Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogfighting a booming business, experts say

heidiho
July 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/18/dog.fighting/index.html

russte
July 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't even read that link, it dicussted me to even think people actully condone this replusive practise, it is not just only vulgar and diplorable it makes me so discussted with the human race who enjoy this sort of thing. It really makes me sick to my stomach:mad: :mad: ....I know you just wanted to let people know this does go on, sorry I just had to rant:yell: russte

heidiho
July 18th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I totally understand,think it is good to get it out there so more people know this is going on in this crappy society..

mummummum
July 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I understand Russte and I too shy away from this kind of heartache...

It's frightening and horrifying to think how violent we have become as people. But if we don't know about it, we can't fight against it and remove this cancer from our souls.

I only wish these articles include a "how to fight back" strategy so that the average person reading the news knew who to write or call or send money too as needed.

heidiho
July 18th, 2007, 08:48 PM
There was a video on cnn about it,so i clicked on it,alls isaw was some people in a bedroom with a pb,then i heard them say the woman behind the camera was the guys wife video taping them getting the dog ready for it,that was enough for me,really is horrifying,and i am not sure myself why i read that s***.But i do think i am about done or i am gonna drive myself crazy because it does really get to me to the point where my bf asks me why do i read this crap..I am thinking of trying a week without tv or internet news.It really is to much anymore.

russte
July 19th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I hope the man that is responsible for this horrific crime goes to jail forever, what a loser::loser: I can imagine what will become of the dogs, poor things.:sad: Makes you ashamed of the human race, no other animal would put one against the other. russte:frown:

twodogsandacat
July 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I have been following this case since it broke and all I can say is that thank god Bush signed HR 137/S 261—Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act of 2007 into law in May. This allowed the feds to step up which considering the foot dragging of the local prosecutor was the best thing that could have happened. I hung my head when the local proscuter was the one that first played the race card. The chances of this guy taking on Vick were slim but when the feds became involved a real investigation was finally launched.

According to ESPN.com columnist Lester Munson, "Vick is in real trouble.

"He is up against the might and majesty of the U.S. government with all of its agents, all of its investigative techniques, and all of its skilled prosecutors," Munson writes.

"If he has any doubts about the power and skill of the forces arrayed against him, he can call Scooter Libby, former chief of staff to Vice President Cheney, or he can call Lord Conrad Black, the disgraced media mogul now facing time in a federal penitentiary. If he still isn't convinced, he can call Jeff Skilling, the zillionaire Enron CEO who is now residing in a federal pen.

"All three thought they could explain their way out from under federal charges. And all three were convicted. Vick can, and probably will, hire some of America's best defense lawyers, but they will face a serious battle."
SOURCE: http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/18/vickmedia_0719.html

As much as it is painful to read USA Today (http://wap.usatoday.com/news.jsp?key=650078) says it best:

No matter how Michael Vick's indictment on charges of operating a dogfighting ring is resolved in court, allegations against the NFL star have forced mainstream America to confront the grisly image of canine death matches.

want4rain
July 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
allegations against the NFL star have forced mainstream America to confront the grisly image of canine death matches.

:yell: mainstream America loves it!!!! the insanity of it!! dog fights have always been there. they always will. the only thing thats different NOW is its *cool*.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :rip:

there really is no animal quite like the human animal. :frown:

-ashley

want4rain
July 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
sorry, i dont mean to be so despairing about it. just seems to hit home too often. i dont understand how humanity can fly out of a persons mind and just stay gone. its one thing to read of a single person doing terrible things but this epidemic dog fighting thing is HUGE. do people forget that this is a life? a dog is your greatest companion. while a dog is a great source of entertainment... it shbouldnt be at the cost of their hide but maybe a tennis ball or chicken carcass.

-ashley