Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The boys and the Great Outdoors

dtbmnec
July 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM
So I've been taking my boys out on leashes/harnesses on occasion this summer. All has been going well...

Except now LEO wants to get out ALLLL the time. I mean if you open the door you have worry about a cat coming out with you. He can be up on the second floor and before you know it he's at your ankles trying to get outside with you.

Its been frustrating for my parents because they have to wrestle with the cats as they go off to work in the mornings.

I've put their collars on but you can't really yank the poor things to keep them in place or anything and quite often my parents have their hands full. I can't keep the harnesses on all the time because the boys hate it (and it irritated Pawz's skin at one point too and that was rather icky).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Megan

P.S. I try to take them out most days but even in the rain they want to go out...so I let them out...thirty seconds after the rain was pouring on them they went back to the door LOL...this STILL hasn't phased the little devils!

Melinda
July 17th, 2007, 04:49 PM
my sister has hers trained to follow her with treats , so when she's about to leave for work she puts a few treats in their dish, they go eat them and she leaves with no cats trying to get out.

dtbmnec
July 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM
my sister has hers trained to follow her with treats , so when she's about to leave for work she puts a few treats in their dish, they go eat them and she leaves with no cats trying to get out.

Hmm that might work....Or else they'll get fat :p

LOL not likely to happen, the zoomies are a regular part of this house anymore in life :)

I shall have to run the idea by mom and dad. Could be fun since they leave at different times :)

Now I'm really getting visions of fat kitties! LOL

Anyone else?

Megan

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I know you said they often have their hands full heading out the door so how about a baby gate?? Put it across the hallway maybe five feet from the door or closer if there are other doorways in that area or it can go across the doorway to the hall. This of course will only work if the cats won't climb or jump it, baby gates are usually around 28 inches high so they can be stepped over by adults, the easiest ones are spring-loaded so they will fit across many hall/door widths & not have to be opened therefore no excape route.

dtbmnec
July 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I know you said they often have their hands full heading out the door so how about a baby gate?? Put it across the hallway maybe five feet from the door or closer if there are other doorways in that area or it can go across the doorway to the hall. This of course will only work if the cats won't climb or jump it, baby gates are usually around 28 inches high so they can be stepped over by adults, the easiest ones are spring-loaded so they will fit across many hall/door widths & not have to be opened therefore no excape route.

:laughing: A baby gate would work...if Leo wouldn't jump it...

We brought them into the house about two months ago. We had placed a 6 foot material cutting board (the ones you can sew with and all that) and LEO JUMPED it.

Hmmmm....

Megan

jiorji
July 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM
no...NOTHING will hold a cat back from jumping to get outside. I've tried eveything. A baby gate won't work trust me. Nor will something that will block their vision so they won't know that the door is open. My Twiggy hears the door opening and she's right there first one to go out lol

I used to put canvasses to block the doorway but she jumps over. baby gates and chicken wire, etc will only help them get a better grip to jump over :evil:

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
:laughing: A baby gate would work...if Leo wouldn't jump it...

We brought them into the house about two months ago. We had placed a 6 foot material cutting board (the ones you can sew with and all that) and LEO JUMPED it.

Hmmmm....

Megan

well I guess it's time for a second door in the hallway a couple of feet from the front door to create an entrance room:D

Since I'm now in an apartment Duffy does occasionally try to go for a walk down the apt hallway but she has never bolted for the door she comes cautiously (she not a people cat [except for family] so she's a bit scared of other people sounds on the other side of the door) & I can stop her by putting my foot as a barrier infront of the door & gently moving her away.

dtbmnec
July 18th, 2007, 12:39 AM
well I guess it's time for a second door in the hallway a couple of feet from the front door to create an entrance room:D

Since I'm now in an apartment Duffy does occasionally try to go for a walk down the apt hallway but she has never bolted for the door she comes cautiously (she not a people cat [except for family] so she's a bit scared of other people sounds on the other side of the door) & I can stop her by putting my foot as a barrier infront of the door & gently moving her away.

Oh how I wish it were that easy....

Building a second door just doesn't work either because we're renting and (of course) the bathroom door is like RIGHT THERE where you'd like to build a second doorway....le sigh...

Alright....so maybe if my parents carry lazer pointers and turn them on at the cats it might work?

Megan

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2007, 12:55 AM
They could head for the door w/ "guarenteed cat must play with it toy" rattle the door knob first, so the cats think they're leaving NOW then throw said toy down the hall, the cats run after it & parents make their escape? How about that??

Yes I know I'm reaching but I'll have to think on it some more (cuz I never had this problem:D )

:crazy: :D