Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A rescue that declaws cats

Love4himies
July 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I am not sure what to think about a Rescue that declaws their cats before allowing them to be adopted.

I contacted a lady who mostly rescues dogs, but has a cat on hand. I called her about it because it is declawed and my parents are looking to adopt a cat who is declawed. I assumed the previous owners had the cat declawed, but she told me she had it done when she had the cat spayed. I was shocked. This poor kitty was found in a home whose owner had died about 14 days before discovery.

I assure you that I do not have the same view as my parents about declawing.

How do others feel about a rescue organization who declaws? and what questions should I be asking about health issues due to this cat being without water and food for this length of time?

chico2
July 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
You probaly know most of us here are 150% against this cruel practice and would never dream of mutilating a cat.
So,IMO this is not what a good rescue should do,I pity any cat beeing"rescued"by them.
There are always stray declawed cats available at rescues and HS,cats who were declawed and dumped by their owners,your parents should check out Petfinder.

Love4himies
July 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I found this rescue on Petfinder. I was so shocked when she told me she had the declawing done. I am going to visit with the poor kitty tomorrow to find out if her personality will fit into what my parents are looking for.

Although they like their kitties declawed, they take extremely good care of their cats. They do treat them like their children.

Frenchy
July 18th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Love4himies , as long as your parents adopt a cat that's already declaw. Please don't let them adopt one and have the surgery later. :frown:

I don't think too many cat rescues do this , I don't know any here that would do this , spay / neuter : yes , declaw : no.

Love4himies
July 19th, 2007, 07:35 AM
You read my mind, Frenchy, that is why I am looking for one that is already declawed.

I don't often openly disagree with my parents, but I did tell them what I thought about declawing, she wasn't happy with me.

Frenchy
July 19th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I don't often openly disagree with my parents, but I did tell them what I thought about declawing, she wasn't happy with me.

Sometimes it's hard to make a point with family. Maybe if you explain to your mom , and if you can find some pictures of it over the internet and show her how it's done (it's extremely gross) she would understand better.

My big sister has 2 goldens , never takes any advice about the dogs from me.
I owned 3 goldens and fostered about 20 , but still, she doesn't need my advices :rolleyes: :shrug:

Love4himies
July 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the advice, think I will take it.

CyberKitten
July 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I cannot imagine a rescue that declaws- that makes no sense to me and that is not a rescue ion my definition!! I can understand if they rescued cats already declawed by bad or unknowledgable owners but to actually do it. Gawd, that is one of the worst things I have heard uin a while!!

rainbow
July 21st, 2007, 01:06 AM
You would think that a rescue would know how inhumane declawing is. :eek: :sad:

LL1
July 21st, 2007, 09:48 AM
It sounds like a dog rescue that happens to have a cat,I think some dog rescues may not know anything about cats or declawing and the vet may have said it was a good idea and would make the cat more adoptable.Mind you,there are also rescues that dock and crop dogs.I would ask why they declawed.

kiara
July 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM
It is very unlikely that the cat has been without food and water for 14 days and is still alive??? I would find this cat "unadoptable", because it is likely to develop serious problems later in life. And lots of vet visits and $$$ spent. This woman sounds like she doesn't know what she is doing and I would question her credibility. Ask around and find out more about her. (As far as her rescuing has been). Most rescue groups are highly opposed to declawing cats because we find it very cruel. Many declawed cats are abandoned and this is how rescue groups get them. Please don't judge all rescue groups by this woman. Rescuing and declawing at the same time does not make any sense to me.

NoahGrey
July 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=kiara;454688]It is very unlikely that the cat has been without food and water for 14 days and is still alive??? QUOTE]

Cats can live longer then 2 weeks without food. Trust me,(as an Animal Control Officer) I have picked up stray cats that were a rack of bones and I mean bones. It had been ages since they have had anything to eat. They were of of course in bad shape. It's sad to see, some make it, while others that I have picked up, had to be PTS because they were to far gone. At least, they were humanely PTS.

And yes, our cats that we have here that are declawed come in as a surrender or they are strays that are declawed. Our Humane Society is oppsed to declawing and encourage the public not to do so. I believe that all Humane Societies are oppsed to declawing.

ACO22

janmadd
July 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
A rescue that encourages declawing should be shut down! Show them this website http://community-2.webtv.net/zuzu22/STOPDECLAWCOM/

janmadd
July 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Can you please tell me the name of this rescue?

Love4himies
July 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Janmadd, not sure if I am allowed to give the name of the Rescue. Will PM Marko.

All bloodwork came back OK.

I met this kitty is and she is adorable and needs a quiet home.

LL1, you are right, she does not generally rescue cats but was asked by a friend to do it. I spoke to her about declawing and let her know what I thought and her response was that she has had many cats returned to her because of clawing furniture and the shuffling between homes has upset the cats more than declawing.

My response was the new owners did not have the appropriate cat stands to meet the natural needs of the cats and new cat owners need to be educated and screened before adoption. Didn't win any popularity contests with her.

I have had cats all my life and have never had a cat ruin any piece of furniture.

chico2
July 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM
L4H,well:laughing: my cats have ruined a few sofas in my lifetime,until we bought leather,not very good for sharpening claws.
My 3 cats now are really good,they use their posts and all their other stuff.
My motto is"cats come with claws,you don't like it,get an aquarium":laughing:
My vet had a beautiful orange kitten up for adoption,dumped by the owners,I touched his paw as he was reaching out through the cage.
The feeling of his clawless paw almost made me ill:sad:

Love4himies
July 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM
My vet had a beautiful orange kitten up for adoption,dumped by the owners,I touched his paw as he was reaching out through the cage.
The feeling of his clawless paw almost made me ill:sad:

I feel the same way. It is just not natural.