Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kind of an odd question

LittleMomma
July 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Our cat (whose medical history is generally unknown since she was stray for 5-8 yrs before we adopted her) has a very odd habit. When we pet her in certain areas, her hind leg shakes... like dogs do sometimes. We adopted her a year ago and it's happened since then. I figured it was some weird nerve thing. Also, when I pet her chest in a certain spot, she lifts her head up and it sort of bobs a bit but stops as soon as I stop the petting. :shrug: Please tell me it's nothing serious! We've had so many scares recently! I'm nervous about this now b/c she's scheduled for surgery (vaccine lump) on Tuesday, I'm worried this could some how be a surgical risk... or something bad going on altogether!

She also rubs her head and chin against things like suitcases and table legs every once in a while... especially my husbands shoes!!.... not constantly but she seems to really love rubbing on the shoes. I always chalked that up to her getting her scent on things or just instinct but now I'm worried.

Please tell me this is just a quirk!!

mummummum
July 19th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I wish I were a " cat lady" , but I'm just a "crazy dog lady". I can tell you that my dogs often rub they shnozzes on things in general and specific things as a way of cleaning and scratching / rubbing their faces.

But as for the twitchiness when touched ~ it sounds more like an odd twitchy thing than a neurasthenic thing but it would be worthwhile speaking with the Vet about when you bring her in for surgery.

Hopefully some of the cat-people will be around shortly to share their experiences.

sugarcatmom
July 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I think when you're petting your cat and it does the twitchy thing, it just means you're hitting the "sweet spot". She's probably diggin' it. At least that's how it works with my kitty.

As for chin rubbing, it is indeed a scent marking behaviour, but in a friendly way:

Pheromones are naturally secreted when cats rub objects with the side of their face. These pheromones are later recognized by the cat and produce feelings of familiarity and comfort.

I wouldn't worry about it, but do talk to your vet if you still have concerns.

And good luck with the surgery on Tuesday!

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I second that sugarcatmom.:)

My Duffy loves to mush (rub her nose & chin) all over me esp my nose & chin.:D

LittleMomma
July 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM
thanks that makes me feel better! If it actually were a neurological thing, would that be a surgical risk, or no?

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
If it is neurological is it possible for it to be a surgery risk, however, minor (small, unattached, non-cancerous, vaccine related) lump removal is usually not as serious a surgery as cancerous lump removal for example (this may involve blood vessel/nerves etc).

I've had two dogs w/minor lump removals & a cat w/major cancerous lump removal. All came out of surgery just fine.

IMO sounds like you have scratched the sweet spot like Sugarcatmom said, also cats will do the leg shakes to help scratch the area (in addition to your scratching) if it is itchy (ie flea bite in that area)

If you have any doubts you can always call your vet & book an exam prior to surgery & explain in detail about the leg shakes & head bobbing - esp helpful if she will do it there too.

Good luck w/surgery :)

LittleMomma
July 20th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I just called the office and there are no appts available with that vet prior to surgery so I left a msg for him to call me back so we can discuss my concerns. There was an appt available the day after the scheduled surgery... so maybe I should wait and have her actually seen THEN reschedule the surgery? We are new patients to this vet since we moved, so I'm nervous about that, too. I'm just an all-around nervous kitty momma is what is essentially boils down to.

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I would wait see what the Dr says today, then if you like reschedule, sometimes it can be hard to get surgery appts for times that work well for you. Plus remember the offices usually require @ least 48 hrs notice for cancelling/rescheduling - check with your Vet it may be different in your area :)

LittleMomma
July 20th, 2007, 10:32 AM
thanks... I'm sick over the whole ordeal. I want that stupid lump GONE but she's got to be safe during the whole thing. She's overweight, too (17 lbs when she should be about 10-12) so I know that's a risk, too.

Love4himies
July 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I ditto sugarcatmom. I have a cat that acts like a dog when I scratch certain places on him. It is sooo funny to watch:laughing: .

LittleMomma
July 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
OK, I'm scared to ask this but... do any of your cats ever just stare? She doesn't do it often.. and she isn't an overly active cat. But today she was just sort of staring at her water bowl after she was drinking from it. When she does it, I can "snap her out of it" and she never acts startled or anything, she just looks in my direction and goes about her business. I'm hoping she just gets bored! We adopted her a year ago and she's always sort of stared but I never worried about it til now. Now I wish I had asked our old vet!

All this googling has made me very paranoid!

OK, just got a call from the vet himself... told him about how I wanted him to check her out thoroughly before the procedure and he said not to worry that there weren't any appts, to just bring her in and he would check her out before hand. This makes me happy and makes me a little less nervous.

mummummum
July 20th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I would rather meet a person with animals who are a little "paranoid" than those who don't care... you know, the "it's just a cat" attitude. And, I would rather deal with a Vet who says, "You're worried. Come in ~ I'll make time for you." anyday over a Vet who is dismissive of my concerns (no matter how trite).

You're just being a good Mum Littlemomma, don't apologize !

Jim Hall
July 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
OK, I'm scared to ask this but... do any of your cats ever just stare? She doesn't do it often.. and she isn't an overly active cat. But today she was just sort of staring at her water bowl after she

well you see cat is waiting for a goldsish to drop by;)
cats will stare at things

i helped a friend move two cats into her city apt
i get a call around midnight audery the new keeper is freaking
mooshie the cat is staring at the blank wall!! omg shes like catatonic!!
Mosshie was listening to the mice and other crititers

also she may have seen a bug there and is waiting to play with it

LittleMomma
July 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone! Just feeling like I can't catch a break!... one thing after another! Once I get an idea in my head I tend to run with it... and then if you factor google into the mix, it's a disaster!! :frustrated: I'm such a bleeding heart for animals, especially cats... so I can't stand the thought of there being something wrong and me missing the subtleties that precede something really bad. Definitely a hyper-observant one!

chico2
July 20th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Littlemomma,my 3 cats all have their own quirks,they are funny little creatures:laughing:
Rocky has a thing for shoes,he's in love with my sandals at the moment..Vinnie shakes his leg like your does and as for staring at nothing,all 3 of my cats were sitting in my bed staring at the ceiling,I could not hear anything,but later found out there was mice in the roof.
Good Luck with her surgery tomorrow:fingerscr and don't Google everything,It's like reading a medical-book and all of a sudden you feel at deaths door:laughing:

LittleMomma
July 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I told my husband to permanently ban me from google!! :rolleyes: It all started with the VAS... go ahead and type in "vaccine lump" and see if you can find anything other than VAS! It's really scary! To the point where eventhough I've had two vets tell me it's probably not VAS (though they need to biopsy it to make sure), I can't shake the thought! There should be a google support group haha!!

Glad to know there are lots of quirky cats out there! The fact that we adopted her as an older adult with an unknown med history is scary sometimes when something happens. I should really stop anticipating the worst, eh?! :pawprint: