Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Peeing/Vomitting HELP!

FluffyMichelle
July 16th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I got my cat (Fluffy) 14 years ago when I was 4 years old. Obviously he's very old at this point and my parents are constantly bringing up the issue of "he needs to be put down". This is REALLY hard for me to hear everyday and I'm trying to get as many outside opinions as I can. Fluffy is peeing and vomitting almost daily, and I think it IS time for him to be put down. BUT, I could be wrong. Do you really think "it's time"?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I'M DESPERATE. :pray:

sugarcatmom
July 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Oh my gosh, don't tell my 14yr old cat that he's old and should be put down! I'm sure he'd have a different opinion on the matter. Many cats live into their 20s (and in the latest Cat Fancy magazine, there were a couple of 'em over 30) so don't be giving up on your guy just yet.

First, when you say he's "peeing daily" do you mean he's peeing outside his litter box? Is he peeing more than usual? When was the last time he went for a check-up? Whatever the case, he should probably be seeing a vet now for a urine and blood panel. He may just have something easily treatable, and wouldn't your folks feel bad if they had him killed for no good reason other than he was getting "elderly"?

FluffyMichelle
July 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM
yeah he is peeing outside his litter box.. like in the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms. hes also puking, which is kinda odd. but i liked your "dont give up" response. UGGGH I really hate this, i love him sooo much and my entire family dislikes him so my parents arent willing to pay for a vet which sucks.

heidiho
July 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM
14 years they have had the act and they dont want to at least take to vet and see what is going on??Wow,ok.

sugarcatmom
July 16th, 2007, 07:45 PM
yeah he is peeing outside his litter box.. like in the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms. hes also puking, which is kinda odd. but i liked your "dont give up" response. UGGGH I really hate this, i love him sooo much and my entire family dislikes him so my parents arent willing to pay for a vet which sucks.

Unfortunately, they don't have a choice, your cat MUST see a vet. Their attitude that a living creature is just something to dispose of when it gets old or sick or they "don't like it anymore" is inhumane and selfish. Hey, how 'bout you tell them that you'll remember their treatment of this poor cat when they get old and infirm and start to pee their pants. My grandparents are in their 80s and can't get around very easily so I do their shopping almost every weekend. Do I always like doing it? No. But it's the right thing to do. Tell your folks to buck up and act responsibly. What kind of example are they setting?. If they still won't do it, then is there anyone else you can borrow money from? There are groups out there (http://www.imom.org/) that will help with vet costs, but they don't usually cover diagnostics.

Anyway, I wish you luck and I hope you can help your kitty. He doesn't deserve this.

FluffyMichelle
July 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM
THANK YOU for your input, guys. i just spoke to my parents and i mentioned the points you made in your replies and they have agreed to take him to the vet! i cannot thank you enough. =)

badger
July 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Good news, because it really sounds as if he is suffering. I hope you'll go to the vet with him because his treatment is likely to cost a few dollars and at that point some people decide it's too much and have the animal euthanized. I'm not saying that's the case with your parents (or that his treatment will be expensive), I just think you should be there in case he needs you to speak for him.
Please let us know what happens.

sugarcatmom
July 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Yay, I am so relieved to hear that! Good for you for standing strong! As badger said, go with him to the vet since you are apparently his biggest advocate and will probably have to take responsibility for whatever treatment Fluffy might need. Do let us know what the results are. Lots of people here have been through many different issues with their pets and no doubt somebody will be able to offer you advice or insight. In the meantime, here is a website that discusses litter box related problems: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

Here's hoping that it's an easy fix like a diet change. Good luck. :fingerscr