Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update!Football player is in trouble for dogfighting.

heidiho
July 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/17/vick.indicted.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

badger
July 17th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Yes, I saw that. Total low-life. I hope they lock him up.

heidiho
July 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM
You know he has $$,so it cant be for that,he must just be a real low life to be involved or running something that sick,i hope he gets a few years myself...jerk off,loser

want4rain
July 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
we follow college football.... thats a graduate of the college Chris went to. his little brother was also *quite* the law abiding citizen. *rolls eyes* i dont know if they will lock him up but fully expect people to start boycotting their games. there is already a great deal of talk about it.

-ashley

want4rain
July 17th, 2007, 10:32 PM
also, i dont know what the deal is here in the US but it seems pitbull fighting is huge. my mother thought she found a home for hers but within a few days she was getting pictures back of him in his happy new home with huge gashes from fighting another dog. just some folks down the road... no big dog fighting circle... its epidemic. whats wrong with people???

-ashley

mastifflover
July 18th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I hope your mom called animal control and the cops. They should throw there sad a$$es in jail and kick him off the team. But we all know nothing will probably happen to him. It is too bad these athletes are treated like idols.

Love4himies
July 18th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I am so disgusted with the human race:sad: . And we call ourselves civilized?

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2007, 09:24 AM
[ citizen. *rolls eyes* i dont know if they will lock him up but fully expect people to start boycotting their games. there is already a great deal of talk about it.

if he is found guilty its a felony in the states so thers a good cahnce they will

I think if he is found guilty the judge should make him fund the biggest no kill shelter they can make .

I am never really suorised on athelete,s antics most of them are just asshats
with way too much money

Love4himies
July 18th, 2007, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Hall;453405
I think if he is found guilty the judge should make him fund the biggest no kill shelter they can make .

I am never really suorised on athelete,s antics most of them are just asshats
with way too much money[/QUOTE]

Good idea Jim, plus do regular volunteer work there, long hours during the football season lol., no wait a minute, he will need to make millions to fund this place so I guess he will have to continue to play.

want4rain
July 18th, 2007, 11:35 AM
there are some athletes who are fully aware of theirr power and do wonderful things with their money. there are others who are fully aware of their power and it goes to their heads and they do terrible things with their money/power.

the cynic i am, i dont have much faith in him being punished for this but i do have faith in the people who feel strongly about it making a difference.

the poor Hokies. all of this marring their good name. first Marcus Vic and his many issues- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Vick and then the shooting.... now Michael.

Hokie Hope indeed. :(

-ashley

ancientgirl
July 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
You know he has $$,so it cant be for that,he must just be a real low life to be involved or running something that sick,i hope he gets a few years myself...jerk off,loser

I'll go delete my thread, I didn't know you had posted the same thing. I just saw it. This guy deserves to have the same cruelties done to him!

clm
July 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM
This guy is a real piece of work. I heard about it on the radio on my way in to work this morning. What a horrible existence those poor dogs must have had.

Cindy

ChancesMom
July 19th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I have been following this story for a while....

During one of the work outs, a couple of players were asked about Vick and dog fighting... one player said that he didn't think that dog fighting was any big deal... and that in the south you could drive down any road you wanted and find a fight anywhere...

The next day that player came out and said something to the effect that he wasn't saying that it was OK to have dog fights, but just that they were everywhere in the south... and that he apologized because he didn't realize how much people could love their pets and how upset they would be about his statement.

My guess is that it goes a lot deeper than Vick and that some of his fellow team mates and players on other teams are probably also involved to some extent.

I could be wrong... but the whole tone of any interview I saw didn't seem like anyone was shocked or disgusted... it was like they were talking about lawn care or some other mundane everyday normal thing...

Also, guys in a locker room are close... They talk a lot... and you just know that if someone is involved in this that it has to come up... How could every person that heard about this stay quiet? I mean come on! It isn't like a guy talking about doing something stupid that was illegal but nonsense that you could just overlook... This is a huge deal!

Also Vick has stated the entire time that he knew nothing that was going on on his property and blamed it on his relatives... Nice guy!

But... Sports Illustrated uncovered a story that they did on him a few years back when he said that he was looking into breading pit bulls.

I say, douse him with water and electrocute him. :mad:

rainbow
July 19th, 2007, 03:01 AM
That is just sickening. :yuck: Those poor dogs.....what is going to happen to them now? :sad:

want4rain
July 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
That is just sickening. :yuck: Those poor dogs.....what is going to happen to them now? :sad:

:( i dont know. here 'in the south' there has been a big push for the Pitts For Pulling program(local). i dont know anyone who fights but from what i understand it really is a big problem. even if folks arent part of big rings they fight 'friends' dogs. *sigh* its been very hard for law enforcement to get a grip on it. :sad: its a fad. what kind of fad is that??? its like blasting your music so it not only blows out YOUR hearing but anyone else within 500 yards of you. its just the cool thing now to watch your dog rip another dog to pieces and bet on it.

-ashley

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM
It's disgusting. They should all be taken aside and be made to fight each other in the same manner they did to those poor dogs.

These are less than humans if you ask me. How can you take pleasure in being involved in something like that?

Jim Hall
July 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM
cnn running a story on dog fighting

happycats
July 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM
It's sad and horrible, and the NFL should suspend him! Even the police suspend their own, but I guess Vick is better then a cop!!

I say strap a steak to his bare a$$ and throw him in the ring with a bunch of his hungry dogs!!!:evil:

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, this is about money. And how much he can still make for his team. That's all these teams care about. If I was one of his teammates, I'd refuse to even be in the same room with him.

Frenchy
July 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM
The next day that player came out and said something to the effect that he wasn't saying that it was OK to have dog fights, but just that they were everywhere in the south... and that he apologized because he didn't realize how much people could love their pets and how upset they would be about his statement.

Wow , didn't realize how much people love their pets....:confused:

heidiho
July 19th, 2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19836601/site/newsweek/page/0/

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
It just gets worse and worse. Dangling live cats? Raping female pit bulls?

I feel the bile rising in my throat.

heidiho
July 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Unbelieveable,people suck,i honestly am just getting to the point where people just make me sick,i was talking to mark about how much time i spend hanging with roxy and bob and momma,and i know it probably isnt what some people would consider normal,but i have to say they bring me more happiness then any human i know,i am not into going out to bars anymore,so if i am not at work or at the beach,i love love hanging out and watching the crazy **** they do.Ok that was kind of off track,bottom line is this world is turning into something really really ugly..

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Unbelieveable,people suck,i honestly am just getting to the point where people just make me sick,i was talking to mark about how much time i spend hanging with roxy and bob and momma,and i know it probably isnt what some people would consider normal,but i have to say they bring me more happiness then any human i know,i am not into going out to bars anymore,so if i am not at work or at the beach,i love love hanging out and watching the crazy **** they do.Ok that was kind of off track,bottom line is this world is turning into something really really ugly..

My dear, I'm totally with you. I don't go out to bars, or socialize other than with a few friends. Why going to Sunday matinees is the most I do, and the book release party tomorrow is the first time I've been actually out on an evening event in AGES! I love being home with my kitties. They make me feel happy, and I love watching them.

People are scary, and they are getting scarier by the day.

Not just because of what they do to animals, but what they do to each other.

No, I'll stick with my cats keeping me company thanks.

heidiho
July 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I forgot about movies,yeah if a good horror flick comes out i will usually go on a saturday or sunday and see it,alone,cause mark hates them,but i am a loner type anyway.And until i meet someone who can make me laugh,smile and just plain relax me like my cats do,i will continue being the CRAZY CAT LADY i am becoming,OMG.:loser:

Rick C
July 19th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Express your displeasure with Nike at their e-mail of:

nike.canada@nike.com

I indicated I wouldn't be buying any more of their products until their endorsement of Vick was cancelled. If they get enough of these from Canada and the USA they will likely do something. Pet lovers are getting a letter writing campaign going so get on it!!!

Their reply from Nike Canada to myself was a lot more diplomatic than the replies I've seen to Nike USA. The reply to me:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Nike Canada.

Nike is concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations made against Michael Vick and we consider any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent. We do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen, therefore, we have not terminated our relationship. We have however made the decision to suspend the release of the Zoom Vick V and related marketing communications. Nike will continue to monitor the situation closely and have no further comment at this time.

Once again, thank you for contacting us here at Nike!

E-mail them and get on their case. Numbers count.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

dmc123
July 19th, 2007, 05:39 PM
It is disgusting! Here is a link to the Humane society's petition to get Michael Vick suspended, if you are interested.

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/US_2007_dogfighting_nfl2?rk=LdNiqiM1Nbs8W

Diane

heidiho
July 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I sent e mail and called i did get through calling to,spoke to some lady

badger
July 19th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks Ric and DMC. Done.

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I did both. I really hope they don't just allow this poor excuse for a human to get away with this.

joeysmama
July 19th, 2007, 08:20 PM
It may have been mentioned here, and I know I read it in Ancient Girls thread in the OT forum, but someone said (sorry I can't remember who) that the NFL probably won't even sanction him !!!!:mad:

Shouldn't they have a rule against allowing criminals to play? I haven't read or watched any news today because yesterday I was reading a news website and there was a story about a man in Florida who had a fight with his girlfriend and threw her in the trunk of his car and then tossed her 5 year old daughter to alligators to be eaten alive.

I'm just sick over all of this !!!

My husband came home upset over the Vick case and was telling me some details and I made him stop. And I haven't read the articles yet either. I just need to collect myself or something. You know when you just feel like you can't take it ?????

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 08:24 PM
If you haven't read the article, don't, I found it disturbing and wish I hadn't read it. I did read that the NFL said they wouldn't do anything until there was a ruling.

Basically, they want to make their money and unless they haul this guy off to jail he's apparently still going to play on their team.

It's disgusting! It's to the point where you are better off living in ignorance and not reading any news!

ChancesMom
July 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I just saw another news report on this today where one of the reporters made a disturbing comment...

Please read here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42772

Thanks. :pawprint:

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
What a total moron! Siriously, I just don't get it. What is it with these people?

So its okay to treat them like that because they are animals?

Idiot.

heidiho
July 19th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I said the same thing,i need to go a week with no newspaper,no internet news & no tv news,it is just to much to take anymore,i am overloading myself to the point of losing it...I am thankful to live on an island,now i just need to start living the island way.

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
You've got the right idea.

I'm going to the book release tomorrow, and I'll enjoy Order before. Then Saturday my dad is helping me move some furniture to my new place, and then I'm on lock down for the rest of the weekend.

I can't take any more news like this. It's like people don't care anymore.

heidiho
July 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I dont think they do,except for $$$$$$.That is what it seems to be about.I cant wait to get home and give roxy a huge kiss and hug...

Frenchy
July 19th, 2007, 09:09 PM
It is disgusting! Here is a link to the Humane society's petition to get Michael Vick suspended, if you are interested.

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/US_2007_dogfighting_nfl2?rk=LdNiqiM1Nbs8W

Diane

If this doesn't work , I don't know what will ! I got this link by 4 different people / groups only this afternoon. I send it to as many people I could. So this is BIG , sure hope it works. :fingerscr

dmc123
July 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks frenchy, I have sent to some also.....hope it does help!

Frenchy
July 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks frenchy, I have sent to some also.....hope it does help!

It's all over the internet , I really think it will make a difference :pray:

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 09:25 PM
So I sent an email to that reporter. What an idiot. Here's what was said:

This is my original email to this tool:

“The only thing about the Michael Vick case that wouldn't make people cringe is that it involves pit bulls which people do not want to be around.”

Are these your words? So in your mind its okay for that animal, and I refer to Vick when I say this, to do what he did simply because they were against a dog breed some people are afraid of?

Those dogs aren’t violent because it is inbred in them; they are violent because ignorant people, you obviously being one of them, don’t understand how to treat an animal.

I think the people who need to have thrown water on and electrocuted is people who feel its okay to treat a defenseless creature in that manner. Yes, I called a Pit Bull defenseless, because they are the ones being tied up, beaten, being made to fight and having to live with all kind of atrocities.

What if it were a child being treated like that? Would you feel differently?

Okay, here is his response:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Nuria -- Figured I would save us both some time and send along an earlier response that I sent to someone who shares your feelings. Can't say I agree, but that's what makes the world go 'round. Have to say, anyone with a choice would not live next to someone who owned a pit bull. Especially if they have children. Just the way it is....kpd

----- Forwarded by Kevin P Dupont/Editorial/GLOBE on 07/19/2007 08:59 PM -----

Kevin P Dupont/Editorial/GLOBE

07/19/2007 08:27 PM
To
Deanna <>

cc
arcticsnowdogs@comcast.net

Subject
Re: Kevin Duponts comment on Pit Bulls during 10.0 was callous.Link

Deanna -- Though I understand your point and sentiment, and appreciate your writing, I'll stand by my point. If I were to stand on a street corner with a pit bull on leash, I am willing to bet passersby would be repulsed, shocked, and steer clear of said street corner. MOST people are pit pull-phobic. And based on countless news reports, which too often detail the the bloody work of these pets, I don't blame them.
However, I maintain you have a right to find a place in your heart for your pit bull of choice. But frankly, I like my cavalier spaniel much better.
Again, thanks for taking the time to write.

-- kevin

Deanna <t>

07/19/2007 08:00 PM
To
dupont@globe.com

cc
ryan@globe.com

Subject
Kevin Duponts comment on Pit Bulls during 10.0 was callous.

He sent me his response to someone else. Wow, what a journalist. Here is the last thing I said to him.

Obviously you think its all right for this man to have treated those animals the way he did. There is no excuse to think that way, whether you are afraid of that dog or not.

I feel sorry for people like you. And this concludes my conversation. I don’t want to spend any more time on a person like you.

I then proceeded to block him from my email, because quite frankly, I'm not going to waste my time with this idiot. He doesn't care.

Frenchy
July 19th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Wow , they both suck ! :mad:

heidiho
July 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
People are that way cause of people like this **ddamn football player that takes them and breeds them to be this way.I am done,i have had about all i can take,i sent out emails to everyone i know,sent my letter to the hs.And now i read this and want to email this ass hole,and i just dont have it in me to handle any more frustration.I dont think i have ever been to this point of disgust with the human race.

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I agree, I'm almost ashamed to be part of the human race.

But I've done what I was going to do. Right now, I'm going to keep packing, and play with my kitties.:cat:

heidiho
July 19th, 2007, 09:39 PM
You said it..Goodnight to all,roxy here i come.

dmc123
July 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
ancientgirl, don't be ashamed of being part of the human race, all humans aren't like them! Look at all these pets.ca members who are sick from this....we are human...and good ones.

Don't consider yourself part of those that don't care for other beings.

Diane

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2007, 09:44 PM
ancientgirl, don't be ashamed of being part of the human race, all humans aren't like them! Look at all these pets.ca members who are sick from this....we are human...and good ones.

Don't consider yourself part of those that don't care for other beings.

Diane

You are right. There are a lot of us out there, who do our part to help keep our little ones safe and loved. It's nice to be among a group of people who find this kind of behavior beyond horrible.

dmc123
July 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM
amen to that!

want4rain
July 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM
well before you all go off and hate the entire human race for the evil vile deeds of a few people.... remember, blame the deed, not the breed. there are so many evil and terrible people in the world but if your only source of information abotu the rest of the world is the news than you need to do some serious reevaluation of your media.

go read through your encyclopedias, go get lost in Wiki, go on vacation.... find a local group of dog walkers or stay at home moms... you cant blame a handful of people because your reclusive habits keep you away from the POSITIVE side of humanity.

there are good people in the world, there are MORE good people in the world than bad ones.

remember this when it gets to be too much. i have to try really hard to not freak out and buy my goat hut in Wyoming to live with my cats, dog and some chickens and a donkey. i NEED to know the good things.... and it sounds like you guys do too. go read through Jaidas thread.

-ashley

ChancesMom
July 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
ancient,

That was his reply to me!

I am Deanna.

It looks like he added an extra jab to the reply that he sent to you... Heck, now that I know how he really feels, maybe I will send along my address so he never decides to move into my neighborhood... :laughing:

Thank you for taking the time to write.

I also put a link in the pit bull area as the podcast for the show should be up tomorrow so that you can see or hear (depending on which you prefer, if you do) what he said.

Thanks again! :pawprint:

clm
July 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Well, this lowlife has been getting some nasty press all over, every station I've heard or watched has been slamming this guy. The NFL and the Falcons may say he can keep playing, but if they get enough heat about it, won't be in their best interest to let him play. Too bad whether he plays or not, a multi millionaire he'll be. :frown:

Cindy

Shaykeija
July 19th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I just signed a petition against this piece of crap. They had something on TV tonight on how he had some of those dogs killed. Drowning, hanging, shot and in one instance, had the dog wet down and electrocuted. What a useless waste of human skin.....

rainbow
July 20th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Rick and Diane.....thank you both for posting the links. I've signed both and forwarded to everyone I know.

ancientgirl
July 20th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Chances Mom, that guy was a total jerk. I just blocked him from my email. I'm not interested in his warped reasoning.

And everyone else, you are right. There are good people out there, and I can't throw the baby out with the bathwater as they say.

badger
July 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I watched the news last night with my hands ready to cover my eyes (which they did, several times). Am I right that this all happened at his house, in his 'compound', under his direction? This man should be in a CELL somewhere.

Rick C
July 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
“The only thing about the Michael Vick case that wouldn't make people cringe is that it involves pit bulls which people do not want to be around.” - Kevin Paul Dupont

Minor sidebar note about Dupont . . . . hockey fans might be familiar with him as he's in the Hockey Hall Of Fame for his quarter century of coverage of the Boston Bruins of the NHL. . . . . great columnist on the hockey side, maybe not so bright on the topic of dogs.

Here's a more sympathetic Bob Ryan column in the Boston Globe today:

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/07/19/vick_accusations_sickening/

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

ancientgirl
July 20th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Excellent article. I'm glad this guy put had the nuts to openly call this situation out and not try to justify it by saying its only pit bulls and most people would be wary of them anyway.

Thanks for posting this. It made me feel good to know that there are voices out there, loud voices calling for punishment.

And six years is too short a time. I'm wondering, I know child molesters are not treated well in prison. I've heard this on every show I've seen about prison documentaries. I wonder if they feel the same way about people who are cruel to defenseless animals. You know, I sure hope they do!

Love4himies
July 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Done. We must speak out. Staying silent will not change anything!!

heidiho
July 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/20/vick.dogfighting/index.html

Rick C
July 20th, 2007, 03:56 PM
He's toxic waste now.

It's just a matter of when the most opportune moments arrive for business decisions to be made at the NFL, Atlanta Falcons and NIKE.

For the Falcons and NIKE, you can see there is some strategy involved in extricating themselves from their relationships at the least amount of cost . . . . the Falcons in particular have to be wary of crippling their team and hurting their fans with a long-term salary cap hit.

For the NFL, there is no excuse. The commissioner has wide discretionary powers in this and should suspend Vick immediately. It's a terrible PR decision by the commissioner not to have done so already.

NIKE is likely waiting for a conviction to give them the legal grounds to say goodbye without risk of blowback. . . . . but they'll suffer a boycott and potential long damage as their current risk.

Whatever . . . . he's done with all of those organizations eventually.

It would be fair to say that torturing dogs wasn't worth what it's going to cost him.

Being a Canadian and not being an NFL fan - if they don't wear skates I'm probably not paying attention - I actually hadn't heard of the guy before this . . . . . my interest lies in the animal welfare issues and the pyschology of the whole thing, why he did it, how people are reacting, how organizations are reacting. It's all very interesting . . . . . and heart-breaking.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

ancientgirl
July 20th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Yes, I agree that the most horrible places in hell, should be reserved for people who treat animals like that!

ancientgirl
July 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM
It's a disgusting practice and shameful.

His name is mud for sure. I hope the only job he can ever get after this is cleaning out portable toilets.

heidiho
July 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Why he did it!!!!!! Cause he is a sick ******* with to much $$.What was it 10 year 130 million dollar contract.There are some things i want to say that i have noticed,but i would be considered racist which i dont think i am,but with this pitbull fighting stuff there is one thing that does stand out.

heidiho
July 20th, 2007, 04:33 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7039418?MSNHPHMA

ChancesMom
July 20th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Hi!

I was able to get a link of the podcast of the show yesterday in case anyone wants to hear exactly what he said.

I posted it here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=454340#post454340

and quoted what I posted below to make it easier for you.

The podcast was posted today and I listed to it a few times to get the wording more precise.

To hear what he said, go here:

http://graphics.boston.com/sports/nesn/podcasts/globe10_071907.mp3

It is Question#7 and is about 3/4 of the way through the podcast. You can fast forward through it once it loads...

As close to his exact words as I can pull from the tape as he kind of stutters/talks fast in parts were, "The only thing that wouldn't revolt people is the whole pit bull thing. You know whenever I even hear the name you say oh ya ya I can't be around it. but what were they doing, they were electrocuting them..."

Although after hearing it one time earlier I could not get it exactly right, I think that I came pretty close in meaning... used cringed instead of revolt...

And yes, Bob Ryan was totally sympathetic for the dogs involved and was really repulsed by the whole thing. I think that you lose something in the audio as you cannot see the body language... as Bob Ryan was really animated when he was speaking of the atrocities of this case when Kevin Dupont butted in with his "lovely and appropriate" comment. :rolleyes:

Take care.

ancientgirl
July 20th, 2007, 05:43 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7039418?MSNHPHMA

His good name is at stake. Also, allowing Vick to concentrate on his court case keeps him off the field, which ultimately benefits the NFL.

His good name is at stake? Is this columnist kidding? This guy has been trouble since he got into the sport! There is NO good name to be at stake!

heidiho
July 20th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I know pretty unbelieveable isnt it.

skeetsh00ter
July 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I read a post on the first page i believe that said dogfighting is a felony in the US. Unfortunately GA is one of only 2 states where it is only a misdemeanor. Even if he is convicted it won't be too serious (i don't know what the punishment is for a misdemeanor).

The good news is that I don't see him playing for the Falcons much longer. Everyone in Atl either loves vick or hates him, now this is comes out. All anyone has been talking about around here has been Vick and wanting him to be convicted/suspended from the NFL.

keep your fingers crossed.

joeysmama
July 21st, 2007, 12:47 AM
Well he was indicted by a grand jury. I can't imagine too many places that would let you keep your job after something like that happens.

Wasn't it not too many years ago when people worried about being role models and were held to high standards if they were in the public eye ?? Now it seems that some of these people are just horrible nasty brats.

LavenderRott
July 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM
I read a post on the first page i believe that said dogfighting is a felony in the US. Unfortunately GA is one of only 2 states where it is only a misdemeanor. Even if he is convicted it won't be too serious (i don't know what the punishment is for a misdemeanor).

The good news is that I don't see him playing for the Falcons much longer. Everyone in Atl either loves vick or hates him, now this is comes out. All anyone has been talking about around here has been Vick and wanting him to be convicted/suspended from the NFL.

keep your fingers crossed.

Actually, the only two States where dogfighting is a misdemeanor are Wyoming and Idaho. That is irrelevant anyway as Vick is currently facing FEDERAL charges and according to the FEDERAL government - dogfighting is a felony.

Federal Prosecuters have a nasty little habit of making sure they have a damn good case against someone before they indict and their conviction rate is currently running at about 95%.

I am very glad that this is a Federal case being handled by Federal prosecutors and Federal investigators. This whole thing came to light when local law enforcement went to Vick's property to arrest a cousin on drug charges. Had the local law enforcement community been left alone to deal with this - it would have been swept under the rug. The local D.A. had a search warrant for the same property that the Feds searched but he declined to serve it - claiming lack of man power! Of course - now that the Feds have done all the work - you can expect that the local D.A. will be asking the local Grand Jury to indict Vick when they come into session on the 24th of this month.

skeetsh00ter
July 21st, 2007, 02:24 AM
yeah, my bad about those facts. I was getting things confused. It's still not a felony in GA to breed a dog for fighting or attend a dog fight as it is in some other states. But I guess none of that even matters since it happened in Virginia and is now a Federal case.

thanks for the correction LavenderRott.

chico2
July 21st, 2007, 08:28 AM
Whether these dogs are Goldens or Am-Staffs,this is a horrific case of animal-cruelty,done by people who take sadistic pleasure in seeing animals bleed.:evil:
I don't know who this person is,I am not interested in football,but I am hoping,because sportsfigures are often heroes to kids,the NFL,Nike and the Feds will do the right thing.
With enough people screaming for justice for these poor animals:fingerscr :fingerscr hopefully MR VICK,will live to regret his evil deeds.
Please keep us posted on any new developments..

joeysmama
July 21st, 2007, 09:22 PM
My husband told me that Nike is pulling all ads featuring Vick.

babyrocky1
July 21st, 2007, 09:59 PM
heres another petition link http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/354020737
Not sure how much good these things do but it cant hurt.

ChancesMom
July 22nd, 2007, 02:13 AM
Thank you baby, I have signed both petitions I have seen listed here.

Take care. :pawprint:

mastifflover
July 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Signed and emailed to all my contacts

chico2
July 22nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
There was an itty-bitty little article in the Toonto Star yesterday,nothing about the killing of these poor animals,just that Vick is under investigation for "sponsoring"dog-fights.
Also they mentioned there were about 50 ANIMAL-ACTIVISTS protesting..
I hate it when,because we do not want animals tortured and abused,we are called animal-activists,it's almost like a four-letter word to some people:yell:
The Toronto Star is a chicken-poop paper for not writing the whole story:evil:

ChancesMom
July 23rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Chico,

I agree about animal-activists being a 4 letter word to some people!

I also do not think that a person has to be an animal-activists to protest about something so blatantly cruel and violent. In fact, every person should be protesting about this!

Animal cruelty, while cruel in itself on every level, often leads to "human cruelty."

