Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to treat car injured dos/cats?

Okami
July 17th, 2007, 05:59 AM
=( today I was driving and I saw a cat literaly run over a cat, I pulled over immedietly and pulled the cat to the side, the stupid jerk just drove off after!
After I picked the cat up and placed him to the side of the road I noticed he was twitching alot and breathing heavily, there was also a large amount of blood he was loosing but I couldn't locate where it was coming from. =( About 2 minutes later he stopped twitching, lifted up a hind leg then stopped breathing.

I feel so horrid when I see these things happen, is there anything I could do to help an animal that has just been hit by a car?

Hunter's_owner
July 17th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Bringing them to the vet is about the only thing you can do.
In many cases though time doesn't allow to do that, and in many cases, even then there is nothing that can be done.

So sad:sad: You did what you could I am sure:grouphug:

Love4himies
July 17th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Oh my, how horrible for you. I don't think there was anything physical you could have done for that poor kitty, but to be there for him, while he passed. The jerk will get "his" one day, what goes around, comes around.

Did he have a collar on, or look like he was loved by somebody?

Okami
July 17th, 2007, 08:56 AM
=( I hope the little guy passed on well. I tried checking for a tag but there wasn't even a collar, seems like he was hanging out with two other cats though, when he passed the 2 cats stood there watching him until he died =(.

scratch06
July 17th, 2007, 09:47 AM
One day my daughter and I were on the road and we saw from a distance something crawling across the road. When we got closer we saw it was a kitten dragging his back legs. He hurried across the road then layed down it was like he knew he made it across. My daughter was sceaming for me to stop for him but we were about to enter a tunnel and it was hard to pullover. So when we got out of the tunnel I turned around and went back but he was not there. I don't know if someone picked him up :fingerscr are he continued to drag himself. We even parked a distance and walked around. Needless to say our day was spent wondering and worrying about the kitten. I think its very sad that people can hit are run over animals and just keep going.

krdahmer
July 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM
:sad: poor kitty

And bless you for stopping and at least trying. It happens so much especially on highways, a poor animal is hit and maybe even can still be saved yet hundreds upon hundreds drive by. I couldn't live with myself.

A while back I ran over a cat, me, the cat lady, it happened so fast there was nothing I could do to avoid the poor thing, I tried and may have done alright. I whipped my car over and went back, thankfully my husband was behind me and stopped too. The cat was in the middle of the lane just sitting there all fluffed out. There was no blood and it actually looked alright (internally I don't know :sad: ). My hero hubby grabbed it by the scruff and put it in my backseat so I could take it to the emergency vet. Only when I opened my door to get in, the cat bolted out of the car back across the street (:eek: ) and then into a car lot. We looked and looked but could not find it. The car lot was in a subdivision so we figure the cat was running home. The way that poor little guy took off I hope he was alright. I didn't hit him with the wheels, so maybe he was just tossed around a bit underneath. I can only hope for the best for him, but there was no question of 'should i stop?'... I just did.

Now I carry at least a pillow case in the trunk (if not a carrier), and I found a bunch of websites that have pet first aid tips. I'll post the links...

http://www.pgaa.com/feline/health/catcpr.html
http://www.cat-world.com.au/HeimlichManoeuvreInCats.htm
http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/clinsci/wing/firstaid/firstaid.htm
http://www.preparenow.org/fa-anim.html

But of course the most important thing is to know of or find an emergency vet in the area and get there asap.

:goodvibes: