Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

salt and cats

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM
So Down under likes sardines and tuna yeah well she's a cat
here's my question the tuna and sardine i can buy at the grocery are loaded with salt How does this effect my cat ? i have googled and searched here but cant find any threads or links.

rainbow
July 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM
You should definitely rinse the tuna and sardines (or any canned fish) with water at least once before giving to your pet. :pawprint:

Kristin7
July 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I can't imagine that much salt is good for a cat. Even I rinse canned tuna before eating it (which gets rid of some salt and that 'canned' taste). I have seen canned tuna with no salt added, if you can find that, it is likely much better for the cat.

rainbow
July 18th, 2007, 06:37 PM
You also need to rinse tuna really well because of the mercury levels.

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM
yup i do that too for me and down under still a lot of salt though

rainbow
July 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Here's some info:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=450509

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
excellent thank you Don't misunderstand me I woyld nevr feed a cat or myself for that matter tuna or sardines exclusivly im just thionking of chopping some uo in her reg wet food to tempt her into eating more.

rainbow
July 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM
There's no problem in that. :)

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2007, 07:27 PM
thanks

funny story i live upstrairs from a resturaunt the first time my other cat gimpy smelled them cooking fish she woke up and jumped up to the window seat and started to purr and sniff like crazy i just had to go down and buy a piece of salmon for us