Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Biting frenzy

Strarting_Fresh
July 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I have a 2 mnth old Catahoula hound/Amer. bulldog mix. She is very loving and loves to kiss and play. The problem is she bites when she kisses and when I'm walking she'll grab onto my feet or shoes or the bottom of my pants. If I'm sitting she'll bit my legs. If she's near my hands she'll bite those. I look like a cat has attacked me. I don't know what to do. She also bites when I try to give her treats. I'm slowly geting her to sit so I have her sit for the treat and I tell her easy and back my hand away when she bites me but she'll just lunge at the treat(my hand always gets the worst end of that situation) What can I do to stop this behavior? She also doesn't sleep very long at night. She'll go to bed at 10ish and wake me up(biting my face) at 2 wanting to play. I realy don't want to hit her and scolding her is doing no good. My vet suggested spraying myself down with perfume that she wouldn't like the smell, but I myself am allergic.

Please help. I'll try anything right now. I'm starting to look like the mascot for Bandaid Brand.:frown:

satchelp
July 18th, 2007, 08:30 PM
This is not at all unusual. Your puppy has not learned bite inhibition yet, but can be taught with some patient consistent work. Here are some articles that should help:

http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualbiteinhibitionarticle.htm

satchelp
July 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Also .. should have put this in my previous post... if your puppy is waking you in the middle of the night, you may want to consider using a crate in your bedroom at night until the puppy matures and sleeps through the night.

mummummum
July 18th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Excellent links Satchelp ! The obvious is ~ this is normal for puppies and will only get worse with teething. But, given that you have a puppy with breeds that are very strong-willed and smart, you are doing the right thing by paying attention to this from the get-go. Keep us tuned !

Strarting_Fresh
July 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone. So heres an update on Roxy. We have her biting slightly reduced. She still thinks people are chew toys, but were working on that. She still sleeps on the bed with my partner and I but she made it until 5 o'clock this morning before waking us up. She's geting calmer at night with the biting. I don't know if its because i play with her an hour before bed or if its because we don't pay attention to her when she's in bed. She eventually gets bored and goes to sleep, which is what we want. She's 10 weeks old now and picking up on basic comands. She's still trying to bite my hand when I feed her. Should I give up on that until she's older?

geoffh4
July 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Heres what my trainer suggested:

Always have a treat and chew toy handy. Play with your dog with the chew toy. If it EVER even so much as touches your skin with its teeth, immediately take the toy, stand up, and walk away. The dog wants more than anything to have the toy and your affection. You must then ignore the dog for about 10 seconds.

Afterwards, repeat. Eventually, it'll get the idea that biting/touching you with its teeth is not going to be the best way to play. The trainer gave me the example of puppies at play. They will bite at each other until one puppy gets a little too rough and the other one yelps out. This causes play to stop, and then resumes a few seconds later at a lesser pace.

You must do the same with your dog. When she starts chewing on things you want, reward her with treats. She'll quickly learn what she is supposed to be playing with and what she's not. Also, instead of ever scolding her (all this does is ruin your bond with her), just replace whatever she is chewing on (your hand, etc) with a chew toy. Make sure to make it interactive for her so she's interested, and if she touches you, move away.

Good luck

Strarting_Fresh
July 23rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Thank you. I will try that. I'm not sure if walking away will work though. She loves to chase after people and bite the legs of their pants or shoes if they are wearing shorts. Who knows maybe it will bring her out of that as well. Thank you.

mummummum
July 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
So maybe her "time-outs" are a good time to practice "sit-stay".

clm
July 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
We were getting over the worst of the puppy biting with Baxter and then we got Bentley. He pierced hubbys ear in the exact same spot that Baxter did, such a neat clean hole, looks like it was perfectly placed. Hubby didn't even feel that one happen, just noticed the blood when he looked in the mirror :laughing:

A tired puppy means more sleep for you and the puppy at night, so we take Baxter and Bentley out for their walks about an hour before dark, so like around 8:00 right now. Play with them out in the backyard after we're back home until about 10:00. By then they're pretty baked, so then they're inside and nap for an hour, take them back out again before we go to bed at 11:00 for a final pee and then I'm up with them at 4:00.....Baxter can hold it until 5 or 6 if need be, he's 5 months old this week, but Bentley, who's going to be 3 months old in another week, he can't manage to hold it that long yet.

