Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

7 yr. old lab with elevated creatinine level

jenebeka
July 17th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I have a 7 year old chocolate labrador (Hershey) that I love so much. About three or four years ago, her bloodwork came back with a slightly elevated creatinine level. My vet put her on Eukanuba Early Stage (Renal) food. Her levels have been normal for the past 3 years or so.

Hershey had her annual visit yesterday and had the blood panel run. Her creatinine level is slightly elevated again. My vet wants to draw blood again in a week. And, Hershey can't urinate for 4 hours prior to the appointment.

Hershey has been feeling fine, her usual crazy lab self. Her urination and water intake has been normal as well.

What happens next? Have any of you been through this too? I'm so upset. I know that I am doing the best I can for her but I can't help but worry. Hershey has been so healthy. Waiting a week is going to drive me crazy too since I am so worried.

jenebeka
July 17th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I'm bumping this up...anyone that has been through this, please reply.

Thanks!
Jenny

otter
July 17th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Jenny, I sure wish I could help!!

My thoughts and :pray: s are with you and Hershey. Think good thoughts and give him lots of love. Try not to worry to much until you know the facts.
Lots of :grouphug: s for you both.

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 10:38 PM
jenebeka did the Vet just tell you the creatine level was elevated or do you have a copy of the blood work? I'm asking because my answer to your question depends on if a certain other level is also elevated.

I'm hestitant to mention what the other level is because I'm not a vet & don't want to give you wrong information if it has nothing to do with the level I have in mind.

I always ask for a copy of the test results (which your vet should be happy to give you) however I also do know how to read the results.

:goodvibes: & :fingerscr for good test results & a :grouphug: for you & Hershey

keep us posted as to how Hershey is doing:) can we see pics? please?

Dr Lee
July 18th, 2007, 12:55 AM
While elevated creatinine levels can be of concern, they need to be evaluated side by side with a urinalysis. Some highly muscled dogs will have slightly elevated creatinine outside the normal range with normal renal function. A urinalysis and repeat creatinine are a great idea - sounds like your veterinarian has a good plan.

If the urinalysis confirms that the elevated creatinine is kidney based, there are a lot of new options for pets now. Pets with kidney problems are leading longer lives with high quality of life. If there is kidney problems, it sounds like the progression is slow - this is positive. It is also a good sign that your pet feels great.

Let us know how it goes. :pawprint:

jenebeka
July 18th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Thank you so much for the kind replies and information. I'm hoping that Hershey is one of the "highly muscled" dogs that sometimes have elevated creatinine levels with normal renal function. Of course, I'm not a doctor so I don't know if she fits into the "muscle" category or now...Hershey is the kind of lab that is tall, long-legged, with the sleeker face (instead of the shorter stockier kind with the block face). She is extremely athletic. So, I'm hoping that she is still normal. If not, then I will take whatever steps necessary to take care of her and keep her comfortable as long as possible.

I know I need to post a picture. :) I promise I will do so soon!

Thanks again everyone! Keep Hershey in your prayers for good news next week! I will keep all of you in my prayers too.

Jenny