Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Ate Bit of Brownie

cfitz387
July 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Ah.. I left my dogs unattended for a couple minutes. Just in the house. I was around but just in another room.. I forgot that there was a tray of brownies on the stove. When I did remember I went to make sure they hadn't gotten into them, but sure enough.. at least one of them did. I don't think she ate a full brownie (and now I'm trying to rack my brain and remember if there were more than the 4 that were there. I'm fairly positive there weren't).. but she ate a bit out of two. Not a whole one. She seems fine right now and it's been about 30 minutes. She's probably about 40 pounds.. and almost 3 years old. How long should I wait to see if she has any symptoms? Like.. after an hour would it be safe in assuming that she's alright? Or.. I don't know. :confused:

papillonmama
July 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I honestly couldn't say, but I hope your dogs are alright.

Keep us posted

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM
see dogownersdigest.com for an article on that sounds like it shouldnt be too serious is it was a small amount

How Much Chocolate Is Deadly?
If a 50-pound dog eats a teaspoonful of milk chocolate, it's not going to cause serious problems. However, if that same dog gorges himself on a two-layer chocolate cake, his stomach will feel more than upset and soon it's likely he'll be vomiting or experiencing diarrhea.

To answer the question "How much is too much" is not simple. The health and age of your dog must be considered. Obviously if your dog is aged and not in top shape, his reaction to a plate of chocolate is going to be different from a young healthy dog of the same weight.

Another fact that must be considered is this: Not all chocolate is the same. Some has a small amount of theobromine; another type has a large amount and still another contains an amount that is somewhere in between. The quantity has a relationship with the weight of your dog. Small dogs can be poisoned, it is easy to understand, from smaller amounts of theobromine than large dogs.

Which chocolate is the safest, relatively speaking? White chocolate. It has the least amount of theobromine: 1 mg per ounce. Far on the other side of the spectrum is baking chocolate, which has a huge 450 mg of theobromine per ounce!

Here are a few other chocolates for you to ponder: hot chocolate, 12 mg of theobromine per ounce; milk chocolate, 60 mg/oz; and up there near baking chocolate: semi-sweet chocolate with 260 mg/oz.

You might try using this to remember these chocolates from least to most toxic: What Happy Moose Says

cfitz387
July 18th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Thank you. :-) That eases my mind a little. I'll just keep an eye on them today..

cfitz387
July 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Yep.. They're just fine. Thanks so much for your help. :D

mummummum
July 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Some dogs are extremely sensitive while for others it would take a whack of chocolate. It's good to be concerned and attentive all the same. Glad to hear your dawg is fine.