A person who is willing to forcibly put an animal to death by pouring water on him and electrocuting him is snuffing out a life... a life that was not his to take. And I personally do not think it is that much of a stretch between doing that to a 60 pound dog or a 60 pound child...

If my opinions put me in the category of animal-activism, then I guess I must have joined when I wasn't looking... ;)

ancientgirl
July 23rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Chico,

I agree about animal-activists being a 4 letter word to some people!

I also do not think that a person has to be an animal-activists to protest about something so blatantly cruel and violent. In fact, every person should be protesting about this!

Animal cruelty, while cruel in itself on every level, often leads to "human cruelty."

A person who is willing to forcibly put an animal to death by pouring water on him and electrocuting him is snuffing out a life... a life that was not his to take. And I personally do not think it is that much of a stretch between doing that to a 60 pound dog or a 60 pound child...

If my opinions put me in the category of animal-activism, then I guess I must have joined when I wasn't looking... ;)

I agree with you 100%

It sickens me to see some people ignoring this simply because it happened to an animal. As if that's an excuse. Animals are precious living beings. We have to protect them, especially our pets.

babyrocky1
July 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
My husband told me that Nike is pulling all ads featuring Vick.I hope thats true, I saw a list somewhere of his sponsers, it was quite extensive! Ill try and find it again... People were being enouraged to express their concerns to the sponsers.. I think I know who they are but Id better make sure before I post.

dmc123
July 23rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
According to my email from the Humane Society:

"Thank you so much for urging the NFL to suspend Michael Vick. As of this writing, the league has inexplicably refused to take that step, but we are are keeping the pressure on.

I'm writing you now to update you on the latest developments and, most importantly, to ask you today to urge Nike to drop Michael Vick"

The link to tell Nike is here: https://community.hsus.org/campaign/US_2007_dogfighting_nike?qp_source=gaba7g

Diane

Frenchy
July 23rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
I heard a good comment today on the radio by a sport spokeman here in Montreal , he said : this guy SHOULD get the 5 years maximum jail time , in a cell , alone with several hungry Rottweilers.

I was glad that not all of them think this is not so bad just because the guy is a quaterback.

Jim Hall
July 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
from associated press

YORK - Michael Vick was ordered by commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday to stay away from the Atlanta Falcons' training camp until the league reviews the dogfighting charges against him.

ADVERTISEMENT

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

The NFL said Vick would still get his preseason pay and Goodell told the Falcons to withhold any disciplinary action of their own until the league's review was completed.

Frenchy
July 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
The NFL said Vick would still get his preseason pay

This is a joke. :mad: So he gets to stay home and still has money coming in :yell:

happycats
July 23rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
This is a joke. :mad: So he gets to stay home and still has money coming in :yell:

He should be made to donate all of it to abused animals!!! Sick F$%K I hope he gets the max and loses his job (But I guess if he didn't have the NFL, he woud just go into dog fighting full time!!!) :evil:

May he get what he deserves!!:mad:

chico2
July 24th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I read in todays Star,the Atlanta Falcons have told Vick to stay away from camp until further notice,also Nike is pulling the"Air Vick V"shoe from production.
As for him still getting paid,it's not like he is a grocery-clerk,he has a multi-multi million $$$ contract,a "star"player,it's going to take a BIG voice for the animals for him to get kicked off the NFL.
I also see PETA is involved,their record regarding pitties is not so great:evil:

ancientgirl
July 24th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Don't these people have moral's clauses in those contracts? Seriously, with the way these sports figures are walking around thinking they can do whatever they want, they should not be allowed to do these kinds of things and still make money.

Hit them where it counts, in their wallet!

I pray this guy never again. That money will be gone soon, people like to live large and when it's gone, he should never be allowed to make any kind of a living again and for that matter, should never ever be allowed to own so much as a mosquito for a pet!

Rick C
July 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM
The commissioner of the NFL has ordered Michael Vick to stay away from training camp.

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290515,00.html

He'll never play in the NFL again.

Cowperson

badger
July 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I think the league finally got the message that this is alot bigger than they imagined. I'm not crazy about Peta either, Chico, but if they threaten to mount a demo at every game where this creep plays, I'm happy.
Meanwhile, Vick doesn't get to strut and preen for the crowds, which is a BIG part of the ego trip he is on.
His hearing is on Thursday.

Rick, I hope you're right. Maybe this will galvanize the authorities to go after all the other bubbas who engage in this evil 'sport'.

chico2
July 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I read they picked up about 60 dogs from his property,incuding dog-fighting parafenila(sp?)it will be a little difficult for this moron to prove his innocence.
Badger,I agree,except PETA once said ALL pitties should be destroyed.

heidiho
July 24th, 2007, 09:15 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/24/vick.falcons/index.html

ancientgirl
July 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Contract or not, if he is finally convicted, he shouldn't be given a dime by any team. And quite frankly, I could care less what Vick says. No amount of apologies can make what he did go away or make things better.

It was wrong, and sorry isn't going to make things better.

Rick C
July 26th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Michael Vick pleads not guilty, trial Nov. 26 . . . . booed by hundreds entering and leaving the courthouse.

Linky

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070726.wsptvick26/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

ancientgirl
July 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM
He apologized to his mother? Did he throw water on her and electrocute her too?:loser:

I'm sorry, but I don't believe he didn't live in that home, or rarely visited.

Rick C
July 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Hahahahaha . . . . . what an idiot!!! He actually asked for a jury trial!!!

So long sucker.

The other amazing thing . . . . they ALL pleaded not guilty. Every one of the accused.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thank's Rick,I was looking for any update,I knew he was going to court today.
In a way it's good he pleaded not guilty and chose a jury-trial,otherwise he would have gotten off too easy...
So,interesting to see if he will be playing football up until November when his trial will start.

Lukka'sma
July 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Vick should be stoned to death, let's get this over with right now. It will be a travesty if he doesn't face prison time.
The penalty will be weak even if we're lucky and that barbarian serves time. I'll be repulsed if he gets something lame like probation or some weak ass fine for a guy who's worth 9 figures. He really should get something torturous like a stoning or being driven around chained to a car. However I'll settle for a good old fashioned hanging.
Michael Vick is a disgusting, pitiful example for a human being.

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Lukkasmom,I agree..I am not a violent person,but I'll throw the first rock in this case:evil: a sickening individual as are his sadistic cohorts:evil:

ancientgirl
July 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Vick should be stoned to death, let's get this over with right now. It will be a travesty if he doesn't face prison time.
The penalty will be weak even if we're lucky and that barbarian serves time. I'll be repulsed if he gets something lame like probation or some weak ass fine for a guy who's worth 9 figures. He really should get something torturous like a stoning or being driven around chained to a car. However I'll settle for a good old fashioned hanging.
Michael Vick is a disgusting, pitiful example for a human being.

9 figures

? Bah! He's not worth a penny!

Jim Hall
July 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM
from today's new york times

Vick Pleads Not Guilty in Dog Fighting Case
By CLIFTON BROWN
Published: July 27, 2007
RICHMOND, Va., July 26 - Michael Vick continued his fight to save his National Football League career, pleading not guilty Thursday to federal charges in the dog fighting case against him. A trial date was set for November 26.

Michael Vick, entering court Thursday, could face up to six years in jail and a $350,000 fine if convicted.

With animal rights protestors booing and holding various signs, Vick entered the federal courthouse in downtown Richmond, Va. Police blocked off several streets surrounding the courthouse and a police helicopter circled overhead. At least 25 television trucks were parked behind the building, as more than 100 reporters lined up hours before the afternoon hearing, waiting to be admitted into the courthouse.

Vick arrived shortly before 3 p.m. local time in a black sports utility vehicle, and boos were far louder than cheers as he showed no emotion and walked into the courthouse wearing a dark suit. When asked to enter his plea, Vick answered ”Not guilty”, as did three co-defendants - Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips, and Tony Taylor.

Vick, who had been considered one of the N

Lukka'sma
July 26th, 2007, 09:09 PM
9 figures

? Bah! He's not worth a penny!

This was referring to his monetary worth not his principles and integrity, we all know he is vacant in that category

CyberKitten
July 26th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Did anyone see Paula Zahn on CNN tonite - she talked about this case dog fighting - some of the scenes are pretty gruesome. I am used to blood and gore in an operating room but this was so awful when you knew these dogs - innocent beautiful dogs -were only going to die because of these horrible people. One reporter said 1 in 5 children enrolled in the Chicago school system is INVOLVED (not as a spectator either) in this business!! That just blew me away!!

Anyone on thew west coast will be able to see it later.

chico2
July 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM
It was also discussed on Larry King last night,present was Sir John(pittie)just laying around uninterested + a humane society rep and lawyers.
BSL was also discussed as something totally useless in preventing this sort of thing,crooks will still get away with with this horror and owners who love their dogs will pay the price.
What I understood,cruelty to animals is still a misdeamenor(sp?),but smuggling dogs across the border is a felony.
Bush implemented a law against dog-fighting,but it does not have an effect on Vicks case,since it happened before:evil:

ancientgirl
July 27th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Well that's one good thing Bush did. I can't believe that statistic about the kids! Are those the future serial killers of the world? How can a child even want to see something like that? Then again, how can a fully aware adult want to?

LavenderRott
July 27th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Well that's one good thing Bush did. I can't believe that statistic about the kids! Are those the future serial killers of the world? How can a child even want to see something like that? Then again, how can a fully aware adult want to?

My 9 year old son walked in the door just as they started showing the dog fighting part on Paula Zahn last night. He stood there, eyes glued to the television in horror. He watched about 2 minutes of the dog fight, came over to me, buried his head in my shoulder and cried. He was mortified to learn that children his age could possibly be involved in something so disgusting and horrific.

ancientgirl
July 27th, 2007, 10:26 AM
You have to wonder what kind of parents those kids have. I'm not saying that all the parents know their kids do this, but I'm wondering if they haven't instilled in their kids how precious life is, and that animals are creatures we need to take care of and help, not watch kill themselves.

Heck, I can't even watch some animals shows about animals in the wild. I have to turn away most of the time when they make their killing for food!

Lukka'sma
July 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Good site for T's and stuff
www.cafepress.com
and search Michael Vick

Lukka'sma
July 27th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Reebok International orders the immediate halt of all sales of Michael Vick T-shirts
Awesome. I would love to see Ebay ban sales of his stuff too.

ancientgirl
July 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Reebok!

badger
July 27th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I think Rick may be right. He's finished.

Lukka'sma
July 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM
from sports illustrated

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/24/case.against.vick0730/1.html

Lukka'sma
July 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I think Rick may be right. He's finished.

