Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick St. Bernard

mmlc7
July 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM
my seven year old st. bernard (a female who is not fixed) has recently not been eating much and she has developed a limp in her back leg and she is just out of energy. she also has a mucus-y discharge from her bottom. is this heart worms or something else? we give her her heartworm pills alhtough inconsistently. does it have to do with her not being fixed?

papillonmama
July 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
We aren't vets, most of us are just regular members, it would be best if you brought your dog in to get a vet check. seven years is getting on in the large breed world and she might need some tests to make sure everything is okay, so if it were me, I would make an appointment asap and let us kow what happens please.

Good luck

sugarcatmom
July 18th, 2007, 06:13 PM
When you say "mucusy discharge from her bottom", do you mean her vagina? Either way, a vet visit is absolutley a must, but if this discharge is coming from her vagina, it's an extreme emergency. Run, don't walk, to the nearest vet clinic NOW. It could very well be Pyometra:

WHAT IS PYOMETRA?

"Pyometra" is the life-threatening infection of the uterus which generally occurs in middle-aged to older female dogs in the six weeks following heat. The hormone "progesterone," which primes the uterus for potential pregnancy, does so by causing proliferation of the blood-filled uterine lining and suppression of uterine immune function. It is thus easy during heat for bacteria in the vagina to ascend to the uterus to cause infection. The uterus with pyometra swells dramatically and is filled with pus, bacteria, dying tissue, and toxins. Without treatment, the pet is expected to die. Despite her serious medical state, she must be spayed quickly if her life is to be saved.

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY COMMON DISEASE
OF OLDER UNSPAYED FEMALE DOGS!

PYOMETRA IS NOT SOMETHING WHICH "MIGHT" HAPPEN;
CONSIDER THAT IT PROBABLY WILL HAPPEN.

The older unspayed female dog has an irregular heat cycle. There is no end of cycling comparable to human menopause. If you still decide against spaying, be very familiar with the signs of pyometra. (These include loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, excessive thirst, marked vaginal discharge).

mummummum
July 18th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the Board ~ I'm sorry to hear that your dog is ill. I agree with the others that a Vet visit is in order ASAP. The symptoms you describe may not be related but, the vaginal discharge definitely raises alarm bells in an unspayed dog. Please let us know how you make out ~ and while you are at the Vet...maybe now is a good time to arrange spaying your :lovestruck: dog.

rainbow
July 19th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I would definitely be concerned about pyometra. Please take her to the vet asap and post with an update. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes: