Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Is it too late to potty train my 2 year old dog?

juicy
July 20th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Is my 2 year old dog too late to be potty trained? He doesn't always do it all the time but lately, he has been going on the kitchen floor. Any suggestions??? Should i keep him in the kennel when he sleeps or when I am out?

coppperbelle
July 20th, 2007, 07:03 AM
It is never too late to potty train a dog. Is this a new behavior or something that just started? If it is a new behavior you may want to rule out a physical problem with your vet. If he was potty trained and is now not you willl have to start from scratch and teach him the basics. Keep him close to you and watch for signs that he needs to go. If you catch him in the act, tell him no and bring him immediately outside. When he does go outside praise him. When you can't watch him put him in his crate and when you let him out take him immediately outside.
You may have to devote a day or two to just doing this but it will pay off.

juicy
July 21st, 2007, 06:54 PM
THank you so much!

mummummum
July 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM
From your description, it sounds like it is likely a medical or emotional problem which suggests that Vet visit and UTI check is in order.

rainbow
July 21st, 2007, 07:43 PM
If he was potty trained and this is a new behaviour I would definitely take him to the vet to be checked for a bladder or urinary tract infection. :pawprint: