Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

concerned for missy

fran135
July 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM
dear readers, missy is a shepard mix about 2 yrs old, i noticed yesterday that her vulva was very red and swollen, we took her to the beach yesterday and there was a male dog there that would just not leave her alone, he was acting like she was in heat yet she has been spayed about a year ago. i don't understand whats going on with this. any suggestions????

LavenderRott
July 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I would take her to a different vet and have her checked. Sounds like she is in heat to me. :eek:

Love4himies
July 16th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Could they have left an ovary in when she was spayed??

rainbow
July 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
It does sound like she is in heat. Have you had Missy since she was a pup and got her spayed yourself or did you get her later and were "told" she was spayed?

Irregardless, she needs to be seen by a vet. If she is definitely spayed and her vulva is red and swollen then she likely has a vaginal infection. If she is not spayed then you need to make arrangements to do so asap.

fran135
July 17th, 2007, 06:30 AM
we haven't had missy from a pup, we were given her by a lady that had found her roaming the streets, no one claimed her so we took her.she was maybe 9 or 10 months old. we took her to the vet and had her spayed and micro chipped so i know that it was done. the redness and swelling doesn't seem to bother her she's not licking or anything but it sure is bothering me. she came to us just a few months after our beloved dog roscoe had passed away, (he was a stray puppy that we took in and had him 16 years.)

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Sounds like she needs to be looked at by the vet, fran. It could be some sort of infection. It doesn't necessarily take a heat cycle to interest other dogs--if one of our girls gets a urinary tract infection, usually the first symptom we notice is that all the other dogs (boys and girls) start sniffing her. :shrug:

I hope she's better soon! :fingerscr Please let us know what the vet says.