Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First Aid Kit For A Camping Trip

luckypenny
July 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM
We'll be leaving for our camping trip early next week (should last about 2 1/2-3weeks) and I'm in the process of trying to make up a first aid kit for Lucky & Penny. Would anybody have any suggestions? So far all I can think of is Benedryl (for any reactions to bug bites), styptic powder (for minor cuts), and the vet had recommended Gravol for Penny's car sickness. I know there must be other items that I just can't think of right now.

We'll be camping oceanside and I was wondering, do I have to rinse off their coats if they've gone swimming in the salt water?

I've called ahead and the closest vet is about 1 hour away so I just want to make sure we have all that will be needed in case of an emergency (until we can get to the clinic). Thanks.

Ford Girl
July 19th, 2007, 05:44 PM
This is what I bring, we go every weekend so it stays packed in her very own camping rubbermaid...yes, she's spoiled!!! I admitt it.

First Aid Kit: Peroxide (induces instance vommitting), old pantyhose (for muzzle or sling or wrap), q-tips/cotton balls, pepto bismol, asprin, fur brush, nail clippers, emergency vet clinic card, Golden for Dummies book, instant ice pack, instant heat pack, 1 cup of upcooked rice, 1 small baggie of corn starch, ear cleaning solution, spare cheap collar and benedryl...I think that's it?

I won't even get in to all the other bits and pieces I pack for her...some of these items are required for my pooch cuz she is always up to no good!

Yes, rinse them off good, the salt is bad for their fur/skin. Have fun, take lots of pictures!!

luckypenny
July 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
..."aspirin"...like Bayer aspirin?
..."cornstarch"...what would I use this for?
..."uncooked rice"...:confused: :o ...in case of loose stool?

:) Thanks. Feel free to add that other list of yours :D

coppperbelle
July 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I would also bring something in case of cuts. I buy an emergency gel from Cabela's. It is something like Polysporin but for hunting dogs. It is too late for you to order it if you are leaving early next week but if you happen to drive by a hunting store look for it. I think it is called Emergency FX gel. I would also bring gauze in case you have to wrap the dogs leg or paw. Again, there is a special one available for dogs.
Where are you going on vacation. I am assuming downeast or in the U.S. The ocean gave it away. If you are heading to the U.S. check out Petsmart. They have a section for first aid equipment.
I would rinse the dogs off after swimming in the ocean as the salt water will dry out their skin and make them itchy. You don't want to have to deal with hot spots. I would also take some Tea Tree Oil, just in case they do get one.

luckypenny
July 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks Coppperbelle. THere's a hunting store not far from here so I'll go take a look tomorrow.

We're going to Miscou Island in New Brunswick. It's pretty remote and I don't remember seeing any pet supply stores in the area (when we went last year). Actually, there wasn't so much as a traffic light nor gas station either :laughing: . We'll be roughing it so fresh water will definitely be in short supply. We're "squatting" :o :D on my husband's grandfather's abandoned property by the ocean so we won't have access to electricity nor fresh water. There was a well there at one point many years ago, so we'll look into that as soon as we arrive. We have a water tank on our camper so that should last at least a couple of days to rinse the dogs off.

gomez
July 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
tweezers, in case you get a tick and spare frontline, liquid or spray

luckypenny
July 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM
tweezers, in case you get a tick and spare frontline, liquid or spray

Oh, I didn't think of that either. My dogs are on Advantage Multi preventative treatments. Not sure if it's good (or bad in this case) for ticks. I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

gomez
July 19th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Yep, I used Frontline as an example, whatever it is you use for ticks and fleas, take a spare.

Here we use Advantix or Frontline twice a month on Gomez, the danger of paralysis ticks is just too great to take a chance - you don't have that problem over there, but if you do get a tick or two, you can pull them out with the tweezers and apply an extra dose of "stuff", just in case...

Or the spray in case you get a dose of fleas!

Have fun

mummummum
July 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM
:D Please bear in mind I'm a "kitchen'sink'er":

makeup remover pads, cotton swabs, gauze roll, elasticized bandage with clips, a couple of maxi-pads (yes, "sanitary napkins"), ball-tip scissors, styptic powder, professional tweezers, dog's nail clippers, 5 ~ 10 % hydrogen peroxide, ipecac, liquid activated charcoal, mineral oil, vaseline, bag balm, saline solution, antibiotic ointment, large syringe, medicine dropper, Euphrasia (homepathic aka "Eyebright"), small bottle of distilled water, instant heat and cold packs, digital thermometer, duct tape, wide tooth and flea comb, small bowl/ wide cup, a thick magazine or splint board.

I always walk (no matter where I am) a with a "swiss army knife" with all the contraptions ~ at the very least always have with you a 2" - 3" blade.

One of the other pets.ca'ers also wisely suggested having a photo of your animal with all the pertinent details about them listed on the back. I also carry their microchip numbers, rabies tag / licence tag numbers and name/ tel # of their vet along with a short list of their medical history and info re: meds they are currently taking.

Ford Girl
July 20th, 2007, 01:03 PM
..."aspirin"...like Bayer aspirin?
..."cornstarch"...what would I use this for?
..."uncooked rice"...:confused: :o ...in case of loose stool?

:) Thanks. Feel free to add that other list of yours :D

Yes, asprin for aches and pains and sprains...dogs our size can have 1 x 250 every 5 hours. No Advil or Tylenol.

Corstarch to stop bleeding if she rips a nail off or gets a small cut or scrape..it clotts the blood until you can fix it up right.

