Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat drinking excessive amount of water and panting

Sea_Shell
July 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM
10 yr old cat, she drinks excessive amounts of water and she has recently started panting, she is an indoor cat, so she can not be hot.
She has a good appetite, ( but she drinks so much water), her urine output is good and normal. Is this something I should worry about???

Please any input would be helpful.
God Bless
Sea_Shell
:cat:

sugarcatmom
July 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM
How long has she been drinking so much water? The open mouth breathing is the most immediate concern and if it were me, I'd be taking her to the emergency. Could be a heart issue, could be any number of things actually, but only your vet can properly diagnose the problem.

Good luck!

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Please take her to the VET asap, she will need a blood & urine panel done at her age which will help to determine any hidden conditions.

Yes they still can get hot inside depending on the temp of the room

However IMO & at her age it sounds like she might be having signs of diabetes or kidney disesase.

She MUST see a vet. Even if her test results come back normal, you will feel better that she had them done & will give the Vet a good comparason for the when the tests need to be done again

IMO Every cat over the age of 8 should have yearly blood & urine tests to make sure everything is fine - cats are so good @ hiding sickness that often times when signs are seen it is in the later stages of something.

This is just to relate how important regular screening is:
My Duffy :cat: had her first blood & urine screens done 2 years ago (she was 14 yrs then) & thankfully we caught Hyperthyroidism very very early, she was treated & is now cured:)

Good luck & keep us updated