Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick dog, any suggestions?

coacoa352002
July 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM
My 1 1/2 year old Pit/Lab mix has been sick since last night. She was acting sick all night and threw up, I thought she was starting to feel better when I noticed her face around her eye and mouth was swollen. I called the vet, they said to give her Benadryl. I gave her Benadryl last night and the swelling went down and she appeared to be okay. She slept through the night, then this morning, she threw up again and the swelling started but not in her face this time. It is on her legs and it is itchy. Could this be allergies? Poisoning? Some sort of bug bite? Also, she won't eat or drink anything. The vet didn't act too concerned, but I am very.

Dr Lee
July 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM
The fact that she responded to benadryl the first time you administered it, is supportive of an allergic reaction. Once the benadryl 'wore off' it sounds like the swelling came back. I would recommend: 1) continue the benadryl, 2) bath her (if she has anything on her that she is allergic to on her, this can be a source of re-swelling), and 3) take her to the vet just to make sure everything is okay. The vomiting may be secondary to an allergic reaction. What is she allergic to? Difficult to say. That may take some investigating on your side. Typically the facial swelling occurs 20-30 minutes after exposure.

Hope this helps. Good luck.:pawprint:

mummummum
July 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I vote for #3 ASAP ~ it doesn't sound like a basic allergy to me. It could be an allergic reaction but as it is causing swelling in differing parts of her body at different times, as well as lethargy and vomitting I would hedge my bets on poison / toxic reaction along with a contact reaction. There are lots of pesticides and leaks from cars to be concerned about at this time of year.

You will want your Vet to do a complete blood count and chemical screen.