03:03 AM
I usually stay quiet on these issues - just read them through and shake my head but for god sake what is going on!

Why breed youre cat to give them away - and as you say be the responsibility of others. If i ever let one of my animals have babies - (which i wouldnt as they have all been fixed at the youngest age possible) I would want to know exactly who they were going to - have a gaurantee they would be fixed too and have the ability to say if there is ever the need for the animal to be rehomed - it should come straight back to me. Why have kittens because they are cute for the short time they are with you - just to forget the responsibility you have for them as soon as they are out of youre door.

You breed the cats therefore they are youre responsibilty - how many of youre kittens have ended up in shelters?

this is just really sad

chico2
May 11th, 2004, 07:10 AM
OMG,I was stunned reading Hellblazers post :eek:
Do you not read the newspapers? Montreal has THE worst overpopulation of unwanted cats,healthy beautiful cats are killed every day,hence rescuers like Lucky and others in the Montreal area.The Montreal SPCA is a killing-machine and I suspect many of your kittens will have a very short life-span.
I do not usually get upset about much,but this kind of total disregard for animal-wellfare really gets to me.
You give your kittens to pet-shops,you might as well euthanize them as they are being born!!
I was looking for the article written about the Montreal SPCA,but cannot find it,it would turn any animal-lovers stommache to read how many animals are killed every day and also ending up in a lab,to spend the rest of their days in unspeakable conditions.
So,Hellblazer,if you love cats,spay and neuter them,stop breeding and filling the pet-shops,your are obviously not a registered breeder and you are doing nothing to help the problem for thousands of unwanted cats in Montreal.

chico2
May 11th, 2004, 08:09 AM
A little true story about a Pet-Shop"breeder".
Down the street from me lived a woman with 3 kids,to add to her wellfare-check,she bred cats for the pet-shop.Her cats were roaming the neighbor-hood in terrible shape,some got run over by cars only to be replaced by other studs and breeding females.One spring morning I found a mother cat,a beautiful Calico LH,dirty and wet with 4kittens,having taken refuge in my open shed.One male was constantly mounting her...
I knew who both cats belonged to,but called our Humane Society to pick the mother and kittens up.They did and the mother cat was spayed and cleaned up and adopted as soon as the kittens were older.The four kittens also found good homes,I kept in regular contact with the HS here in Oakville to make sure.
I probably should have told the owner,but was more concerned with the mother-cat who's only purpose was breeding one litter after the other.
The woman and her kids were later evicted from the rented house,the stink of cat-urine and dirt in the house was soo bad,the HS took all the cats,some had to be put down,because of desease..
That's what happens,unfortunately the woman probably started all over in another location.

amaruq
May 11th, 2004, 08:12 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!! This can't be a serious post????????? And if it is...well I won't say what I think but insert any 4 letter word here please!