Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Will my cat ever stop this?

patriciagtafons
July 17th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Hi!

I have a cat (she's 3 months and a half) and she's the sweetest thing in the world: she sleeps close to me, sometimes even holds my hands, and licks me when I get home or when she's sleepy. She even lets me bathe her and wait very patiently (as long as I kiss her head and make her feel safe).

HOWEVER her behaviour is quite unpredictable. She bites my hands, arms, lips and nose, when she's full of energy and feels like running and playing like mad.

Is there a way to stop this? I've read about this problem, but I don't know what to do because I've made toys for her, but she still bites me when I move my hands. :frustrated:

By the way, now it hurts more than ever. How can I prevent her from sharpening her teeth (she rubs them against each other)?

Thank you,
Patricia

Love4himies
July 17th, 2007, 07:46 AM
She may be teething right now so feeling an urge to bite, if so, this will pass. One rule I start my cats off with, playing with hands is a not allowed and if they bite or scratch, I immediately take my hand away and stop what I was doing with them (patting/brushing/playing). They seem to get the message quite quickly that biting/scratching me means the end of attention time.

chico2
July 17th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Your kitten IMO is more than likely teething,there is no way to prevent her from grinding her teeth.
Since you are not talking about beeing scratched,maybe your kitten is declawed:sad: ??? it could explain some of her behavior:sad:

badger
July 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM
When you are playing with her, keep your hands away, use a toy instead, like a wand or a string wrapped around a ball of scrunched-up paper. And when she goes to bite, make an unexpected noise, like AAAGGGH!! or a loud hiss (and use it only for those times, like a command), and then withdraw your attention briefly.
You're her mother now, teaching her (kindly) the limits of what she can and can't do. If she's alone all day, she'll have plenty of pent-up kitten energy to spend when you get back. So don't expect her to just want to cuddle! A laser pointer is good, you can even lie down while using it :) .
Why are you giving her baths? Not a good idea, unless she falls in the toilet or meets a skunk. Cats are self-cleaning. All you're doing is drying out her skin and setting her up for a case of the scratchies.
Any chance of a picture?

chico2
July 17th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Badger,I forgot about the baths,cats do NOT need baths,I have had cats most of my life never have I given one a bath.
Except when I got little white Vinnie off the streets,who was really,really dirty..

I_love_mischa
July 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Wow..My kitten does the same thing....I never thought of yelling something when my kitten scratches my hands or bites them. Good Idea!! Anytime he bites my hands or scratches me I just don't move my hands, or I ignore him. He seems to get the picture, but then my boyfriend comes home and starts playing with him (with his hands) and doesn't listen to me. My kitten is very attatched to me, he cuddles me all day, sits on my shoulders when I'm on the computer, and follows me from room to room. One thing I cannot STAND is him waking me up in the morning. He sleeps in my bed with me, on my pillow, and as soon as the sun comes up (literally) he starts meowing in my face and rubbing his face ALL OVER ME. So I usually get up, and put him in his litter box and try to go back to bed. It's gotten to the point where I have to lock him out of my room when he gets up in the morning, and I feel really bad. When I ignore him, he starts to bite my hands and scratch them. What should I do? I love him to death and I know he just wants attention so I feel bad for getting mad, but I can't get up at 6:00 in the morning everyday and give him that much attention! Any advice?

badger
July 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
He's probably hungry. Put a little dry kibble in a bowl somewhere handy and when you boot him out of the room in the morning, give it to him. It should keep him quiet for at least awhile. And whenever he bites and scratches, correct him, it will definitely help. Where else can he learn his manners but from you?

I_love_mischa
July 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Well, when I boot him out of my room in the morning he does go and eat. He has the whole house to himself when I do it but he doesn't like to be alone. He is sleeping right next to me now, he literally wants to be included in everything. I think it's my fault because when I first got him, I thought it was cute so I'd get up and start playing with him, but now I don't. I guess his manners are gonna have to start being taught very soon! Sometimes he lets me sleep, but almost always he wakes me up. Does anybody else let there cats sleep with them? If so, do they wake you up too?

chico2
July 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I have 3 cats sleeping in bed with me and IMO,if you have cats,dogs or kids,sleeping in late is a thing of the past:laughing:
Of course you can put him out and close the door,eventually he'll get used to it and not meow anymore,I hope,or get yourself a set of earplugs:cat:

badger
July 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Oh yeah, and when I lock them out they hang around outside the door and inevitably a scuffle breaks out, at which point I leap out of bed (or throw a shoe against the door, if one is within reach). But by then I'm awake and what the hell...so it's either getting my nose clawed or breaking up world war 3 (I exaggerate)...

chico2
July 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Badger:laughing: :laughing: I know what you mean:laughing:

I_love_mischa
July 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Well...it feels really good to know he's not the only cat who does it! I guess I won't feel bad for putting him out of the room now. He'll either learn or he won't! I can't imagine having more than one cat in bed with me! lol:laughing: Sounds crazy! Thanks for your help!