Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible FIP???

jowilson002
July 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
have 9 cats and kittens. I take in abandoned or abused cats or kittens.

Simon, my 10 month old male kitten has been very ill for a couple of weeks. He is currenlty at the vet but may get to come home later today. FIP was mentioned as a possible diagnosis.

Simon has had a temp of 106, WBCs of 37,000, tissue sample showed NO tissue damage, platelets are a little low at 244. Other labs are not significant. There is NO fluid accummulation but there is an URI.

Question: Simon is on 4 different injectable antibiotics but no steroids or nsaids. He is responding and his temp is down to 103. Is it possible that this is not FIP?

Also, I have two 8 week old kittens from the same litter. One is significantly smaller than the other and a little less active. Although both eat well and do not appear ill. One is more independant and the smaller one is more affectionate and likes to sit on your lap and take a nap. Despite the lack of obvious illness should I be concerned about the small size of one of the kittens?

Dr Lee
July 19th, 2007, 09:21 PM
The concern of viral infection seems justified with four injectable antibiotics with a persistent fever of 103. However bacterial infections and other inflammatory causes could also be possible. The high fever and elevated WBCs could have many causes. FIP can often be difficult to either rule in or rule out! It can be very frustrating. Depending upon the situation steroid or nsaids could make your pet worse - especially in light of an initial 106 temp!

Sounds like he is making progress with your vet. When you pick him up, ask your vet on whether or not he should be isolated from everyone else or not. If FIP is high on the list, it is of course very contagious. Hang in there.

With regard to a small kitten of the litter; they are always at higher suspect for congenital diseases. However if the cat is otherwise thriving - I would stay the course and monitor. Good luck.:pawprint:

mummummum
July 19th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Jowilson I'm sorry to hear your kitty is ill but it's important (for everyone reading) to understand that you need to take animals to the Vet when they are ill. Dr Lee may or may not be here on any given day to respond and even so Vets cannot diagnose over the internet, the best they can do is provide a little bit of information. The rest of us can share our experiences and history. But if you have an animal in need of medical help the best thing is a Vet visit asap.

The only other thing I would note (for anyone reading) is that acronyms (like FIP) can vary from country to country and from year to year so it's best to spell out the whole disorder/ disease, As well, I know nothing about cats but might like to learn ~ acronyms get in the way of that learning.

Thanks for coming to the board with your concerns (and for your rescue efforts !) ~ we look forward to hearing from you in the future !

Dr Lee
July 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Great advice mummummum!

jowilson002
July 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks so much for responding to my post. This is the first time that I have posting on this site and will be recommending you to my friends.

"Simon" was able to come home from the vet hospital yesterday around 430 pm and is doing better. Although he still has a low grade temp he is eating well and still improving.

The vet(s) said that they were confident that "Simon" would be fine and that this is likely an isolated case of illness. They said that he did not need to be isolated from my other cats and kittens.

Again, I greatly appreciate your response to my post.

As always, I will continue to spoil my cats and will definitely take them to the vet when they are ill. My vet and his partners are great but it is very nice to have somewhere to seek out additional opinions when I am so concerned over one of my pets. :thumbs up

Also, I will continue to keep an eye on my "small" kitten...

mummummum
July 20th, 2007, 01:35 PM
That's great news Jowilson ~ phew ! Looking forward to seeing pix of your kit-cats and hearing all of your cat-tales :D !

chico2
July 20th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Jowilson,I love anyone who rescues and cares for unwanted cats/dogs:love:
It would be great if you could show us some pics and I hope the little guy will continue to improve,the kittens can get so sick so very fast and go down hill,but I am sure you know that already.
Also,Welcome to our great Forum!!