His ball playing days most likely but I think the laws of his state are lacking. From what I can gather dogfighting is a felony under Virginia law, with a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $2,500 fine.

Jim Hall
July 27th, 2007, 02:44 PM
he is being tried in federal court the maximum is 6 years and 350,000 dollars

chico2
July 27th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I have a real problem with his court date not beeing before November,hopefully people will still keeps this horrible man in their thoughts,too often these kind of things are forgotten.
After reading the Sports Illustrated article(thank's Lukkas mom)there seem to be enough evidence for a conviction:fingerscr
People who abuse animals or children do not have a good time in prison:pray:

want4rain
July 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM
My 9 year old son walked in the door just as they started showing the dog fighting part on Paula Zahn last night. He stood there, eyes glued to the television in horror. He watched about 2 minutes of the dog fight, came over to me, buried his head in my shoulder and cried. He was mortified to learn that children his age could possibly be involved in something so disgusting and horrific.

we were flipping channels when that popped on, i usually have Cailyn turn away from things like that (8yo and insanely sensitive) but both of us sat there stunned. she started crying because one of the dogs looked like my moms Conrad, a bullie. i wonder how much gentleness these people see as children. at age 8 would they have turned their faces to their mothers and cried?

-ashley

chico2
July 27th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I am 63 and cannot watch anything that horrible without nightmares,so I don't.
Kids,if not taught to respect and love animals,will unfortunately never have the pleasure of knowing how much love an animal can give.
If a "football hero"is ok with this practise,enjoys watching animals tear themselves apart,an 8yr old,would probably think it's fully acceptable.

Love4himies
July 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I can't even watch two men boxing at their own free will, let alone dogs who have been trained to fight tearing each other apart.

I hope Vick is finished.

Has anyone heard anything further on Nike's stand with Vick??

Lukka'sma
July 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM
With any luck he will have more charges in the works. I would hope animal cruelty as well as tax evasion, once you add those to his dog fighting charge maybe they can up the prison time.

Lukka'sma
July 27th, 2007, 11:30 PM
If a "football hero"is ok with this practise,enjoys watching animals tear themselves apart,an 8yr old,would probably think it's fully acceptable.

Aw yes, a good point chico. I say that because there seems to be such a hero worship in the states for any pro athletes.

Lukka'sma
July 28th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Has anyone heard anything further on Nike's stand with Vick??

More Breaking News: NIKE has suspended their lucrative contract with Michael Vick Without Pay!--Nike has had contracts with Vick since 2001---starting to snowball now

chico2
July 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Oh no,those pics:sad:
Reebock(sp?)has also suspended their contract for Vicks jerseys:thumbs up
Even if he gets no jailtime,his famed life as a football hero is over,I hope:fingerscr

Jim Hall
July 28th, 2007, 09:42 AM
More Breaking News: NIKE has suspended their lucrative contract with Michael Vick Without Pay!--Nike has had contracts with Vick since 2001---starting to snowball now

yeah now if nike would stop making thier syuff in the far east where workers get about a dollar a day they might actually be an etnical comoany

Love4himies
July 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM

He He looks like all our e-mails to Nike made a difference. Hope and his dog fighting buddies rot in hell:evil: .

Lukka'sma
July 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Last evening I posted some very graphic photos of dogs that have been entered into a fighting ring. This morning I removed them.
My reason for posting them was because I don't think too many people realize how vicious and just how brutal these fights can be, lasting for hours at times, and I wanted to boost the fury of members here and make sure everyone was aware of how horrible this situation is, not just in the Vick case but all over. Dog fighting is very big business all around the world.
My reason for removing them oddly enough was the exact same as my reason for posting them. They are graphic and show just how vicious and brutal these fights can be. I think having the knowledge of these poor dogs (photo's not necessary) and their situation is enough to enrage members and visitors to email the links provided and try and make a difference for these poor animals.

Here's a Falcon's feedback site:
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/About/Contact_Us.aspx

Carl.Francis@nflplayers.com

To phone the NFL Public Relations (you may have to leave a message), call: (212) 450-2000

Roger Goodell's Email Address (NFL Commissioner)
Roger.Goodell2@nfl.net

ChancesMom
August 8th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I am not sure if any of you heard about the Michael Vick chew toy....

http://www.vickdogchewtoy.com/

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6862/vickstoyax0.jpg

“Vick’s” Chew Toy
Let your dog begin chewing today!

Buy it Now!

Only $10.99 plus $2.00 S&H

Please allow 2 - 3 weeks for deliveryCurrent orders begin shipping August 7th 2007
…………..Back orders are now being accepted

for shipping beginning September 7th 2007

all packages delivered via USPS

The Official Vick’s Dog Chew Toy

Is it different you ask? You bet it is! Vick’s Dog Chew Toy is made of state of the art “dog” material. The Vick’s Toy Doll is so strong and flexible, it will challenge every breed. Especially The Pit Bull.

Unlike other toys, our manufacturer is so sure of its durability they guarantee it against the most playful dog destruction. It Bends. It Bounces. It Flies. It Floats. And best of all, it lasts through the whole season and more!

Get Your Official Vick’s Dog Chew Toy today!

They are also all over Ebay with big price tags.... and there are quite a few articles out there on it if you hit google.

This company is taking a big risk as to be sued for using his likeness... but it sure is funny! :crazy: