Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick girl

lagourley3
July 16th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I have a 4 year old female who has been on her heat cycle for about three weeks now. This weekend she became really weak and is having a problem just getting up to go outside. Yesterday she was whining a little but when we would coax her to go outside and she did her business, she would stop. She has been going to the bathrrom ok and she has been eating and drinking water. She is still however discharging blood. It is very dark red. Also, her eyes are matted and sometimes she acts like she can't see but blinks when you follows her toys when we put them in front of her.

She is a rescue we got last summer and had her checked out. She was negative for heart worms and had a litter of pups last year. She didn't have any problems with the birthing and was a great mother. We had decided to have her spayed after she was through with this cycle. We have made sure that she has stayed in the house away from our male boxer and have been with her each time she has been outside to do her business. So I would be VERY surprised if she were pregnant.

Has anyone had a female that had such problems with a heat cycle?

clm
July 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
You need to get her to a vet, I would be very concerned about the blood loss being something else, especially as she is getting weak. You can get her spayed while you're there. I'm wondering if you have an intact male boxer, why you've waited so long to get her fixed?

Cindy

lagourley3
July 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Because she is full-blooded and a well mannered and a beautiful dog, we had thought about breeding her to our male. But we just decided we didn't want to do it because there are so many dogs in the paper needing homes.

We have breed our male twice but are now dicussing having him spayed as well. We did get either dog to breed like a lot of people do. There is a big problem in our area with "puppy mills". We got our male as a puppy and have raised him as a part of our family.

The female was on the verge of being but down because the girl who had her couldn't find a home for her and couldn't take care of her and was going to have her put to sleep. My son told us about her and we said we would take her and she has now become a part of the family and one of the best dogs I have every had. But I am still, after a year, learning about her personality and health. This is the first heat cycle since we got her as she was pregnant when we got her. After the puppies were born, we took her and the puppies to the vet and they all checked out ok.

LavenderRott
July 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
There is so very much more to breeding then just being "full-blooded" and well mannered.

Please, take her to the vet.

rainbow
July 16th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I agree and would get her to the vet asap. Good luck and post with an update. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

CyberKitten
July 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I agree! This poor girl need to be apayed asap - maybe you can have your boxer neutered at the same time - as you noted, there are too many pets now who need homes- overpopulation of pets is at an all time crisis so doing it yourself is never a good option!

Good luck - I hope she'll be OK!!! Please keep us informed! I thin you are making a wise choice by spaying her!! :fingerscr