Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

female things

gail52
July 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Got a new little kitty about a month ago Sofie is having her female thing, I have to get her fixed but this happened first, how long does it last a week or more or less? all my other cats were fixed so im clueless thanks gail:sick:

rainbow
July 19th, 2007, 12:59 AM
It lasts about a week but she will come into heat again very quickly over and over again until she is spayed or becomes pregnant. You can get her spayed when she is in heat but it may cost a little more.

Dr Lee
July 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cats are induced ovulators; meaning, they can go into heat whenever they want! Exposure to males can often induce heat and some hardly ever go into heat. Then again as rainbow mentioned, some seem to never be out of heat! When she seems out of heat, I would get her spayed. In heat spaying is less risky than with dogs; but when we are dealing with our family members, any additional risk, regardless of how small, should be avoided.

Good luck:pawprint:

LavenderRott
July 20th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Cats are induced ovulators; meaning, they can go into heat whenever they want! Exposure to males can often induce heat and some hardly ever go into heat. Then again as rainbow mentioned, some seem to never be out of heat! When she seems out of heat, I would get her spayed. In heat spaying is less risky than with dogs; but when we are dealing with our family members, any additional risk, regardless of how small, should be avoided.

Good luck:pawprint:

Wow! I didn't know that!!

Thank you!

Now - can you explain to me why every female cat I have ever had is the type that is constantly in heat until spayed? :D

mummummum
July 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Me either ! Maybe someone could do a piece for the Encyclopedia about spaying and neutering. Given the huge feral population, I am particularly interested in the earliest age a cat can be speutered.