Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

injured paw pad

Charlie Sloan
July 19th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Hello, my husband went biking yesterday and took Charlie with him. Charlie loves to run, but unfortunatley running on a paved surface caused his paw pads wear down in spots and torn off in others. There is no open cuts, it looks like new thin skin. He is having a hard time walking and looks like it is painful. Any suggestions?

Dr Lee
July 19th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Just like when we get blisters from running too much - they are sore and will generally resolve with time and TLC. If he seems to be in a lot of discomfort I recommend that you take him to a veterinarian for pain medications. Usually keeping the sores clean with warm soapy water, applying triple antibiotic (e.g. neosporin), rest and time will more than be enough to take care of most asphalt blisters. Some people like using dog boots (you can buy cushioned velcro tie-on boots online and at most major pet stores).

If the clincal signs worsen, in any way - please see your veterinarian right away. Occasionally some may need antibiotics or to have pebbles taken out of the paw - in my experience, I think this is rare.

Good luck.:pawprint:

mummummum
July 19th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Yup any kind of running for extended periods on asphalt (or walking on salt) can really cause wear and tear on a dawgz paws. Dog boots are definitely in order. A good soak in epsom salts to get out the grit, some neosporin and/or bag balm for a couple of nights (I put the elasticized baby slippers on afterwards so it doesn't get all over the floor) should put it right. If you and the hubby are looking at this as a full-time activity ~ and good for you ! ~ do some serious research on the right kind(s) of boots for your Chance. In fact you might want to re-post in general or on-topic as there are quite a few of us who have tried different boots.

Charlie Sloan
July 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the advice...Charlie seems to be a little less tender today