- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


swiffer wet jet false rumor

Chaz Coolidge
May 10th, 2004, 01:44 PM
The Swiffer Wet Jet rumor that it killed a pet is proved false. There is no link to Swiffer and the death of a dog! I thought all pet owners should know!! Please read below:
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Responds to Swiffer Wet Jet Rumor
Friday May 7, 2004
Veterinary Toxicologists regard allegations of liver failure and death from household cleaner as unfounded.
(Urbana, IL) May 6, 2004 -- Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center have reviewed the claim described in a widely distributed email alleging a relationship between the use of Swiffer Wet Jet and liver failure in a dog. The email alleges that exposure to the ingredients in Swiffer Wet Jet caused a dog's death.
The Swiffer Wet Jet system contains water (90-100%), propylene glycol n-propyl ether or propylene glycol n-butyl ether and isopropyl alcohol (1-4%). These ingredients are safe to use around pets when used according to label directions and would not cause liver damage at product concentrations. Propylene glycol n-butyl/propyl ether differs significantly from ethylene glycol, the potentially toxic ingredient present in most antifreeze products. Ethylene glycol is frequently implicated in causing renal failure in dogs following antifreeze ingestion. Propylene glycol n-propyl ether and propylene glycol n-butyl ether are very safe ingredients at levels used in cleaning products and do not cause kidney or liver failure.
The ASPCA will continue to monitor this situation and will post any additional information as it becomes available. Please call 1-888-426-4435 if you have any questions or have a pet that you suspect is experiencing problems, or visit us at
Media Contact: Ruth Goldstein
(212) 876-7700 ext. 4661
Dana Farbman, CVT
(217)-337-5030 ext. 751