They have toys to gnaw on if they need to gnaw themselves to sleep and chew toys are great skin savers while teaching them some bite control. Mine love the usual kongs and cuz toys, heavy work gloves and my sneakers too :p

Cindy

Strarting_Fresh
July 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone. Well we were doing the playing for an hour before bed and chew sticks so she wont chew on us at night, but so far it only works until she has to potty. When she comes back inside she stays up chewing on us for hours or trying to get Zoae to play. Zoae is getting a little more playful with the puppy so this is becoming a problem. We don't have a crate for either of them, I prefer the crate to be the last resort. We are putting them out of the room tonight, but I'm worried that Roxy wont let us know when she needs to go and she'll jus go all over. We have puppy pads, but she jus flat out refuses to use them. Any suggestions?

sugarcatmom
July 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM
We don't have a crate for either of them, I prefer the crate to be the last resort.

Just wondering why you're reluctant to do the crate thing. It can actually be a fabulous training tool, on so many levels. Having a "doggy-den" is a natural inclination for a dog. Read this for more info:

http://siriusdog.com/articles/crate-train-puppy-housetrain.htm

Strarting_Fresh
July 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I'm reluctant to train this one in a crate because Zaoe was never trained in a crate. She was a yard dog and now that we live in an apartment she cant be but for the most part she holds herself very well. My partners frame of mind is if we crate one, we gotta crate the other. I don't think Zaoe should be. I know that if we seperate the two she'll stop having "accidents." I say "accidents" because it seems like she only does it when the pup gets in trouble so she figures i do it the pup gets in trouble. Sweet deal right? No. We began punishing them both and no it seems like they are just doing it to get our attention. Which I don't understand because when they do good they get treats and praise and play time and when they do bad they get time out. Should I crate Zaoe as well?

clm
July 25th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I've never used crates myself....I understand they're a great training tool, but I've got a problem with seeing animals in cages...just me, but it bothers me. I'm in a semi too, so a pair of howling puppies, even if just for a few nights while getting used to being crated, really isn't an option unless I want to have trouble with the neighbours. If you have carpeting in the room you're keeping them in at night and you're not crate training and they won't use puppy pads, then you'll likely have to do a lot of carpet cleaning until they can hold it all night if they're not waking you up to go. Mine can actually go about 6 hours now, but still have the odd accident. They try to wake me up for sure, just sometimes they wait until they can wait no longer before they wake me up :)

Cindy

Strarting_Fresh
July 26th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Well we're trying one more option before crating them. We're going to buy a kiddy gate and block them into the kitchen. Its enough space so that they don't feel traped but not enough for them to tear the place apart. We are thinking of buying one big crate big enough for the both of them. They like to sleep together and jus put it in the kitchen with them for bed time. Any ideas on that? Do's and don'ts maybe? Another thing we cant seem to do with this pup is the potty training. We take them out every hour so they would get a schedule. Weather they have to go or not. We need to pee pad train them and it's not going so well. Should we not take them outside and put them on the pee pad when we see them start to go some where until the get used to it and then take them out every hour?

Strarting_Fresh
July 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
We are making great progress. We figured out what the puppys' (Roxy) problem was...Zaoe. My 5 year old. She spent most of her life at my parents house and when I moved I took her with me. Well it turns out she didn't like being away from home. 3 weeks, 25 dollars(for the blinds she tore to shreds) and 3 hours later(how long it took us to put up the new blinds and drive to my parents) she was back home. She's happier there. Roxy is more focused now. We are teaching her basic comands like sit stay and lay during play time. She already has the hang of fetch(if she don't bring the ball back no one can throw it again for her) Smart dog. So we have her sit say stay then throw the ball while keep telling her to stay and if she stays for more than 2 seconds we say go get it and she gets it and brings it back. She is now learning Lay! YEY! we are excited. And we now have here in a crate when we are gone. She still barks like she's dying when we leave and when we come home though. But I'm sure she'll grow out of that. I hope. The chewing is also getting better except when we walk she still grabs onto our pantlegs. But we are worrking on that. Thanks to everyone for your great advice!