Uncooked rice...yes, for the runs...also if you have to induce vomitting (which I have had to do - that's what the peroxide is for) the meal they have after that should be easy on the stomache...hense the rice.

My vet also said if they are going to be around water and be drinkling alot of water and very active, to add extra protien that isn't kibble to their diet, don't add extra kibble as it may swell up with all the water and activity. I add a raw egg to each meal at camp.

My other lists...I copied this from another thread a while back...but here's how we do things...

Sleeping Arrangments:
Tent trailer - she sleeps on the bed we don't sleep on, we pull the curtian closed and she thinks she's locked in so she barks to be let off the bed!! LOL!!!

Leash/confinment: Retractable leash altho dangerous with other dogs and kids around, regular 6' leash, and her x-pen set up in the middle of the action, she is content being confinded as long as she can see the action, not a peep out of her, a person parked his truck in her view and she howled, he promptly moved it!!! ha! Good to put her in when cooking or when everyone is eating, altho I got tones of concern comments about her "jail" and how mean we were, I just shot back.."you wanna share you steak with her, by all means" We even put her and VooDoo in at the same time so they could rest, other dog owner friends used it too.

She had her very own rubbermaid that held all the first aid stuff plus her dishes, boneless meat sticks so she could chew when in her pen - for confined chewing only - too many dogs around, 2 small stuffies for bed time, treats, bait bag, clicker, poop bags, a bright blue bandana, 4 towels, 1 blanket, food for all days individually baggied by serving, and "doggie" wipes...for when she rolls in bad things.

And, last but not least...her very own 6L water cooler, she drank alot of river water, but I wanted her to have back home tap water too.

She had her shots for beaver fever, we had issues with her eating toilet paper which I gave up chasing her on, I hung bags in the woods for my friends to use however in our group alone there is always at least 15 people, she found it regardless of the pick ups we did each day.

PHEW! I know, sounds like alot? We are hard core campers, back woods, no facilities and I wanted having a dog out there to be as easy as possible. I tell you, the x-pen is the best investment I have ever made, we use it at home every day, that's where she spends the 6 hours a day she is home alone.

We have gone camping 7 times this year so far and each trip gets easier and easier!!!

mummummum
July 20th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Ford girl mentioned "doggy wipes" ~ the unscented baby wipes are really great at removing sap/ other stickiness and can help work out burrs and tangles as well as the general "goo" dawgs seems to get into. I stick a bunch in a freezer bag when we are hiking ~ great for cleaning mucky hands too ! And when done, you can toss them in fire afterwards.

coppperbelle
July 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I just thought of something else. You may want to bring the ingredients necessary to clean them off if they get sprayed by a skunk.

mummummum
July 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Good thinking Copperbelle. This is stuff a camper would probably bring but it's handy to remember anyway (have a spray bottle fand a stiff bristle brush)

1 qt. hydrogen peroxide
1/2 cup baking soda
1 tsp dishwashing detergent

Mix and shake in the bottle, lifting up the hair, spray onto the the skin (wear rubber or latex gloves), massage lightly and work through with the brush. Thoroughly rinse. Repeat as needed. Shampoo and condition normally.

Please note that if a skunk has sprayed directly into your animals face ~ particularly their eyes, Vet attention may be necessary.

luckypenny
July 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Great ideas, thanks everyone. I actually called one of the campgrounds owned by some friends down there to reserve a spot. I started panicking about the lack of fresh water and remembered that there were hoards of red ants where the hubby wanted to park the camper :rolleyes: . So it'll be a bit easier for the dogs (and for me too of course). We'll be bringing their crates, just in case, because Lucky really needs it here at home when he's feeling overly anxious. We have an ancient 27 foot shoe box on wheels :D so we can leave the dogs indoors if need be.

Mx3, what is Euphrasia used for?

Ford Girl, I think I'll come camping with you next time :D , I wouldn't have anything to pack :) .

Coppperbelle, I totally forgot about skunks :eek: , thanks for the reminder.

mummummum
July 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Sorry about that ~ Euphrasia is also known as "eyebright" and it is the best general eye wash/ curative for eyes I have ever come across. You will have to go to a homeopath or a healthfood store for it though.

happycats
July 20th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Here is a great post about camping supplies.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13811&highlight=camping+check+list

Ford Girl
July 20th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Ford girl mentioned "doggy wipes" ~ the unscented baby wipes are really great at removing sap/ other stickiness and can help work out burrs and tangles as well as the general "goo" dawgs seems to get into. I stick a bunch in a freezer bag when we are hiking ~ great for cleaning mucky hands too ! And when done, you can toss them in fire afterwards.

I use mine for things like cow poo and bog mud! These are a great thing to have!!! I also keep them handy for wiping off drool from unsuspecting victims!! :p Question - why do dogs just have to find the most disgusting wet slimey stinky things to get in to? :eek:

You can come with us anytime, all you need is a 4x4, a cooler of beverages and a good sense of humor! Oh, and the willingness to use the loo in the wild! :D I should post some pics sometime of our trucks/bikes/mud adventures??

Oh, and bring a line or something to tie them up with if they won't stay close but you want them around you but not in the kennels, we just use a 12' lenght of rope with a hikers clevis for easy clipping.

Also - we have a friend who lives in Houston, their lab was just bit by fire ants, the vet treated the dog with Benydryl.

Have a great weekend everyone...we are leaving in about 2 hours to head out camping...CHEERS!

luckypenny
July 20th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Have fun Ford Girl. Don't forget we want to see lots of pictures!