- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


My dog ate a rat

July 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM
well...first of all i want to say hi since this is my first post

well, here's my problem:
we went out camping and on the way home my dog found a dead rat and ate it, this was like a week ago, since then in her mood/behavior nothing changed, she is as happy and as active and as lazy as before

so my question is should i be concerned? i read that the rats head can be infected or some sort


July 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I would be concerned with parasites...I think it is best to get your dog checked by the vet just in case. The vet may choose to give her a dewormer just to be on the safe side.:shrug:

Because the rat was dead, I would also be wondering about a toxin. You said she is acting normally, but I would still keep a close eye and mention it to the vet.

July 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
alright, il try to take her to the vet tomorrow after i get home from work