Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

After Spaying, swelling up...help!

SaraGeorge
July 18th, 2007, 10:59 AM
My little Sara had a spay surgery last Friday and now her left side of where about her stitching is (around mid belly) swelling up. Is this normal after spaying? Never had a female dog before....Sara is eating fine, full energy (too much energy!) and no new symptoms.

I booked an appoint. with our vet tomorrow but it wil be nice to hear if this is something expected after the surgery.

Thank you.

SaraGeorge

Hunter's_owner
July 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM
If it looks red and swollen, it may be infected. Best to get it checked by the vet for sure.

Keep us posted !

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM
a liitle swelling is normal its a wound after all but unless its really red and sore she'll be ok the vet will certainly know when he sees her

SaraGeorge
July 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Just got back from the vet's office. Nothing serious just fluid build up and should go down soon. Vet had to stick a needle to her belly to drain some of the fluid... ooouch!!!! Sara is now on antibiotic for a week.
I guess this is a common problem with spaying.....

Thank you all.

SaraGeorge

bendyfoot
July 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Aw, poor her...Jaida knows about fluid buildup all too well. Yep, this can happen with any kind of surgery, especially ones where something is removed. She'll be fine. Just keep an eye on it for more buildup...it needs to stay "dry" in there so healing can happen.

Lukka'sma
July 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Hope Sara is feeling better real soon