Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hazel Run Pack puppy pictures: King Ember and Princess Lil Belle

hazelrunpack
July 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Ember and Lil Belle were born on Aug 27, 2002. We just happened to have a visit to the breeder planned for Aug 28, 2002--we were picking up Cass that day. So I was able to snap a shot of the litter under the heat lamp while Mama Autumn was out for a potty break:

Since we were looking for a boy, we didn't pay much attention to the girls. Oh, how we regret not taking both Ember and Lil Belle that day! Things would have gone so much happier for Lil Belle... :sad:

But hindsight is 20/20 and we were still blinded by the present...we only really looked at the boys a few weeks later when we returned to make our first pick:

Although hubby originally wanted one of the others, hazel immediately fell in love with Ember. And by the time it came to make a final choice, hubby had also fallen in love with the little munchkin.

Although the King won't admit it, he really was much smaller at one time:

growler~GateKeeper
July 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
OMG OMG they are way too cute to be legal:laughing:
*sigh* puppy love:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
July 15th, 2007, 10:34 PM
We did take notice of Lil Belle the day we picked up Ember to bring him home. The Princess was showing off with her royal brother. We did actually talk about taking her, too, but it was a joke...all the pups had homes to go to. The Princess's first one just didn't turn out to be the best, unfortunately. :frustrated:

She was a beautiful little girl, though, don't you think? :lovestruck: And hazel is so grateful that she got at least a few puppy pictures of her Princess.

Here's one of Lil Belle and Ember both:

otter
July 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
A mass of warm and fuzzy baby setters, now that's :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

At least things worked out for Lil Belle in the end ... and in my world it's the ending that's the most important part (since i've only ever adopted dogs in the "prime" of their lives:D )

hazelrunpack
July 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Ember always looked so sweet and innocent...

27169 27170

...until you saw the mischief in his eye. He used to run commando raids on our hands--and showed no mercy! This was when I discovered how wonderful bicycle gloves are in the puppy-raising process. :laughing:

I assure you, he thoroughly earned this T-shirt a friend of mine made for him (I still have it :D):

growler~GateKeeper
July 15th, 2007, 10:41 PM
oooo I'm so glad you got baby Lil Belle pics too.

So cute. :cloud9: I'm running out of *sighs* I'll need oxygen soon:D :laughing: :crazy: Good idea of mine to start the baby puppy pack pics thread eh?

So innocent Ember:lovestruck:

luckypenny
July 15th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Hazelrunpack, now I truly understand how you've turned into the crazy dog lady ;) . Who wouldn't? Ember and Lil Belle were too cute. How you didn't walk away with the entire litter is beyond me :D .

hazelrunpack
July 15th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Ember always was a handsome dude:

27172 27173

He grew up to be King at Hazel Run. Princess Lil Belle eventually found her way back to the breeder, and from there, to Hazel Run in the autumn of 2004. The following year, the King and Princess made a special visit to MN to celebrate their 3rd birthday with their Mama, Autumn:

Mama Autumn (far left) is, of course, very proud of how well her children turned out. :dog:

hazelrunpack
July 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
How you didn't walk away with the entire litter is beyond me :D .

Believe me, the thought did cross my mind! :laughing: :crazy:

Growler--it was a great idea to do the puppy pack thread...only now I'll be up late doing one more of Ridge and Macie! :rolleyes: Tomorrow I won't be able to sign on at all until I get all caught up with some other stuff I should be working on instead. :D I feel so decadently self-indulgent right now, though! :evil:

growler~GateKeeper
July 15th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Love the Ember puppy ears!!!!:D

rainbow
July 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I love Embers "innocent pics". :cloud9:

Hunter's_owner
July 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
OMG they are the cutest :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks, guys. :o

We thought they were pretty cute, too. :lovestruck: hazel's a sucker for puppy eyes...that's why she now has 14! :laughing: puppy eyes, that is! :D

TeriM
July 17th, 2007, 01:31 AM
She was a beautiful little girl, though, don't you think? :lovestruck: And hazel is so grateful that she got at least a few puppy pictures of her Princess.

Oh yes, definately agree :lovestruck: and I LOOVVEE innocent Ember :cloud9: .

So at what age do the spots start coming in and for how long do they develop?

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 01:33 AM

Isn't he sooo cute w/his orange eye patch:lovestruck:

LibbyP
July 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Oh My Goodness, Hazel how could I have missed this post about your(or should I say my??) darling? She was possibly the cutest Lil' girl around and grew up to be quite the looker. I LLLLOVE the pic with their mama, thanks for sharing :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2007, 09:44 AM

If the pup is a belton (adult coat is white, with colored freckles and dark ears), it will often be born totally white. The blues and tricolors sometimes show some dark spots or a dark nose pretty quickly. Orange beltons are usually just white at birth.

Blue patches usually show up right away--so if there is a blue or tri patch puppy in the litter, you can usually see some dark. The tris look like blues till the tan pigment starts showing up. Orange patches may take a little longer to show up, but typically they show up before the freckles come in. So on the pic of Ember and some of his brothers, you can see the eye patches, but not the freckles, yet, on the oranges.

Pigment continues to pile on for at least a number of months. Ember had a 'tear drop' shaped unpigmented spot on one of his eyelids until he was about three-and-a-half, at which point it finally pigmented in. So the pigment can change for quite a while.

We'd always had beltons, so Ember's patch looked strange to us at first. But I think it lent him an air of mischief when he was a pup, don't you, growler? :D Now, of course, it gives his royal majesty a dignified look. :dog:

You didn't miss it for so long, LibbyP! :D I just put the pics up a couple of days ago...sort of late in the evening, too. It was a gross display of self-indulgence cuz there was so much else that I needed to be doing! :o I'm glad you enjoyed them. :D Your Lil Belle was certainly the Beauty even back then!

Frenchy
July 17th, 2007, 10:10 PM
omg omg omg :cloud9: :lovestruck: no other words come to mind :D they are way too cute ! So I don't remember , what happen with Lil Belle first family ?

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 10:52 PM
We'd always had beltons, so Ember's patch looked strange to us at first. But I think it lent him an air of mischief when he was a pup, don't you, growler? :D Now, of course, it gives his royal majesty a dignified look. :dog:

Definately HRP so very cute :cloud9: kinda looks like he's raising an eyebrow at you wondering just what he can get away with:D

Lil Belle *sigh*:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2007, 11:35 PM
So I don't remember , what happen with Lil Belle first family ?

There are things we know...and things we only suspect from her reactions. Of the things we know: First of all, the guy had one of those invisible fences for his yard...and also had some training pigeons. He put the pigeon coop just outside the perimeter of the invisible fence. So every time she went to check out the birds, she got shocked. Then he expected her to be joyful out in a field at the game farm and point lots of birds! :rolleyes: This from a self-proclaimed great field trainer! :frustrated:

He didn't vaccinate her against Lyme's disease. He complained that some days she'd hunt okay, on others she wouldn't even get out of the truck. That was Lyme's disease kicking in, but he never took her in to get checked. It wasn't till 6 months or so later, when we got her, that a snaptest showed the presence of Lyme's disease. By then she had a chronic case and still needs treatment for flareups.

He wanted a belton, but had to "settle for" a patch since there were no beltons available for him by the time he picked. He never forgave her the fact that she had an eyepatch, has an ear that goes into "helicopter mode" once in a while (very cute :lovestruck:), and has a sharp bark and a ready tongue to lick you with...

So after having her in the house for a year, he dumped her back at the breeder's--and tried to stick the breeder for vet bills that didn't exist, to boot. You can tell from the way Lil Belle hangs out in the kitchen and makes use of the furniture, that she was definitely a house dog. So how does a guy take such a loving dog into his house for a year and not fall in love with her?!? She gives her heart to eveyone she meets. How could he do that to her? And how could he miss the fact that she was that sick? He must've been blind. Or maybe he just didn't look at her because she had an eye patch instead of being a belton :rolleyes: :shrug:

Some people...go figure... :mad:

don't get hazel started... :frustrated: there are things we suspect but can't prove that really get her steamed :mad:

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2007, 11:37 PM
kinda looks like he's raising an eyebrow at you wondering just what he can get away with:D

He used to get away with quite a bit, too... :lovestruck: It was hard to discipline him cuz he was just so darn cute! :D even then, hazel was a pushover! :p

growler~GateKeeper
July 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
awwwww :sad: :sad: poor baby Lil Belle :sad: I'm so glad he dropped her back @ the breeders' though instead of somewhere else!!:frustrated: stupid humans:frustrated: :mad:
I see on the HRS site she does wear a flat collar did she have fears to overcome in order to wear it?

How anyone could not fall in love w/her is beyond me.:lovestruck:

No one blames Hazel for being a pushover, I'm one too:D :crazy:
I'm not surprised Hazels' a pushover she has 7 :dog:s after all!! And they're all such cuties how could you not be!!

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Once she figured out she wasn't going to get zapped every time she looked at a critter, she got a lot more relaxed. Her initial reaction pretty much told the story--the details were fleshed out later by the guy's own admission in a chance meeting near his business office.

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2007, 12:59 AM
poor sweet baby Lil Belle :lovestruck: so glad she all better now:lovestruck: I love the Lil Belle is easily entertained video:lovestruck:

Frenchy
July 18th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Poor Lil Belle :sad: stupid stupid man, I hope the breeder didn't give him another Setter :mad:

But Lil Belle is in heaven now :cloud9:

Hunter's_owner
July 18th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Oh wow Hazel. I didn't know that about Lil Belle.

So is such a lucky girlie now though :lovestruck:

mummummum
July 18th, 2007, 03:36 PM
:cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck: ....how many smilie's are we allowed and shouldn't there be special dispensation for puppy pix ???? :cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Poor Lil Belle :sad: stupid stupid man, I hope the breeder didn't give him another Setter :mad:

No, she won't deal with him anymore. He got a Decoverly setter instead and is probably well on his way to doing the same thing to it... :mad:

HO, I asked Lil Belle if she was happy today but she was busy messin' with Brier and didn't have time to answer. I took that as a "yes". :D

MMM, I take it you like puppy pix? Me, too! :cloud9:

Frenchy
July 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM
:laughing: Hazel , who's the one in the right top corner of the last pic ?

roooorrooooo's ! :dog:

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM
:laughing: Hazel , who's the one in the right top corner of the last pic ?

roooorrooooo's ! :dog:

That's Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie. :lovestruck: She loves to referee safely from the sidelines! :dog:

Frenchy
July 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I wish I could hear her :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I wish I could hear her :cloud9:

I probably caught her barking on a video somewhere...problem is, if I turn up the sound while the dogs are in the house, they all start barking at the ruckus on the tape and I can't hear it anyway. :laughing: But if I find a section with Macie roorroorroooing, I'll try to save it out for uploading on a good connection day. :D

Frenchy
July 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I probably caught her barking on a video somewhere...problem is,

The problem is I can't download videos :yell:

rainbow
July 19th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Poor Lil Belle :sad: .....but, I'm glad he took her back to the breeder cuz then she ended up with you. :cloud9:

What is a Decoverly setter? :confused:

CyberKitten
July 20th, 2007, 08:01 PM
OMiGosh, they are sooooooooooooo adorable!!!! :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM
The problem is I can't download videos :yell:

Oh, yeah. :p Me either! I can upload them sometimes, but once they're out there, I can't see them, either :o

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2007, 08:45 PM
What is a Decoverly setter? :confused:

Oops...sorry :o A Decoverly setter is one bred from Decoverly blood lines. There's a well-known breeder out east who is continuing the Decoverly blood lines...

Our dogs are from Aspenglow, Pinecoble, Ryman and October bloodlines, mostly. The names come from the kennels that bred the original dogs of each bloodline....

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM
OMiGosh, they are sooooooooooooo adorable!!!! :cloud9:

Thanks, CK.