Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Had a sick Cat!!!!

Princesss04
May 10th, 2004, 01:22 PM
I just recently got married and for my wedding gift my hubsand got me two kittens. They are prolly about 8 weeks old or a little older. We have had the cats for prolly about 1 week. I put the cats to bed on Saturday night and they were fine they had not been sick or anything and than I got up and checked on them at 3:00 in the morning and they were fine but when I woke up in the morning the one little orange cat was laying on the floor barely breathing and I picked him up and he actted like he was dead but he was still breathing, his head and neck fell backwards and he was lifeless. We went in and called the vet but he was out for the morning and could not see the cat for one more hour and than 10 minutes later the cat stopped breathing and was gone. I needed to know if any of you know what could have been wrong with my Princess. We checked the bathroom there was nothing in there that he would have gotten into and there was nothing in the bathroom that even if he could have it would not of killed him like that. We just moved in at the beginning of the week and we had not even been using that bathroom. And like I said he had been actting fine eatting and drinking he was playing and was fine. I just do not know what happened and I do not want this to happen to the other one. We changed all the water and food bowls and got him a new bed and liter box and things like that we threw away all their toys and bought the other cat new ones so it does not have nothing that the sick cat had but I would really appreciate your help of anyone could help me PLEASE!!!

cmt489
May 10th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

While I don't know what could possibly have caused this, I strongly recommend that you have your other kitty checked by the vet to make sure whatever this was is not contageous.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

Michelle

Bill & Bob
May 10th, 2004, 01:34 PM
That's horrible. Sorry about your kitten, not a nice thing to happen to your wedding gift. Did the vet eventually see the kitten postmortem or say anything about why it might have died? The kitten was 8 weeks old, so it's not like it was born with an inordinant problem that would have caused it's death shortly after birth. Just my opinion though and I don't have any qualifications to really give one.
Might consider taking the other one in to get checked out though. Just in case. Again, just a suggestion since there's nothing overtly apparent that caused the first one to pass on.

Princesss04
May 10th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Thank you for your help I just got off the phone with the vet and he asked me what kind of liter I was using and I told him the kind that clumps and you just scop it out. He told me with that kind of liter it sticks onto the bottom of their feet and than when they go to lick their feet it goes onto their digestive track and clumps there and will cause major problems. So there is another option I did not think about. So if you are using the clump liter than I would reccomend stopping just in case he said that it can even happen to older cats after years. Thank you for your help! Amanda
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

While I don't know what could possibly have caused this, I strongly recommend that you have your other kitty checked by the vet to make sure whatever this was is not contageous.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

Michelle

Lucky Rescue
May 10th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your kitten.:(

Clumping litter should never be used with kittens, for anyone else who might be reading this.

Luba
May 10th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Oh thats so very very sad, this is something that it should state on the packaging doesn't it???

chico2
May 10th, 2004, 03:50 PM
I am so sorry,the poor little guy :(
Well,another thing to worry about...I changed to the clumping litter a couple of years ago,because the regular clay-litter is too dusty and gets in the cats lungs.
Lucky,what do you use? I know there are alternatives out there,a friend of mine is using some awful yellowish stuff,but the cat-pee smell is terrible...it also goes into clumps but gets hard as rock.
Then there is the litter that looks like little plastic pellets,very expensive and I don't know if the cats would use it,probably toxic too :eek:

Karin
May 10th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Give "Yesterdays News" litter a try. It is made of recycled newspapers. It does cost a tad more than the usual litters but well worth it.

amaruq
May 10th, 2004, 08:41 PM
AWWW thats so sad :( I'm sorry for your loss

Princesss04
May 11th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Give "Yesterdays News" litter a try. It is made of recycled newspapers. It does cost a tad more than the usual litters but well worth it.

I have heard of that were would I get it I know the regular grocery stores do not have it and I went to this pet store and they did not either I guess I will juat have to ask around till I can find some. Thank you for your help! ;) [FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Red]

chico2
May 11th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Karin,I am going to check for it too,but maybe you only have it in Florida?

mona_b
May 11th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss.

Hey guys,did I not just post something like this a while ago about the clumping litter. :(

Karin
May 11th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Many places carry Yesterdays News, PetSmart and PetCo..all pet supply department stores. Butler Veterinary Supply company carries it as well. I am sure you can find it., maybe ask a retailer in your area.. I know some people who order the litter through Foster & Smith, the pet catalog...(no pun intended)..and it is cheaper to order it. I'll see if I can come up with an addy.
The stuff is great.

Princesss04
May 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Thank you all for your help! I found some of that liter and I am working with my kitten and trying to get him to use it. I am so blessed and lucky to have him with me still. I can not believe they would actually be allowed to sell litter that can do that. My other cat is doing wonderful and no sign of him being sick. Thank you all and I will let you know what happens! :p

mona_b
May 12th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Princess,go in to general,I posted something...It;s under Toxic Litter.

amaruq
May 12th, 2004, 11:36 AM
You know your not suppose to use clumping litter on Rabbits? It will for sure clog their lungs.

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Well, I reccomend not using that liter on anything that breathes. Thank you for your concerns the other kitten is doing fine!